• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Probably one of the most important exercises for me, over the last 10 years of training (weighted dips that is, followed by weighted chins).

Dips are not for everyone. Sometimes we get carried away wanting to do what has been established as a compound exercise, a most beneficial exercise for both muscles as well as one's endocrine system. Squats come to mind here. I'm not against any of the well established movements, however I find it prudent to warn against quickly indulging one's self in such movements based on others' experiences. Make sure that the exercise is suitable for your own unique body mechanics, and proceed with caution...when an added weight is involved.

I say the above because dips, (no matter how good they potentially are for some), not only do they not work for me, but they seem/feel as if they are ripping my front deltoids from their insertion point, hence I leave them alone.

Last edited:
Dips are not for everyone. Sometimes we get carried away wanting to do what has been established as a compound exercise, a most beneficial exercise for both muscles as well as one's endocrine system. Squats come to mind here. I'm not against any of the well established movements, however I find it prudent to warn against quickly indulging one's self in such movements based on others' experiences. Make sure that the exercise is suitable for your own unique body mechanics, and proceed with caution...when an added weight is involved.

I say the above because dips, (no matter how good they potentially are for some), not only do they not work for me, but they seem/feel as if they are ripping my front deltoids from their insertion point, hence I leave them alone.
I'm with you on this one Fadi. As much i like the idea of using dips in a program, they don't help me at all either. Both shoulders hurt doing them...very bad. I leave then alone.

I have always liked dips, once did 50 good reps at about 85kg bodyweight. best in recent years 35 reps.

They were a regular feature for me...then after my minor shoulder tweak a good while back i havnt been able to do them (not from dips though).

Bet I ever got to on these bastards were, 8 rep's at 86kg with 30 kg slow controlled full rom.

i think the trick is not to over extend the shoulder, like in the video stiffy re posted.

more often than not the dip exposes weaknesses in the shoulder, from over use of benching and wider grip pulldowns and under use of pressing.

Did my Dips with a bit of elbow flare yesterday. Elbow sore as fook this morning.

Been loading up the seated dip machine after my shoulders have started disagreeing with weighted ones. Seems to be a good thing...or leaving them till the end of the workout so the muscles are fatigued and you don't need to add extra weight

Why would you do that?

Good point. I really try to get a good lean forward going and a good Chest/Lat squeeze at the top, almost like a push up. So for some reason I flared my elbows a little like doing a push up.

Not sure if doing the Dips with flared elbows is the sole cause of the elbow soreness I'm having though.

I do love the Dip, I suspect its one of the more natural movements a Primate can do.

Good point. I really try to get a good lean forward going and a good Chest/Lat squeeze at the top, almost like a push up. So for some reason I flared my elbows a little like doing a push up.

Not sure if doing the Dips with flared elbows is the sole cause of the elbow soreness I'm having though.

I do love the Dip, I suspect its one of the more natural movements a Primate can do.

Never been a advocate for the old "lean forward, target the pecs", it's a risky exercise, it's best to just get in the right position to make sure it is bio-mechanically correct for your frame.

the best thing you can do is to pre-fatigue on some flys prior to dipping, the trick there is not let the pecs rest too long between the two, or it's a pretty useless routine.
they still need to be burning (the pecs) from the flys when you're doing the dips.

I tend to lean forward with a lo of chest use, but really feel pecs after bench and overhead press.

I do it merely with bodyweight when already fatigued, although may pop out one set to failure when fresh every now and then.

Never been a advocate for the old "lean forward, target the pecs", it's a risky exercise, it's best to just get in the right position to make sure it is bio-mechanically correct for your frame.

the best thing you can do is to pre-fatigue on some flys prior to dipping, the trick there is not let the pecs rest too long between the two, or it's a pretty useless routine.
they still need to be burning (the pecs) from the flys when you're doing the dips.

Cheers SilverB. I feel I've developed the 'mind muscle' connection to the point where I can actually get a good Chest squeeze at the top of Dips similar to a Flye etc at the top. :eek:

Will take on board your tips though :)

Cheers SilverB. I feel I've developed the 'mind muscle' connection to the point where I can actually get a good Chest squeeze at the top of Dips similar to a Flye etc at the top. :eek:

Will take on board your tips though :)

Good on you digger, talk is cheap, and nothing is compulsory, at the end of the day we just throw back and forth ideas.

Triceps dips between benches, even weighted, I have no problem with..., however not straight out dips off parallel bars; that like I've said previously, rips my front deltoids off the bone (so it feels like).