• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sheiko and Conventional Deadlifts

HawkeyeMcHawkeye

I dont know how many psuedo russians are on here but thought id but it out there.

Ive trained sheiko well reduced volume sheiko for a couple of years. Always did sumo which i converted too at the beginning of this training style.

Considering swapping to conventional but wondering if the volume will be too much on the back.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I dont know how many psuedo russians are on here but thought id but it out there.

Ive trained sheiko well reduced volume sheiko for a couple of years. Always did sumo which i converted too at the beginning of this training style.

Considering swapping to conventional but wondering if the volume will be too much on the back.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Personally i've found conventional a lot easier and made much larger progressions when compared to sumo. When you mention your back hawkeye are you thinking lower back.. or traps/lats/rhomboids..?

Im doing Sheiko man edition (full volume) and conventional deads are doing fine. make sure you dont go above your 1rm though

I know of alot of ppl that do full sheiko program and do con deads...Matty Middleton did con when I had him on sheiko and he does pretty well lol

Thanks for the feedback. In relation to the back i was thinking more lower back as conventional seems to beat me up there. Id be happy to smash my upper back as im all legs. Thats why i think sumo suits me ok and ive worked hard on technique to whip it up off the floor rather than muscle it up.
This is good but im tempted to do some conventional just for the sake of seeing whats what. Being all legs (squat PR 245, bench 115) i think the conventional will make me work hard.

Ill give it a go for the first coupkle of weeks of the program and reasses.

for nationals I did full volume 29 then 32 with conventional deads. The only change is I use straps for the deadlift from boxes as I find my hands get torn up with double deadlift days. I did all the deadlift to knees with a pause at knee then lockout, and the from boxes with the bar about 2inch below kneecap

^ I did a similar thing when I ran 29 and I found that my back and legs were ok but my hands were thrashed.

EDIT: I should also note that I've only run 29 and now doing 37 with some reduced volume on deads to get my form right, so I am far from knowledgeable about Sheiko.

Last edited:
I've done 37-39-32 and now doing a modified 37

I use straps on my rack pulls as the volume prior on the deads ruin my grip endurance and might open up my hands. I programmed my dead lower than my actual max and it works quite well.

Thanks for the feedback. In relation to the back i was thinking more lower back as conventional seems to beat me up there. Id be happy to smash my upper back as im all legs. Thats why i think sumo suits me ok and ive worked hard on technique to whip it up off the floor rather than muscle it up.
This is good but im tempted to do some conventional just for the sake of seeing whats what. Being all legs (squat PR 245, bench 115) i think the conventional will make me work hard.

Ill give it a go for the first coupkle of weeks of the program and reasses.

Hawkeye if your lower back is getting beat up post conventional deads i'd be more inclined to look at the contractability of your abs and glutes/hamstrings..rather then the exercise itself..
If any of those mentioned aren't working your more and more likely to borrow from your lumbar.. which isn't always a good thing :(

Another thing, if you are competing geared, perhaps stay with sumo as most guys tend to get more from thier suits sumo as opposed to conventional.. I'm not sure of your carryover from gear so i can't really say yay or nay..

Well i completed the session last night. I hadnt really done any conv deadlifting for years but i stuck with the program. Was very hard off the floor but lockout was super strong. Unusual.
Was a bit of a battle but felt good.
Today im sore where the glutes tie into the back and upper traps/delts. Perfect.

Jay thanks for the input. You are right about the abs side, glutes/hams were actually firing better than they ever did when i used to train conv though. Ive come a fair way since then. I had to work hard but felt unlike sumo i didnt whip it off the floor i actually pulled it. As for suits you are right and i do lift equipped but im about getting stronger
overall and moving forward. Im 30 and know most of the lifters i really look up to are more like 40 so getting the most out of suits isnt paramount.

Ill stick with the conventional for 4 weeks and reasses. Then i still have 12 weeks leadup to nationals so ill decide.

Cheers

Well i completed the session last night. I hadnt really done any conv deadlifting for years but i stuck with the program. Was very hard off the floor but lockout was super strong. Unusual.
Was a bit of a battle but felt good.
Today im sore where the glutes tie into the back and upper traps/delts. Perfect.

Jay thanks for the input. You are right about the abs side, glutes/hams were actually firing better than they ever did when i used to train conv though. Ive come a fair way since then. I had to work hard but felt unlike sumo i didnt whip it off the floor i actually pulled it. As for suits you are right and i do lift equipped but im about getting stronger
overall and moving forward. Im 30 and know most of the lifters i really look up to are more like 40 so getting the most out of suits isnt paramount.

Ill stick with the conventional for 4 weeks and reasses. Then i still have 12 weeks leadup to nationals so ill decide.

Cheers

No worries Hawkeye just trying to help an Iron Brother out!
I know of a few clubs that will start sumo earlier on in programs and then move through to sumo.. i'd be interested to see how you go with a sheiko cycle employing sumo after a cycle of conventional..
Are you training sheiko raw too? not the equipped versions..?

No worries Hawkeye just trying to help an Iron Brother out!
I know of a few clubs that will start sumo earlier on in programs and then move through to sumo.. i'd be interested to see how you go with a sheiko cycle employing sumo after a cycle of conventional..
Are you training sheiko raw too? not the equipped versions..?

Cheers brother! That sounds interesting to start conv and move to sumo.
Could work well. The idea of this cycle is 16 weeks 8 or 10 raw then move to the suits a few weeks before skills evaluation and the comp cycle suited ready for the suited competition. I think the raw work is where its at long term but getting in the suits a way out from the comp maximises their effect.