• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

RamboWanaBe

Hi,
This is a leg routine I created to build my upper legs. I have been reading in M&F about the amount of sets and intensity for growth and based on my understanding I devised this routine that I try to do twice a week.

I am limited in that I can only squat what I can clean and jerk as I train at home.

Warm up squats 20x40kg
1. Regular squats 6, 8, 8, 10, 12 (last time I did the last 12 at 60kg and the first 6 at 65kg)
2. Wide leg squats 6, 8, 8, 10, 12 (same as above)
3. close leg squats 6, 8, 8, 10, 12 (same as above)
4. stiff leg deadlift 8, 8, 8, 8 x 62.5 kg
5. good mornings variation (safer) 8, 8, 8, 8 x 62.5kg

I am doing to much sets?, not enough sets?, too much or not enough excercises?, Is there a better routine? Should I use more or less weight or more or less sets?.

Previously I only would really do 3 sets of 8-12.

Yeah that sounds good. What is your nutrition like? How many minutes rest are you getting between sets? Are you using a diary to record your weights and nutriton etc? Very important. Are you giving yourself at least 48 hours to recover?

Hey thanks for the confirmation. At least the workouts right.

Okay, well nutrition. A typical day is:

Morning: 1 protein shake (using water) + teaspoon L-glutamine and teaspoon creatine.

And 3 raisin toast with jam or honey. (I know wholemeal would be better).

At work I drink green tea during the day. (I am worried about it affecting the creatine)

Around 10 am I have a yogurt and an orange.

For lunch I usually have a can of spring water tuna with 2 pieces of wholemeal bread.

Around 4pm I usually have a apple. Occasionally I may have some sushi rolls as well.

Around 6:30 I have dinner which could be as simple as meat, veg and potatos or Pasta
or stir-fry noodles (with meat).

Then on training days I have another protein shake mix with creatine and L-glutamine before training. And then another straight after training.

And then I have one right before bed.

I rest about 1 minute between sets and 2 minutes between exercises. Although I do get tempted to rest only 30-45 seconds between sets because thats what I got used to to tone up for last summer.

Between days at least 1 day and then wait for the soreness to pass (as I am not usually sore the 1st day).

So far its been about 3 days.

I do worry however from past experiences when my body doesn't feel sore. Its like my body has gotten used to the work out, and I am not 100% sure how to increase the intensity. Usually I try adding more weight or resting less days, but I feel that this will not be the way to do it. I am going to try to confuse my body by changing exercise order or adding a set, I hope it works.

As for recording weight, I have not been in a diary, but I do remember my last workout and always try to add at least 2.5kg every 1 to 2 weeks.

You really need to get a rack or some bar stands to help you with your squat workout.

You are wasting precious energy cleaning the bar into the correct position and may get injured. Also, if you fail on a rep, what will you do, drop the bar off your back?

A pair of squat stands at around $150 is a good investment for you and they take up no space at all.

Its not a bout the money. Its about the room in my house. Otherwise I'd have a smith press machine, a leg press machine and a seated calf-raise unit.

I do use a lot of energy to clean the bar, but its the best feeling and I do use clean form. I like the cardio element of it.

I know when I will fail on a rep, it becomes a half squat and I just hoist it over my head and put the bar down. I have never just dropped the bar of my back at home.

I am squating with 65kg at most at the moment but I can clean an jerk 85kg.

Well when your legs (squat strength) catches up and and overtakes your clean and press strength, then you will need assistance.

I could not imagine having to press a heavy bar overhead when I am about to collapse after an intense set of heavy squats.

These take up very minimal space and would definately help your squat workout.

Product View - Gym Direct

Have you looked at kettlebells. They don't take up much space and would add a lot to your home gym set up. If you are into your squats and cleans, kettlebells would be perfect. There not that expensive either and once you try them you will be hooked.:):cool:

Or, you can do squats with dumbbells, they are not easy.
Another good one is trap bar deadlifts, they work your whole body real hard, but you can keep your hips low to especially target the upper legs.

Yeah I don't really like squats with dumbells but they are definitely an option. I will have to give kettlebells a go some time. I am thinking more in spring when I try to lean up a bit.

Its been a few days since my last leg workout and I am a bit worried. Even though I up the weight and was exhausted at the end of the training, I did not feel any soreness the following days.

I am going to try to confuse my muscles a bit with this workout. I hope it works. I let you now in a few days if it worked as planned.

its:

warm up sets: squats 1 x 20 x 40kg.
stiff leg dead lifts 1 x 20 x 40kg.
Romanian dead lifts 1 x 20 x 40kg.

Squats 6, 6, 8, 10, 12
close squats 6, 6, 8, 10, 12
lunges 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
Stiff leg dead lifts 6, 6, 8, 10, 12
Romanian dead lifts 6, 8, 8, 10, 12
Good mornings (but a safer variant) 8, 8, 8

Then donkey raises

Well I attempted that workout and it was just to demanding for me at the moment. I might try splitting it over morning and night.

Just an update:

I have added 1.5 cm circumference to both of my legs since I started the focus area and routine 5 weeks ago :)

Is this workout good to grow size in upper legs
Anything is good if you're able to recover. However if I have to be critical, I'd say that there's way too much overlapping in the choice of exercises performed. To make matters worse, I see what I would consider to be reserved for the leg press machine, done using the squat movement. What is that exactly? The placement of one's feet.

The king for this variation in feet positioning is the leg press plate, as it allows one to vary his feet positioning without undue strain on one's pelvis. Sure, one can opt to use a narrow squat stance when his maximum line of power falls (say) at a wider stance due to his body's mechanics, however what you'll find here as a result is a huge drop in weight/load to compensate for such a forced position. To me, that defeats the purpose of loading the muscle in the most efficient way, whilst placing undue and unnecessary stress on ones connective tissues instead.