• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Drinking six to eight cups of water called 'nonsense' in editorial

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
It's no wonder we live in a "can't be fucked" Society when it comes to looking after your diet , we have one group of experts saying we must eat this drink this and that and not touch this group
Then on the other side we have another group of experts saying the opposite

“If you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate.”

The issue of too much water surfaces among athletes, especially marathon runners. Hyponatremia is a real concern when replacing the water lost during sweating—too much water, and the salt imbalance in the body can cause cells to swell with water, which is particularly dangerous for brain cells. Hyponatremia symptoms include confusion, nausea and convulsions, according to MedlinePlus. It can also occur in the elderly and hospitalized patients. Some 3.2 to 6.1 million patients get hyponatremia each year, and the condition is associated with congestive heart failure and cancer.
Drinking water: Hyponatremia is concern for athletes - latimes.com

Wow, do athletes and marathon runners really expect they can do that much sweating, drink that much water and not need to increase their salt? Most people have too much salt in their diet anyway and you'd think when people start getting cramp they would eat something salty instead of doing more exercise and drinking more water

Do they even read?

I've learnt long long time ago that if you are to drink plenty of extra water due to perspiration/hot weather etc., to always mix a pinch of salt therein. I know salt (like carbs) have been made out to be the devil incarnate, but really nothing could be further from the truth.

It's unfortunate that we, (humans in general) tend to like brushing all with the same brush, without ever giving a thought to individuality sometimes. I say that because the irony of it all is that we generalise for/about the masses and we base our generalisation on individuals!

Generalising and stereotyping, where do we start:

1. Oh he's a Muslim, be careful lest he blow himself up and take you with him.

2. Oh they're Aussies; they just hang about the beach all day, drinking beer and are simply lazy. Oh nearly forgot, they also have kangaroos running around all over the place.

3. She comes from the Middle-East, you know, those desert countries.

That last one is a bit funny (aren't they all!), since the country I came from was/is still called the Switzerland of the Middle-East. Not a single meter of desert, but all beaches and mountains of snow.

So is it any wonder that we get conflicting messages from our experts. As Andy I believe has said somewhere else on the forum, it's up to us, the individuals to take responsibility for our ownselves.

Fadi.

I spent 2 yrs doing and training for triathlons, prior to that 2 years as an amateur boxer, and prior to that 10 or so years in footy with gym/swimming/basketball/mixed netball/touch footy and I can honestly say I've only ever had one cramp in my entire life.
I never use salt when cooking or on my food and the only salt I eat is chicken salt on chips from a takeaway shop and that's less than once a month that I have that.
Not saying what anyone has said regarding water and salt intake is wrong, just saying what works for me.

I think when in doubt for most people a little more water is better than a little too little water.
You have to go way overboard before too much water becomes a problem.

But funnily enough, when you tell a gym rat that this or that might be helpful, they tend to go way overboard right away.

Hmm... what if you tell them to squat deep and deadlift?

They just came out with a study that deep squats increase the muscle between your legs :D. oh and you probably want to deadlift to support all that new found weight from deep squats.