• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sookie

I think it's time for me to venture down this road with my gf.
My problem, how on earth can I save for an engagement ring without the mrs asking me "where is xxx amount gone" we have a mortgage together. I will be using my tax return to help with the purchase (around 3k). I am thinking about shoving the tax return into the mortgage and redrawing when I need it. But what do I say? Mrs works for the bank and will notice money missing. What can my excuse be?

I know nothing about engagement rings. Maybe I should do a bit of scouting before considering more money.

I think it's time for me to venture down this road with my gf.
My problem, how on earth can I save for an engagement ring without the mrs asking me "where is xxx amount gone" we have a mortgage together. I will be using my tax return to help with the purchase (around 3k). I am thinking about shoving the tax return into the mortgage and redrawing when I need it. But what do I say? Mrs works for the bank and will notice money missing. What can my excuse be?

I know nothing about engagement rings. Maybe I should do a bit of scouting before considering more money.

Just don't spend that much on it.

^^^^^ Second that, I spend $1500 on my Mrs engagement ring and she has not worn it for over 10 years, what a waste of cash, it's just sitting in a draw.

May be discuss the matter with her first since you already have a mortgage together.

3K is a LOT of $$$ you could buy a half way decent car with that or go on a holiday together, every woman is different, but my missus is not into jewellery and all that stuff so mine was a waste of $$$, at least my marriage has lasted I guess:)

Good luck with your decision mate!

can't understand why people spend big chunks of cash on a rock that gets pulled from the ground by some kid that gets paid chump change in africa

there are far better things to spend the cash on , sure buy a nice ring but don't go overboard on it

Really depends on your prospective wife.
Would she want you spending alot of money on her?

I think I spent $400 for my wifes engagement ring, 11 years later, she doesn't wear it either.
Both of us don't wear our wedding rings too.
It all means nothing.
Waste of money.

OK Sookie, first things first bud, if you're gonna have a long lasting marriage that isnt too painful then you MUST learn to become more devious.

Suggest a weekend getaway and then first thing Sat morning make some excuse to your gf then go to the bank, get the cheque, then get the ring. Have it all pre-arranged with the jeweller. She won't see anything on the work computer on a Saturday so hopefully won't suspect anything. Take her somewhere nice and the rest will hopefully work out well.

Good luck!

whatever you do never pay full retail on jewelery. NEVER.... markups are huge and ridiculous.. if it says 3000 offer 2000. they still making heaps on it.

Hey Sookie...just ventured down that road myself. I went to a wholesale diamond seller and got a pretty good deal from them. You'll save a massive amount of doe compared to retail and they are more open to bargaining. I just Googled one and found a great one in Sydney mate. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Buy something impulsive for bodybuilding for a couple hundred bucks, than say it cost like 2 thousand, she will have the absolute shits with you until you pull the rock out lol

Its a sweet sentiment and it all depends on the lady.
My hubby proposed without a ring, then while planning the wedding we looked at a whole bunch of jewelers even going to wedding expos and talking with white gold artisans. Ended up spending the money on our first house and the Honeymoon. 7 day all inclusive cruise with adventure tours everyday in port :D
Just my personal experience, good luck on this new step in life

Go with my buying something for the house idea. Your going to want to get her something nice cause knowing her she'll always wear it. But yeah bargin hard for it.

Remember to ask her parents, they'll say yes anyway but the guesture will mean alot to them. Ask them when its close to the day your gonna ask incase the secret leaks out. And yeah shop around, knowing her she'll always wear it so get something nice.

I found a ring and had it valued at over $2.5 k once. I found another ring not that long ago havent had it valued. Maybe you should look for rings instead of buying one???

You can also stake out those dodge gold selling places and when desperate people show up offer them more for the gold than the dealer and melt them for a ring of your own?

or mug a home boy and melt down his chains haha just joking but seriously they have loads of gold on them and most are pussies just a thought.

Borrow from your folks.
Then hope the misses is ok with you repaying them lol.

On a different note - I will say this:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YOU FOOL!

Hahaha! Might borrow from her folks lol. Nothing happening yet.

But I have thought of some corny proposal ideas :)
Do you guys wanna hear it?

I found a ring and had it valued at over $2.5 k once. I found another ring not that long ago havent had it valued. Maybe you should look for rings instead of buying one???

You can also stake out those dodge gold selling places and when desperate people show up offer them more for the gold than the dealer and melt them for a ring of your own?

or mug a home boy and melt down his chains haha just joking but seriously they have loads of gold on them and most are pussies just a thought.

Some incredible ideas here! I should invest in a metal detector and trawl the beach, theme parks and shopping centres?

I was in the same situation we had a shared morgage bank accounts etc I had the money but no way of taking that kind of cash with out her noticing so I went to another bank got a small personal loan with no early exit penalties, brought it and then paid the loan out right straight after i proposed.