• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Got my stuff from gymdirect all set up, very solid. I'm broke now but at least I'll be huge and broke lol
Does anyone know what the following bits do? I think they came in the box with the bench but I'm really not sure:

Didn't get them with mine. Is it a trick of the eye/photo or does the larger bar angle downward to the plate?
If so perhaps they're just a quick replacement for the jhook, just drag the bar out rather than pushing up and out to unrack

Thanks.. yea the larger bar does seem to be at a slight angle, I just had a look and it would risk sliding out if I'd try to use it like a jhook replacement, it doesn't really seem to fit anywhere.
Maybe I should just send an email to gymdirect.

Hi, it's Adrian here from Gym Direct.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that those 2 parts are not for either the rack or bench.
Did you say it came from the bench box?
Some factory worker from the manufacturer must have put them in by mistake, they are probably wondering what happened to those bits....
It looks most likely that they are lift offs for a bench press.
I'd discard them unless you can make some use out of them.

Garage ceilings are lower than internal house ceilings.

Raising it it gets to 2494mm which isnt enough (and costs about 1k), so I want to sink the floor as well which will take it to 2838mm but god knows how much that'll cost :(

Beats training at a gym though. I agree wholeheartedly with what BigMick said about training at gyms a few posts back #221. I can't stand it at all.

Just following up on this - my plans got submitted. Most viable amount of increase on the garage was up to 2752mm from finished floor level. That's 9'2" for you old people.

That increase cost $3200. Going any higher would cost exponentially more due to the additional structural support stuff required.

That should be high enough for me to do standing press, american kb swings, clean and jerks, pullups. I'll probably have to do boxjumps outside but thats ok.

I may have asked this before but never tracked the answer......
I am looking to increase my home gym Olympics places, from 100kgs to about 150kgs.
Would I be better to buy 2 x 25kg plates, or 2 x 15kg plates plus additional small plates?
I was thinking the 2 x 15kgs.....

I may have asked this before but never tracked the answer......
I am looking to increase my home gym Olympics places, from 100kgs to about 150kgs.
Would I be better to buy 2 x 25kg plates, or 2 x 15kg plates plus additional small plates?
I was thinking the 2 x 15kgs.....

I personally would go 2x25kg plates, but I have lots of smaller ones already and love 25s (most love 20s). If I were you I would buy 2x20 and 2x5. Reason I wouldn't get 2x15 is because I have 2 of them and hardly use them. You would get better use out of 5s and 20s IMO.

But it all depends on what you got already, list your weights and we can recommend better for you Deep ;).

Thanks Rambo:)

4 x 1.25kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 10kg
2 x 20kg
Plus 20kg Oly bar and micro fractional.

My DL Max is 110kgs and my squat Max is 90kgs.

Thanks Rambo:)

4 x 1.25kg
2 x 2.5kg
2 x 5kg
2 x 10kg
2 x 20kg
Plus 20kg Oly bar and micro fractional.

My DL Max is 110kgs and my squat Max is 90kgs.

Hmmmmm, with that break down I can see why you want to add 15s. With two 15s you can hit your 1rm squat with 2x20s and 2x15s.

Since considering your weight break down, I would go 2x15s and another 2x20..........This is a 70kg jump, but would enable you to have a better selection than only adding 50kg.
Your deadlift will be better handled with another 2x20, and with the 15s you got a bit more selection to choose from plus the squats will be easy to load up.
You got lots of fractional plates up to 5kg, so don't get smaller ones at all IMO.
You need to jump the pile up 70kg Deepy, than you got all you need for a while, after that its only 20s or 25s that you will need.

Strong lifts Deep
I think Rambo has summed it up pretty well. It's good to have nice selection of smaller plates and fair few 20's to make whatever you choose on the day.

Hmmmmm, with that break down I can see why you want to add 15s. With two 15s you can hit your 1rm squat with 2x20s and 2x15s.

Since considering your weight break down, I would go 2x15s and another 2x20..........This is a 70kg jump, but would enable you to have a better selection than only adding 50kg.
Your deadlift will be better handled with another 2x20, and with the 15s you got a bit more selection to choose from plus the squats will be easy to load up.
You got lots of fractional plates up to 5kg, so don't get smaller ones at all IMO.
You need to jump the pile up 70kg Deepy, than you got all you need for a while, after that its only 20s or 25s that you will need.

this, get another pair of 20's and 15's.

at MTS we got a heap of eleiko 25's that just sit there most of the time because of the size of the jumps required to use them, would of been much better off to get 20's, as we hammer the rubber coated 20s non stop. we also got no 15's and its a pain in the ass as you would know lol

My new setup

Bought from littleblokefitness and flooring through bunnings.
Was about 1500 all up.

Force USA cage feels quality build and so is the bench, im very impressed with it.

Been re-arranging it a bit to get more use of the space, but its ok for 1 person working out at the same time, or 2 when one is lifting.

Bought the carpet and a layer of rubber from bunnings for about 200.
Got these big rubber pads to go where I do a lot of standing work and where i put the 2nd bar down a lot.

The Force Band pegs from the cage made good standard weight storage for my dumbell wieghts.

2753d1334563322-show-us-your-home-gym-img_3961.jpg

2755d1334563322-show-us-your-home-gym-img_3965.jpg

2754d1334563322-show-us-your-home-gym-img_3963.jpg

My numbers are now
Dead - 110kg
Bench - 80kg
Squat - 110kg
Military - 55kg

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 306