• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yeah it's old fashioned.
My missus old man laughed at me and said " it's not the fucking 1920's Scott" lol.
He did appreciate the guesture though, abd I'm glad I asked.

I didn't ask my father-in-law, taking a stand against tradition, and at the time my wife thought it was good I didn't. But when my bro-in-law asked permission to marry my wife's sister my wife had changed her tune and wished that I had.

Do you need help picking the ring? Sneak into her jewellery box take pics of what she's got put them on here and we could easily help, congratulations by the way :)

Great stuff Sookie!

I was more nervous asking her old man then I was asking her lol.

I was packing it when I asked the father inlaw, made it a bit easier that I did it at her cousins wedding though.

Also with the ring it all depends, I was only looking at spending about 1k on the ring and get her an awesome wedding band, but then I stumbled across 'the' ring which I remember 4 years prior her saying she wanted when we got married, and how could I say no? Was a 5k ring that I got down to 3k and she loves it, never takes the thing off!

Good for you man.

I say spend as much money as you are comfortable
with.

I would've asked my gal to marry me a whole lot
different if I knew what I know now... then! :eek:

Good luck
Devante.

Yep far more nerve wracking asking the Father In law than the actual proposal I reckon.. Wifes family is pretty old school

As someone said, never pay full price for the ring!! Avoid shopping centers, find a proper jeweler in the city. Good luck with it all!

I didn't ask the father in law for permission, but it wouldve been a nice gesture.

I proposed on Xmas day, the ring was wrapped as a present and made sure she opened that one last! Tears of joy were shed, it was a great morning!! 7 years ago now!!! She still wears the ring too!

As someone said, never pay full price for the ring!! Avoid shopping centers, find a proper jeweler in the city. Good luck with it all!

I didn't ask the father in law for permission, but it wouldve been a nice gesture.

I proposed on Xmas day, the ring was wrapped as a present and made sure she opened that one last! Tears of joy were shed, it was a great morning!! 7 years ago now!!! She still wears the ring too!

That's a nice touch with the ring. I like it!

I avoided the chain jewelry stores and found a nice ring in China town lol.

Im getting married next May and the mo in law has these expectations.... She wants her friends there which i said no. Now the latest is... A dowry. A red envelope with currency featuring both 9 an 8 n something sweet and then there is A tea ceremony which takes place after the reception. I am planning on getting drunk and the last thing i want to do it wake up early for a tea ceremony. Its a Chinese thing. I don't really want to do it. Since we are doing the whole her side of the family tradition but mine.. I think its unfair :(

Should i suck it up and do the damn thing and give the mo in law a big surprise of her life by giving her thousands...?

I avoided the chain jewelry stores and found a nice ring in China town lol.

Im getting married next May and the mo in law has these expectations.... She wants her friends there which i said no. Now the latest is... A dowry. A red envelope with currency featuring both 9 an 8 n something sweet and then there is A tea ceremony which takes place after the reception. I am planning on getting drunk and the last thing i want to do it wake up early for a tea ceremony. Its a Chinese thing. I don't really want to do it. Since we are doing the whole her side of the family tradition but mine.. I think its unfair :(

Should i suck it up and do the damn thing and give the mo in law a big surprise of her life by giving her thousands...?

Ahhhh the old 'who to invite' dilemma.
That was the worst part for us. We had a policy if either one of us hasn't met the person, they weren't invited. Then her mum wanted a friend from work and really dug her heels in about it. Our parents paid for the wedding plus my now mother in law made the wedding dress (works in costume at a huge Sydney theatre) so we ended up just giving in to keep the peace. Was easier that way and we had a great day.
Wait til you have to do the seating arrangement!! Haha

Yeah it pays to shop around or haggle with the one shop, I deliberated buying the ring the Mrs wanted there and then, tried to strike a deal with the bitch behind the counter, they fell a little on the price but wouldn't budge much, went back about a week later and the fucker was on special and over 400 bucks off the original price, then I haggled some more.

lol engagement ring, as a general standard, is roughly meant to be around 3 months wages :cool:

Women have a good idea of what they would like. Some don't care. My brother spent $25,000 on the engagement ring & $5000 on a matching wedding band. He wanted to as he sees it as a lifetime investment & knew it was the ring she wanted. 3 years later that thing still blinds me in the sunlight. Its stunning.

Alot of money though. But to be honest, I've never seen my brother purchase or give anything with quite as much joy in his life. So it was obviously right for him.

She bought him a very expensive tag heuer watch as a wedding gift, he bought her diamond stud earrings to wear on their wedding day....seems like the bride gets a much better deal outta this wedding malarky lol

Hang in there sookie! Remember its your fiance & your wedding day, theres always going to be the pressure of family and/or tradition. Discuss together what you're prepared to do & not do.

Good luck! My sister in law & brother did the whole tea ceremony thing (shes chinese, although was born here & more Aussie than I am!) lol

Looked fun :p

lol engagement ring, as a general standard, is roughly meant to be around 3 months wages :cool:

Women have a good idea of what they would like. Some don't care. My brother spent $25,000 on the engagement ring & $5000 on a matching wedding band. He wanted to as he sees it as a lifetime investment & knew it was the ring she wanted. 3 years later that thing still blinds me in the sunlight. Its stunning.

Alot of money though. But to be honest, I've never seen my brother purchase or give anything with quite as much joy in his life. So it was obviously right for him.

She bought him a very expensive tag heuer watch as a wedding gift, he bought her diamond stud earrings to wear on their wedding day....seems like the bride gets a much better deal outta this wedding malarky lol

Hang in there sookie! Remember its your fiance & your wedding day, theres always going to be the pressure of family and/or tradition. Discuss together what you're prepared to do & not do.

Good luck! My sister in law & brother did the whole tea ceremony thing (shes chinese, although was born here & more Aussie than I am!) lol

Looked fun:p

I think that is such bullshit the ring has to be this much money just my opinion though......

In saying that, I proposed to Jen with a $200 dolllar ring, I was still a poor student and travelling from NZ to australia every Uni holidays.. Once I had a job we brought a 'new' one,

but the though of spending 25k on a ring mystifies me, why spend that much on a freaking ring? that's a deposit for a house? a new car?