• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
How far down should I go?, I am doing them on an assist machine as I can't lift my own body weight yet and my left shoulder was really sore after doing them last time. My training partner said I was going way lower than normal, below parallel, but one of the more muscular guys in the gym said it was fine to go below parallel and it depends on flexibility. I didn't really mean to go lower and it didn't hurt whilst I was doing them. The next day it was sore, it was worse than the normal DOMS I have been getting, it has come good since. So just for clarification, how low should I go when doing them?

I've never really watched vision of myself doing it, so hard to say, but you shouldn't be getting shoulder pain. Lean forward, tuck your chin down and make sure you go fairly low (not a half dip)...when u do it properly u should feel a good burn in your sternum.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSZPO5eac0&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪Dips, Part 1‬‏[/ame]

I aim to get my tricep parallel to the floor or a bit lower, going any lower than that irritates my shoulder.

Why nit post a vid of you doing them so we can check your form.

As morgan said - post a vid mate.. best way for us to critique.

If your doing it AFTER a bench session then lean forward a bit and go to 90 degrees on your elbows to hit the triceps and chest..

If u only want to hit the triceps then lean back and stay upright and also go to 90 degrees. Any lower and u will activate the shoulders.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will give the 90 degree angle a go as that's what my training partner said I was doing before I started going deeper and getting the pain in my front delt. I will try it out on Monday and if I get the pain again I will post a vid for you guys to look at my form. That vid you posted Andymitchell has given me a fair idea of what I have to do, I showed my training partner and she said that yeh I was going down way to low as the vid suggests so shes gonna tell me when I get to 90 degrees and that way I can get a feel for it.
Ceffo, I do them after a bench session so I will give your advice a go as well and lean forward a bit. thx for that.

Last edited:
Dips are prob in my top 3-5 exercises....loooove the shit outa them lol

I can get more reps in the more upright position, but feel the chest more in the position shown in the clip, so I do them like that.

I mix it up - for tris its straight up, for chest its forward - sometimes I may do 5 forward/5 straight up.

Yep dips are good. I do them at the end on Bench day.

Putting a 15kg dumbell between your feet seems to keep you pretty upright, but I still find my sternum tears a bit.

Dips are like an ultra-exagerated decline bench press.

I consider the dip the upper body squat.

Every muscle is working, including the lats and friends.

So with that in mind I would consider using this exercise as a focus rather than an after thought or an adjunct to another exercise...dips one day, bench stuff on another.

The lean forward or backward is moot when you have considerable kg tied around the waist as you reallly don't have an option, just get yourself in the strongest position and dip heavy weight to make use of this great exercise.

If you are interested in developing your triceps, pushdowns on a cable are far safer.

A favorite of mine is to dip to fatigue and then without any rest AT ALL run to and exercise like dumbbell flys or something similar to this movement, this really fatigues the pecs, as the triceps will always fatigue before the larger pectoral muscles.

Try it.

if you get shoulder pain from dips does it mean your technique is wrong?
is there any way i can fix it?
thanks

Is the pain the day after you do dips or during you do dips? Sharp pain?

It could mean your technique is wrong, your shoulder muscles could be weak and are strengthening, or just doms.

its been a while since i have done them but i got some shoulder and clavical pain during the exercise and for the next day or two
no doubt my shoulders are weak but i got the feeling the pain was from something other than doms for some reason. probably more of a sharper pain as you mentioned

i just did some reading then and i think there is a few forms changes i can make like not letting my shoulders slump, not going below parallel until i have the flexibility, not dipping to failure etc
ill give it another shot and see how i go - given i did go to the expense to buy a dip attachment for my power rack

Getting the right width will make the difference, around 70cm is my preferred measurement.
Wider than that irritates my sternum/clavicle after repeated use.

I consider the dip the upper body squat.

Every muscle is working, including the lats and friends.

So with that in mind I would consider using this exercise as a focus rather than an after thought or an adjunct to another exercise...dips one day, bench stuff on another.

The lean forward or backward is moot when you have considerable kg tied around the waist as you reallly don't have an option, just get yourself in the strongest position and dip heavy weight to make use of this great exercise.

If you are interested in developing your triceps, pushdowns on a cable are far safer.

A favorite of mine is to dip to fatigue and then without any rest AT ALL run to and exercise like dumbbell flys or something similar to this movement, this really fatigues the pecs, as the triceps will always fatigue before the larger pectoral muscles.

Try it.

For once we agree on something old man.

Squats are to dips as deadlifts are to chins imo