• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Australian Powerlifting Championships + 2011 International Pacific Invitational

We've been there before, it's not PA, it's ASADA.

I've been looking at the 2010 National results and I can see many lifters there would be making big gains this time around, from what I've seen in their training.

Btw Dan, Nghiep Luu is back competing, but he's doing raw in this equipped comp. His DLs in training are only a tiny bit lower than his previous best when he did the 277.5kg pull.

We've been there before, it's not PA, it's ASADA.

I've been looking at the 2010 National results and I can see many lifters there would be making big gains this time around, from what I've seen in their training.

Btw Dan, Nghiep Luu is back competing, but he's doing raw in this equipped comp. His DLs in training are only a tiny bit lower than his previous best when he did the 277.5kg pull.
I dont believe its asada, Im doing awpc at the capo nats I will be drug tested. what about pa lifters doing strong man? do they drug test there? Good to see he is back

You won't be drug tested by ASADA for AWPC, it'll be some contractor.

Don't know about strongman, you'll have to ask Paul McManus as he's competed in that before. I believe it's considered a different sport, so the drug testing issue doesn't apply.

Awesome, see you there Gawain!

The rule is no competing in other powerlifting orgs.
So strongman, olympic, allround weightlifting etc are all fine. Gym comps are a gray area and seems to depend on where you are and who is running the comp. If any of the organisers are associated with CAPO seems to be a no.
Not much point arguing about if PA or ASADA is to blame as the rule won't be changed anytime soon

The AWPC testing seems to have a lot of loopholes in terms of what is tested for and sanctions or lack of. If you're going to lift with CAPO why not just lift in the normal division unless an Easy/blank record is what you're chasing.

Its a pity about the non-association rule. There's quite a few CAPO fellas I'd love to test my mettle against.

PA 4 LIFE! :p

Last edited:
Can't wait for the comp. I have a feeling I might be more tired by the end of Sunday than I was when I last competed.

the difference Ben is that INBA pay for their own ASADA tests. I think one of the conditions of getting Govt paid ASADA tests is the non compete clause.
Drug testing isn't cheap, and if a dent in freedom of assocation is what's required to get funded tests then I think it's worth it.
ASADA - Fees

If CAPO Agreed to uphold all ASADA sanctions, including life bans there might be some room to negotiate that rule ( just a theory of mine, doubt it's possible though )

got home not long ago from the comp... it was awesome, plenty of records smashed. i was amazed at some of the lifts these guys have, 400 squat, 300 bench, and 395 deadlift (from different people) it was epic. :eek:

395 pull from that massive american unit was epic
412 Squat from the other American guy.
Baxter only JUST missed a 330 Bench!
Pritchard did an awesome job (heard some rumors he was in hosptial not long ago) went 360/280/305 (or as near as makes no difference)
That girl from Tasmania put up bigger numbers than most of the guys

Would be good to see a Baxter/Bostock/Pritchard Pro-bench is March (not that it would ever happen)

Brad Gillingham looks like Mr Incredible (build-wise) up close. That 395 pull was epic!

He also squatted a "token" 3 attempts at 350, 360 and 370 (all easy) just to save energy for the 395 pull.

Tony Harris' 412.5 squat looked easy, as he has such great technique. I was spotting that and we spotters were all shit scared lol

Baxter missed that 330 WR bench just two inches to lockout as the bar drifted maybe a cm towards his face. Such a shame! He locked out 320 prior to that but got redlighted for bum coming off the bench. Must be a massive bum lift, to see a 166kg guy's bum coming off the bench :D

Pritchard was in hospital and was very sick about 6 weeks ago, I think. He still got a 5kg PB.

Many other awesomeness:

Little Jacinta Reed (51kg girl) benched 77.5kg RAW like it's a stick, and set an EQUIPPED national record. Missed 82.5kg due to technique (losing tightness at the bottom).

Leanne Dwarte, at 46kg, deadlifted 165 and only just missed 170 at lockout. National and Oceania record, well over 3xBW. In fact a few women were deadlifting around 3xBW. Most are sumo pullers, incidentally. Someone told me that women tend to prefer sumo.

Nghiep Luu on his return to the platform pulled an easy looking 260kg at 68kg BW.

Tom Evill, a 83kg class junior lifter, squatted around 250, benched 122.5 and DLed 265. A few years ago, he was in a bad car accident and doctors said he wouldn't live, then wouldn't walk, or talk again. No excuse.

Matt Middleton lifted raw everything except knee wraps in the squat, and got 300/175/275, total 750, at 101kg BW.