• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training/nutrition for older guys

piecone

Hi All,
I notice much of the posts/threads deal with gaining weight or bulking up. I am 102KG, probably need to drop 10KG so gaining weight not an issue. :)
Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of material around for 50+ guys (like me) who probably need to re-think routines to allow for injury mitigation, slower metabolism, longer recovery periods etc.
My current routine 3X a week, split routine Legs/arms and Back/chest/delts. Basic compound exercises - leg press, squats, deadlift etc. Rep range always 8-10 (mostly 10 before up weight), eg deadlifts 100KG for 10 reps.
I'm not looking to get huge, just 'athletic' (if that makes sense?). What's ideal, less exercises, moderate weight but higher reps?

I don't feel you need to be pushing high weights to get the results you want.
This should help you avoid potential injuries.
I think short rest between sets would be good, moderate weights.
Short and frequent workouts may work too, otherwise, longer and less frequent.

Been doing this myself consistently this from the start of this year, (except for an unavoidable 4 week layoff).
Frequent short workouts with moderate weights, with shorts rests between sets.
Not even a hint of an injury like I've had in all my past attempts when I tried to keep increasing weights most workouts.
However, still getting slow lean gains as desired.

At 50 i would be getting a good check by a competant physician, and doing a hormonal check to make sure your not busting your ass for nothing.

I consider my training longevity is due to acknowledging that exercise is a means of improving health.

How one performs the repitition is critical.

Full body workouts with an emphasis on the lower body musculature

Intensity of every work is performed at 100% for you, and I say intensity of work not just intensity.

Sleep is critical for recovery, not to be confused with rest.

Active recovery between workouts is essential

Warmup sets are not required

Stretching before and after exercise as a means to improve ROM around a joint leads to injury

A workout that goes longer than 40 minutes is a waste of time

Machines are not your enemy

I consider my training longevity is due to acknowledging that exercise is a means of improving health.

How one performs the repitition is critical.

Full body workouts with an emphasis on the lower body musculature

Intensity of every work is performed at 100% for you, and I say intensity of work not just intensity.

Sleep is critical for recovery, not to be confused with rest.

Active recovery between workouts is essential

Stretching before and after exercise as a means to improve ROM around a joint leads to injury

A workout that goes longer than 40 minutes is a waste of time

Machines are not your enemy

Dont agree with a few things there.

???

I thought they would be even more required for an older chap...

At 50 i would be getting a good check by a competant physician, and doing a hormonal check to make sure your not busting your ass for nothing.

Would he really be "busting his ass for nothing" if test is a little low or whatever? Sure it would probably be harder to make progress, but surely it wouldn't be useless? And what could he do if test was low?

Not that I know anything about hormones...

???

I thought they would be even more required for an older chap...

Would he really be "busting his ass for nothing" if test is a little low or whatever? Sure it would probably be harder to make progress, but surely it wouldn't be useless? And what could he do if test was low?

Not that I know anything about hormones...

If he has inadequate hormones,

he has less recovery...

If he has less recovery and continues training then he has less cortisol to reduce inflamation and less testosterone/growth hormone to do repairs... While he is sleeping, less repair is being done to the body as it is being overloaded.

Now you can imagine what happens when more damage is being done then repair capabilities can take care of?

Cortisol is exhausted and increased to the max to deal with all the inflamation. Inflamation triggers cytokines such as TNF-a.

TNF-alpha lowers both testosterone and IGF-1 levels (3) (4), and strenuous exercise elevates TNF-al...pha levels (5). TNF-alpha has also been shown to increase insulin resistance,, which we certainly dont want

Cortisol is a catabolic hormone in itself. So now we have elevated cortisol low GH(through aging) ,IGF-1( through hepatic disruption of igf-1) and low Tetsosterone.(due to aging, death of leydig cells)

Activation of TNF signalling​
via the C-Jun Nterminal
kinase (JNK) can inhibit IGF-1 signalling
via the
phosphorylation and conformational change in IRS1
downstream of the IGF-1 receptor. Such silencing of IGF-1
signalling in situations where inflammatory cytokines are

elevated has many implications for skeletal muscle [1]

There is increasing evidence that inflammation
contributes to the necrosis of dystrophic myofibres
When myofibre breakdown and necrosis occurs,
inflammation and associated cytokines are essential for
removal of necrotic tissue and for formation of new skeletal
muscle. Inflammatory cells and a range of cytokines
influence myoblast activation, migration, proliferation,
differentiation and fusion. Strong evidence that
inflammatory cells can contribute to necrosis of healthy
muscle cells[1]

Necrosis is the premature death of cells and living tissue[2]

Of course this is the extreme situation... And it is very possible. So it is possible to say he would be busting his ass for nothing if this was his scenario.

But hey nothing a Blood test and a good Dr cant fix.

Implications of cross-talk between TNF and IGF-1 signalling in skeletal muscle
Miranda D. Grounds,
* Hannah G. Radley,* Bijanka G. Gebski,* Marie A. Bogoyevitchand Thea Shavlakadze*

School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia and

Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute, University of

Melbourne, VIC, Australia.

2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrosis

3.Mauduit C, et.al Endocrinology 1998 Jun;139(6):2863-.

4.Lang CH et.al Growth Horm IGF Res 2001 Aug;11(4):250-60.

5.Pedersen BK et. al. Exerc Immunol Rev 2001;7:18-31.

Thanks all - I was hard core BB in my late 20's to late 30's, got pretty big & strong. When I returned (aged 49.5), I took it slow - full body routine twice a week for 1st month. Then split routine, 3 times a week, no more than 2 exercises per body part, always aiming for near perfect form & 10 reps. As strength & 'muscle memory' returned, weight increased, always same rep range and form discipline, added some cardio at end of workouts (walking). Dropped some weight (3-4KG), lost size around hips/gut but developed rear delt pain, unable to press - physio said was infraspinatus inflammation, after treatment, OK to return to gym. But still didn't feel 100% when pressing - but slowly worked on some pressing. Then fell down stairs and landed on already bad shoulder so went to different physio. She is using 'dry needling' therapy, seems to work but I am under advice to take time off training. Whilst on enforced lay-off, as I've picked up a few niggling injuries; tennis/golf elbow from tricep extensions (I reckon), piriformis syndrome from combining lying ab crunches, deadlifts & squats, I'm re-evaluating training routine.

Subscapularis

Made a small breakthrough today when physio isolated muscle issue in shoulder to subscapularis. OK to resume light training but avoid bench press, overhead pressing (damn it) & even push ups. I can work around most things but does anyone have some alternate chest exercises I could try? I could do close grip bench as long as I keep upper arms from going to or beyond parallel. Same with flyes if keep range of motion tight.

Christian, what about someone in their mid 30's. I'm starting to get nervous!

Dont be nervous mate, my point was to simply show that slugging it out and seeing no results is not always within your control. Especially the older you get, and geting a decent checkup before u go bombarding yourself in the gym is probably the best thing you can do.

I am not telling people to not lift.. I was simply using an example of something that IS possible, not relivent to all people but is still an important factor in the grand scheme of things.

I wouldnt reccomend anyone engage in anything too hardcore without a checkup from a decent doc. Its just common sense.

agree....a good check up is absolutely necessary. I had mine just before I started lifting again, which was about 5 months ago and the Doc gave me the all clear, however he did advise to go easy to begin with.

Made a small breakthrough today when physio isolated muscle issue in shoulder to subscapularis. OK to resume light training but avoid bench press, overhead pressing (damn it) & even push ups. I can work around most things but does anyone have some alternate chest exercises I could try? I could do close grip bench as long as I keep upper arms from going to or beyond parallel. Same with flyes if keep range of motion tight.
Bit the bullet and had x-rays and scans. Is a partial thickness articular surface tear and tendinitis of the supraspinatus tendon. Doesn't require surgery at present, although arthroscopic repairs can be done. What would best treatment (aside from surgery) be? Physio or just time & rest?