• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training method for calorie deficit diet ?

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
I've been training for a 2 months now after a brief layoff.
My body weight since the start of the year has been a very steady 83kg at 15% bodyfat, 6ft tall.

Am now on a calorie deficit diet for the past week and weighing 82kg.
My goal is to get to 10% body fat.
Not really training for stength, it's just something to do.
Not doing any cardio.

My current workout has been very simple and have simply been progressing 2.5kg on most lifts every week, but now it's getting hard.
Bench is at 5 @ 105kg for 3 sets, hard now.
Squat is at 5 @ 115kg for 3 sets, more room for improvement here.
Deadlift is at 5 @ 175kg for 1 sets, really hard now.
Overhead press is at 5 @ 60kg for 3 sets, still a little more in this.
Front Squat is at 5 @ 100kg for 3 sets, but more room for improvement here.
Also doing some power cleans and snatch/overhead squat.
And some pull ups/chin ups.

Question is, how should I train on a calorie deficit with muscle retention and fat loss the goal?
All current lifts are PB's, except overhead press.
Since I'm getting to the limit of my strength at the moment , and not eating enough for growth, I don't want to keep pushing my maxes until I get injured.

My thoughts are to lower the weights a little and increase the reps.
Thoughts on this?

Thanks

Some people respond better to low reps while others respond better to high reps. I forgot how to tell which one is supposed to work best for you (I have a feeling that it's fast twitch vs slow twitch though)

You may want to look into German Body Composition training it gets very good results and you can eat at your maintenance level to gain muscle and lose fat.

I think another good thing you can do is look at which muscle groups are lacking behind and improve on them while cutting. For instance your squat is only 15% bigger than your front squat, so this may suggest that your glutes and hamstrings could do with a little extra work. If you address your weak points while cutting you will still gain a bit of mass and your lifts should even go up a bit a few weeks after returning to them

Just make sure you don't have a large calorie deficit, no more than 500kcal will do (Which can be easily achieved by eating the same and adding in hill sprints twice a week)

Thanks,

Yeah, I might keep going heavy for 5 reps on the exercises I still have room for improvement on, and drop the weight for higher reps on the exercises I'm maxing on right now.
Should keep me safe for now.

As long as your eating enough protein and continuing all hypertrophy (scara 8-12 reps & myofib 4-6 reps) resistance training, you will lose minimum muscle even in a calorie deficit. Just don't go for 1 RM's if worried about injury.

Rule of thumb to keep your performance at a good level, don't have anything more than a 20% calorie deficit.

Cardio is certainly only optional if you wish to consume more calories to maintain your desired deficit. Total amount of recovery time will be less if you choose to add cardio on top of your weight training, so that must be taken into consideration :)

Last edited:
Cardio is certainly only optional if you wish to consume more calories to maintain your desired deficit. Total amount of recovery time will be less if you choose to add cardio on top of your weight training, so that must be taken into consideration :)

Only a very slight deficit at the moment.

So adding cardio improves recovery from heavy weight training?

That's what I thought.

Sorry, I read your previous post as:
Total amount of recovery time required will be less if you choose to add cardio on top of your weight training.

Don't expect to be able to go up 2.5kgs on a deficit just keep trying to progress. The chocolate man covered all the rest.

That's what I thought.

Sorry, I read your previous post as:
Total amount of recovery time required will be less if you choose to add cardio on top of your weight training.

Hahaha yeah sorry if that confused you. Sometimes my articulations get the better of me :)