• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training while sick?

boxing23

Hey guys this is a question that most of you will probably shoot me down for asking but is it possible to train while your sick with the flu and bronchitus?

Some of you may already know im not very good at sitting still and i am addicted to exercise and feel like i always need to be doing something.

I Guess what i am asking is if i do train with bronchitus will i be doing my body more harm or is it still posible for me to make gains in this time?

I started off just with your standard flu symptoms and then the doctor today said i had bronchitus apparently if you keep on working out with bronchitus you can end up with pnemuonia which is the last thing i need at the moment.

So do you guys still train when your sick or do you rest?

Do not train while you are sick. Ever. Your body will hate you for it as will the other people in the gym who are exposed to the virus!

You will not make any gains worthy of training while sick. Rest is the key, you are sick for a reason and your body is 'telling' you that.

Why do a crappy session when you are sick, when you can just rest and then when recovered you can go back and do a good session?

I used to be all macho and train, but these days i rest. As Kev said, your body is telling you you are sick, rest and recover.

I feel like shit if I train when I'm sick. Your better off taking the week off and coming back strong the next. and like Max said you don't wanna be spreading it around the gym

Some may think if they train when there sick its because they have alot of heart and very dedicated, others say doing so is just plain ignorant

If you train at a commercial gym, no question don't go and make others sick.

If you have your own home gym I would be more flexible. If you actually feel like you still want to train your probably not that sick anyway and you could give it a go. If your sick enough you wont even be considering training.

Yea im finding it hard all i wanna do is train because i love it and get bored really easily im on antibiotics so im going to take 2 days off. Im just going to keep my protein and good fats up but replace most of my carbs with alot of fresh veggies and fruit. with the exception of breakfast ill keep my carbs there. I have today and tomorrow off of work aswell because things are a bit slow in the bricklaying industry at the moment so hopefully in 2 days i should be ready to get back into it what do you guys think?

If you actually feel like you still want to train your probably not that sick anyway and you could give it a go. If your sick enough you wont even be considering training.

Like i said earlier bazza im addicted to exercise and most people dont understand how depressed it actually makes people like me feel when they dont do atleast a certain amount of exercise each day

Yea im finding it hard all i wanna do is train because i love it and get bored really easily im on antibiotics so im going to take 2 days off. Im just going to keep my protein and good fats up but replace most of my carbs with alot of fresh veggies and fruit. with the exception of breakfast ill keep my carbs there. I have today and tomorrow off of work aswell because things are a bit slow in the bricklaying industry at the moment so hopefully in 2 days i should be ready to get back into it what do you guys think?

You do know fruits are high in carbs? :confused:

Yea and so are some starchy vegetables like corn carrots and you cant forget poatatoes im only eating 1 piece of fruit a day and just green beans and brocolli at dinner and with lunch i throw in some corn and carrot to make sure im getting all my antioxidants and different things like that

Only reason I said it is because you said - "replace most of my carbs with alot of fresh veggies and fruit. with the exception of breakfast ill keep my carbs there." - just wasnt sure if you knew fruit was a carb lol

I think Boxing was meaning the carbohydrate 'dense' foods like rice, pasta and oats which are 70% plus carbohydrates (uncooked, raw). Fruits and Veggies are maximum 25%(apple = 10% carbs, banana = 20% carbs, potato =15% carbs) carbohydrate 'dense'.

yea thats exactly what i meant thanks max for clearing that up sorry guys i should explain myself a bit better next time and yes i understand that most of the carbohydrates in fruits come in the form of fructose which is a type of sugar which is therefore a simple carbohydrate. The reason for eating fruits while sick though is that they contain alot of vitamins and minerals that are good for the immune system. Atleast that is my understanding of it all you all probably know alot more about it then i do though so tell me if im wrong

Jesus - I came into this thread late, half-expecting the majority to be laying into the poor kid calling him a pussy, weak and a girl.

So impressed that instead of macho BS, you gave sound considered advice.

Applause! Gold star to all.. :p I'm having one of those sick breaks myself.. unfortunately.