• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
That's brilliant [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; but was that a Blow Up doll on your Leg Press?

Wow. Haha.

To be honest, i couldnt go a single availiable day after that was built without training.

Not sure how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Been back in training for two days now, yesterday and today.

It's set up enough to train on now, but still a long way to go till I am happy

No photos yet, Mick, but you can see the vinyl flooring here.

Easy installation, just cut into pieces with a carpet knife (I used my laser level to help mark straight lines on it before cutting), then slap on the floor. Nothing else required, and makes the garage look completely different, and feels good underfoot.

Sounds good.

1) How thick is it?
The Bunnings website has it as "300". If this is 300mm, it's pretty thick! If it's any other normal units, it's even thicker.

2) How do you deal with the edges/joins? Do you just leave them as they are, or stick them together somehow?

So, I'm due a new home gym walk around video, but for the time being, here are a few pics of the new setup, with a few new bits and pieces, in the new place.
123efd26eaec0c854ef79cdd6c26d9d9.jpg

ec5b1d07d78aad10ac83b14395f8b07b.jpg

4a49123c2e3ff901ce34522683b08437.jpg

f74c3a45bac7e25456b507addbda8a6b.jpg

Nice set up!!

We have the exact same camera stand with the same silly phone holder, surely they can come up with a different way to hold the phone on the tripod...we also have the same scales...:D

Yeah, I think we must have bought the same phone holder from China via Amazon or Ebay.

My efforts over the last couple of days:

Mini deadlift jacks (easier to store in a small gym compared to a full size jack)
Blaine Sumner style safety stands

Hired a chop saw to cut up all the pieces then next day hired a core flux mig welder to put it al together. Still have to finish off my two Eleiko style plate stands and an incline bench.

Thats just 12mm speckled rubber padding in the safety stands. I want to put in some 20mm stuff later so that it sits higher than the edging I put on. I will also add a small strip of rubber at each end to stop the barbell rolling off the end.

Im trying to figure out how to put some heavy plastic in the channel on the bar jacks to protect my bar. Still fiddling with that. Rogue make one where they put a threaded hole on each side of the channel and put in some countersunk bolts, but will try shrinking on some plastic pipe for starters and see how that goes.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Nice set up!!

We have the exact same camera stand with the same silly phone holder, surely they can come up with a different way to hold the phone on the tripod...we also have the same scales...:D
Thanks mate. Yep, it's a garbage excuse for holding a phone, but oh well!

Yeah, I think we must have bought the same phone holder from China via Amazon or Ebay.

My efforts over the last couple of days:

Mini deadlift jacks (easier to store in a small gym compared to a full size jack)
Blaine Sumner style safety stands

Hired a chop saw to cut up all the pieces then next day hired a core flux mig welder to put it al together. Still have to finish off my two Eleiko style plate stands and an incline bench.

Thats just 12mm speckled rubber padding in the safety stands. I want to put in some 20mm stuff later so that it sits higher than the edging I put on. I will also add a small strip of rubber at each end to stop the barbell rolling off the end.

Im trying to figure out how to put some heavy plastic in the channel on the bar jacks to protect my bar. Still fiddling with that. Rogue make one where they put a threaded hole on each side of the channel and put in some countersunk bolts, but will try shrinking on some plastic pipe for starters and see how that goes.
Some top work. Be interested to see what you come up with for bar protection

I think i should make a video of my "Home Gym" and put it up.

Might try that tonight or tomorrow and use my new camera for it rather than my crappy phone camera.

Spend today installing Ceiling fans and LED Flouro tubes for lighting in my gym, still waiting on more lights to turn up and a few flood lights to light up the back paddock.

Still have to run wiring, and put in about 4 or 5 power points.

Sounds like you will be able to sit in your gym with he door open, beer at your elbow, and pop kangaroos as they hop across your field of view. Ultimate man cave.

I don't remember, but did you ever paint/seal the shed floor?

Sounds like you will be able to sit in your gym with he door open, beer at your elbow, and pop kangaroos as they hop across your field of view. Ultimate man cave.

I don't remember, but did you ever paint/seal the shed floor?

I have never sealed the floor, it's just concrete at the moment, was looking at it again today, I might get around to sealing it one of these days, for now I need to get power hooked up first.

All going well I should have power, lights, fans, music, etc by Monday.

[MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; nice jacks mate. Got specs? I can whip those up in my old mans garage on the we weekend...and would like to...

Might just take a few measurements at the gym tomorrow.

Whipped up this simple plate storage solution in about 90 minutes a few weeks ago. Have also finally got hold of some more 1m x 1m mats to replace the 500mm items. Got em' for free too.

Also mounted my old giant whiteboard to the wall behind the rack, and purchased a pair of Sonos wifi sound units. Still might replace the rack with something better, but i dont need to at all so its way down the list of priorities. Building a cool deck/outdoor area first.
3b0b4f4a2c78def7ad39f11f7882d27d.jpg

Been thinking about the rubber mats as well, how much are they each normally, for 1x1 metre??

Not sure tbh. I had heard 70 bux a pop at one point. Horse Stall mats are the same or similar compound. I have two of those and three "gym mats" which i thini may have come from a local equipment supplier. They were surplus at our new facility. To touch, and pick up etc they seem like the very same stuff...just have a few coloured bits through them being the only discernable difference.

Here you go.

The only tricky part is making sure the upright is canted back a touch, not dead vertical or forward otherwise it won't sit in the loading position. I just laid the two pieces out on the ground and fiddled with the angle then trimmed a wedge off the long arm to suit. I used 50mm tube but you could get away with smaller, especially if dealing with weights under 250kg. Mebbe 25mm x 50mm tube or such.

I didn't have grinder when I started this so had to drill holes in a half circle and get out the hacksaw to fit the tubes at each end. I ended up supergluing pieces of cut up chopping board in the channel to protect my bar. If it falls off, I'll look at another solution.

I pronounce the deadlift jacks ready for operation. Let the awesomeness commence.

Attachments

• Deadlift Jack.jpg
    Deadlift Jack.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 36
Safety Squat Stands
Feet: 75mm x 50mm x 500mm
Uprights: 50mm x 50mm x 500mm
Sleeves: 65mm x 65mm x 435mm (5mm walls)
Brace (underneath plate between sleeves): 50mm x 50mm x 480mm This bit is optional, or you could put it lower down on the sleeves and use smaller tubing. As it is, if something heavy hits the top plate, such as a jettisoned 300kg, the plate will not bend.
Top Plate: 500mm x 650mm x 6mm
Top PLate Lip: 25mm x 3mm x 4.6m
Rubber pads x2: 500mm x 600mm x 12mm
End stops x4: 500 x 50mm x 12mm
Bolts: 7mm x 75mm
Nut and 2 washers x6 to fit bolts.

I performed a test yesterday and it looks like the height of the uprights is about spot on for squatting and rack pulls. If I want to use them for bench press as well (for general safety or for pin presses, without the bar sitting on the pins) then they should be a bit shorter, so next time I have a chop saw for the next project I will cut about 50mm off the uprights to bring the minimum height down a bit. That will bring the sleeves down to almost touching the feet.

I used two layers of rubber padding so that I have 24mm of rubber on top of the plate. One probably would do but the lip I put on the top plate was a touch higher than a single 12mm pad. The rubber pad was free otherwise I would have bought a 20mm pad.

The two strips of rubber bolted each end are there to stop the barbell rolling off when I shrug off the barbell holding dat dere 450kg.

They also make a comfy seat or table.

Just need to drill the holes in the sleeves and uprights to make it adjustable, but no rush for that.

Attachments

• SafetyStandDimensions.jpg
    SafetyStandDimensions.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: