• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Topic of the Week- best supplements while on a budget?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
With times getting tougher , getting a few extra bucks harder to come by , the bills piling up. Buying supplements can run out expensive ( but check out the cheap prices that our sponsors offer)

What supplements are good while on a small budget?

How effective are these cheaper supplements compared to the more expensive supplements on the market?
What brand offers bang for your bucks , what brand offers good good quality supplements at a good price?

None - spend it on food. If you have to a good protein powder to save you money on the cost of steak.

Protein powder at a minimum (WPC or WPI), as you would have to eat a lot of steak and eggs to get your daily protein requirements.

If you want to get into other stuff next step would be creatine (also relatively cheap especially if bought in bulk)

After that if cash is still available my personal choice would be BCAA's to add to your water bottle during the workout and may be a pre workout such as BN pre work out NT.

I personally use all the above now.

I would consider protein and creatine as essential must haves (my personal opinion)

And the BCAA's and pre workout as luxuries if you can afford it.

Personally I think anything else is not really needed (again personal opinion based on my current training)

If we're talking real tight, I could go without and spend it on food. But, to be honest, whey protein supp works out more economical when topping up total protein intake for the day, so i'd say definitely whey protein even on the tightest of budgets. When it comes to whey, some brands have an edge taste wise but as long as the fundamentals are there, doesn't quite matter what you buy. Personal preference really.

Last edited:
I just use WPC, as I am an only male in a house with 3 females (wife/2 kids) I'm always on a budget LOL.

I got asked a similar sort of question by a young lifter the other week. I'm for creatine, if you eat well and your protein consumption is spot on I think creatine the next best thing to 'supplement' with as it's harder to consume this through whole foods and has had numerous studies showing it's effectiveness - not too mention that it doesn't hurt the hip pocket too much

To save money if you are on a budget, WPC is all you need (WPI if lactose is a problem). That will at least take the burden off the cost of Meat.

If food is not a problem and you view the protein powder as a form of food (which that is all it is anyways) and need to save money on 'supplements, fish oil and Creatine/ Beta Alanine are the only things worth while.