• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Thanks mate, no need for pictures I know exactly what you are talking about, that is exactly what I will be doing, the timber with the yellow strip down the side is actual flooring they use when building double story houses, so it is strong as, as strong as the floor in most new houses, and with extra bracing will work fine.

I have all the tools to do the job, so will be doing this within the next month or two depending on work commitments, will post up photos of the project when I do it to help other in the future.

Your projects sound good, if you were in Sydney I could do the welding work for you, definitely post up photos when you do it.

The thick bars really kill your forearms when dead lifting, I only do small lifts at this stage, and am really fighting to hold on to the thick bar, and I have large hands as well...but I can really feel my forearms, so the bars are doing what they are supposed to do.

My mate knows how to weld (makes 4x4 bull bars etc on the side) and hopefully I can get a fair bit of the pipe as scrap from a metal store so all I have to pay for is the plates.

Only thing with the bracing method is that it will stand a little taller than 2 layers of plywood or whatever. (not that it will matter in 99.9% of situations).

I imagine the fat bar will be like carrying stuff at my old job, but less awkward lol. I've pretty much got tennis elbow now because of it :p

Yeah it definitely isn't as simple as 5 pieces of wood, a dozen screws, some rubber and some glue lol.
End result will be much better though imo. Either way though is better than bare concrete :p and adding carpet underneath both (or between layers of timber in the 'easier' method) will serve to greatly reduce noise either way.

Here's mine. Regular garage gym :p Nothing compared to your fancy one Mick but it serves all my purposes :D

view from front. Boxes on left are for Ukranian deadlifts. Yes, currently have 5 barbells :p
281965_10150327075625923_594850922_9996854_4737535_n.jpg

284518_10150327075530923_594850922_9996853_1126073_n.jpg

accessories. Mainly kickboxing stuff. chalk, gloves, resistance bands etc. etc
253318_10150327075795923_594850922_9996856_8263388_n.jpg

weight tree, many db's, 16kg, 8kg-32kg & 64kg Kettlebells
253220_10150327075725923_594850922_9996855_1898621_n.jpg

Wow, there are some serious kettle bells there:)

I would have preferred a garage gym myself, but my garage is taken up with cars, and I do not have the heart to leave the car exposed to the elements, they cost too much money to buy.

Yeah, it's amazing what a new coat of paint will do:)

Thanks for the positive comments....

the flooring boards you are talking about is called Yellow tongue, its resin coated to stop water seeping into it (through the top, the sides and cut edges arent water resistant) and pieces that are big enough for a lifting platform (2.5mx1.2m from memory) are $20 per sheet. I think the longer ones are about $27 per sheet. and they fit together perfectly with the tongue and groove system. they come to within 0.5mm flush, and the gap is easily filled by running a candle or surfboard wax along the seam.

Particleboard Flooring - Flooring - Building Products, MDF, Plywood & Benchtop Surface Materials - Gunnersens Australia

Also you can buy edging for it, at like $2 per meter, that fits into the groove, its that vynyl tongue edging that goes around shool desks. I am building a platform as soon as my flatmate finishes building his motorbike and gives me back the half of my garage littered with parts and tools.

Yeah that's the shit, though I think the thicker stuff might be a bit more than $20. Could very well be mistaken though

Yeah, it's amazing what a new coat of paint will do:)

Thanks for the positive comments....

Yeah, I like how the coating brings all equipments together... And it ain't bad to have a TV so near the cardio machines.. I find myself pushing a bit longer when I have something to watch.. Like I forget about what I'm doing and just go with the flow .. :)

Picked up a few more additions to my home gym in the last few weeks, they just need cleaning, paint stripping, painting and recovering before they get moved inside.

For now they are sitting out the back, but still getting used.:)

Samson dip/ab station, lat pulldown/rower, ab crunch bench as well as hyperextension bench, all picked up for a good price and a fraction of new value, best of all Aussie made:)

100_7161.jpg

100_7165.jpg

Also bought these 300kg of plates for $350, thanks to a tip off from a forum member here, They just need some love:

42813g9_19.jpg

Good move getting the dip thingy Mick......gotta love dips!

Do you have a pullup bar? I may have missed it. If not, that seems the only key piece of equipment you're missing out on.

Good move getting the dip thingy Mick......gotta love dips!

Do you have a pullup bar? I may have missed it. If not, that seems the only key piece of equipment you're missing out on.

Been chasing the dip station for a while, yes have chin up bar on my power rack, have not done chin ups since I strained (possibly partial tear) my pec a little while ago, but I think my current training routine will have it up and running again in another 4-6 weeks so I can start using the chins and dips again.:)

Here's a decent article i saw a while back about giving those old weights some TLC

RossTraining.com Blog

Thanks for that link!

haha mick i picked up the same mats from bunnings to lay my bench and squat stands on, Will get some pics up tomorrow, quite proud of my set up.

My garage

293439_289035037791402_100000547242479_1059869_1549334607_n.jpg

292027_289034774458095_100000547242479_1059865_1330914059_n.jpg

Listing
- Ivanko power bar
- Iron Edge 20kg bar
- Pendlay bush bearing weightlifting bar
- ABC diamond trap bar
- bent ABC U-bar
- Iron Edge 8kg aluminium bar
- el cheapo triceps bar
- el cheapo olympic barbell that is only about 6'5" lol
- full set of Iron Edge 41" power bands
- full set of Iron Edge microbands
- 2x4kg KB, 3x6kg KB, 8kg KB, 10kg KB
- 2x adjustable 32kg KBs
- adjustable DBs I have set up in 10,12.5,15,17.5 and 20kg pairs
- 8kg DBs, 5.5kg DBs (12lbs) then a few sub 2kg pairs
- a GHR
- the power rack obviously
- Gymdirect flat bench
- ab wheel (double)
- 2 x single ab wheel
- 2 foam rollers
- massage stick
- slingshot
- 4x20kg ABC rubber coated plate
- 2x15kg ABC rubber coated plate
- 2x10kg ABC rubber coated plate
- 4x5kg plates
- 4x2.5kg plates
- 2x2kg plates
- 4x1.25kg plates
- 2x1kg plates
- 2x0.5kg plates
- full set of IE premium bumpers
- that shitty platform which has coat hanger hooks to hook bands on
- 1 to 6 board (well just 5 atm the 6 is half finished)
- enough 500x500 rubber mats that i can pile them on top of each other and do box squats, deficit deads, partial deads etc