• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

weight lifting belts / back support?

thechosenone

Ive read they can wreck ur posture or form and there is no need to use them unless u actually have an injury, Then again alot of people have told me there not just for injurys they are to prevent injurys. Should i be using one im upto deadlifting 170 kilos.

LOL, you've just opened a big bag of worms!

I was anti-belt. Pulled 220kg no worries.

I got injured. Couldnt lift for months.

I now rock a Inzer 10mm lever belt.

Now pulled 230 with ~10 weeks training.

Have a look at the majority of big pulls....... Tell me the one thing they have in common APART from being stupidly heavy.

At the end of the day, its YOUR choice. Remember this though...... A belt will NOT prevent an injury, correct technique and not being stupid will.

LOL, you've just opened a big bag of worms!

At the end of the day, its YOUR choice. Remember this though...... A belt will NOT prevent an injury, correct technique and not being stupid will.
This is true^^^^, Ive only ever worn mine on the heavier sets of squats. Deadlifting just feels plain weird and uncomfortable with a belt if you ask me, so I always dead without one.
What injury snagged you and how did you do it to take you out for months Sticky?

Was anti belt in the beginning.. As I believe you should attain certain goals before you move to things like belts wraps ect.

It gives your abs something to push against. Pull 200 without one them start wearing one if you wish.. My mrs can't stand them, I love them

Then whats the belts main purpose then?

You wrote it in your thread title.
Support.
Imagine having another set of ab's to brace with...

This is true^^^^, Ive only ever worn mine on the heavier sets of squats. Deadlifting just feels plain weird and uncomfortable with a belt if you ask me, so I always dead without one.
What injury snagged you and how did you do it to take you out for months Sticky?

In the lead up to nationals last year I had a cock swinging contest,
220kg band deadlifts (full weight by knees) for max reps.
I went last, and only needed 7 to win, but being a hero, I went to 12.
Didnt stay tight on the last rep, bar drifted slightly forward, twang!

Back fully locked up and could barely move, and in fact I spent 3 days in bed/on the couch.

Damaged sacroiliac joint (SI).

Wents to nats anyway, hammed deep heat, lifted, made it twice as bad.

Learning to activate my Transverse Abdominus (TA), keeping tight, and streching has allowed me to lift again, and pull a PB.

You cant fix my injury as far as I know, unless I go to the US and get a bolt through my hip and into the sacrum.

A belt will not help stupidity.

I agree with Christian also....

You should go belt-less until you can at LEAST go 140-100-180.

I'm all for wearing a belt, but you need to learn how to use it properly. Too many people I've seen wear them like something to keep their pants up. If you don't know how to keep tight during a lift and how a belt can help with that, best not to belt up, for you will have that false sense of security and will injure yourself.

Btw a belt slightly changes your leverage, so beware.

yea as said above the belts are simply for added support, making the lifts somewhat easier.

yea as said above the belts are simply for added support, making the lifts somewhat easier.

I can pull no more with a belt.

However I would THINK, I get a few kilo's on the squat. I havent and wont test it though.

I can pull no more with a belt.

However I would THINK, I get a few kilo's on the squat. I havent and wont test it though.
by easier i wasnt saying it automaticly adds more to your lifts, but simply makes the heavier lifts 'easier on the body' and more comfortable because it gives the extra support when needed. :) like wrist wraps, they dont necessarily add to your lifts but simply gives support to make them more comfortable, if that makes sense...

Last edited:
i use the belt only when i start getting to heaver weights and less reps as others say does give good support and maybe a kilo or two i think more of a mental thing to . cheers