• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

buncey

hey guys, quick questions doing split routines?
are they effective with building mass, because everybody i have asked at the gym etc all do split routines and i just wanted to know!
i know you need your squats, deadlifts, bench press etc but do you need the other exercises to , to build effective mass?
so my question is , are you waisting your time doing split routines or not?

Hard work is the best mass builder.

I wasted years doing split routines. Not saying there are not effective but full body workouts give better bang for your buck, esp for beginners to intermediates.

You will work out for yourself what is best for you over time. Trial and error.

An upper/lower split isn't too bad.

Full body x3 per week is definitely the way to go for beginners though (need to follow my own advice some times lol)

I wasted years doing split routines. Not saying there are not effective but full body workouts give better bang for your buck, esp for beginners to intermediates.

All of this is win.

Excellent. :)

split routines?
are they effective with building mass, because everybody i have asked at the gym etc all do split routines
Do these guys have a lot of mass?

I ask because at my gyms, all the guys doing split routines are either scrawny runts, or they are seen training arms a lot while wearing track pants even in 34 degree heat, they have big pecs but you can't see them because their shoulders are hunched forward... seems like in their split, some days get more effort than others.

Most things are effective depending on the goal.conditions and person...

For example a person on juice does not have to worry about lack of compound exercises not increasing their hormone levels. It is done for them. They also dont have to worry about overtrianing a certain area because of well the drugs...

However this doe snot apply to the average joe.

Ful lbody compounds split they all have there place. It just depends where you are on your journey, when it comes time for you to move onto the next thing you already know because you are that advanced you dont need to ask for advice.

Do these guys have a lot of mass?

I ask because at my gyms, all the guys doing split routines are either scrawny runts, or they are seen training arms a lot while wearing track pants even in 34 degree heat, they have big pecs but you can't see them because their shoulders are hunched forward... seems like in their split, some days get more effort than others.

A full body routine isn't going to magically stop someone putting more effort into their bench press and bicep curls thatn their squats or rows, or be lazy with their stretching

That's true, mate. But the effort imbalances will be more obvious. If your curl is more than your leg extension, you can ignore it. If your bench is more than your squat, everyone knows.

depends what your after.... i started on a full 5 day split.... an i know all you guys are full body workout guys but tbh a split works just as well or better.... u can still do all the compounds but u can concerntate on that body part more to devolop muscles if ur in it for the BB side, if ur in for powerlifting then i dont no shit!

depends what your after.... i started on a full 5 day split.... an i know all you guys are full body workout guys but tbh a split works just as well or better.... u can still do all the compounds but u can concerntate on that body part more to devolop muscles if ur in it for the BB side, if ur in for powerlifting then i dont no shit!

For majorit to see great results you need drugs.

Full split smashing everything from everyangle is awesome if your a pin cushion. For tue average Joe it doesn't work so well.

but as im saying right, doing squats,deadlifts , bench press,

do bench press wen u do other chest exercises or whateva u want to do!
squats when you do your legs and another muscle
and deadlifts when you do back or whateva it may do as long as you involve those 3 exercises in the split routine?

Example 1

Week 1
Monday
Chest/shoulders/Triceps

Wednesday
Back/Biceps/legs/abs

Friday
Chest/shoulders/Triceps

Week 2
Monday
Back/Biceps/legs/abs

Wednesday
Chest/shoulders/Triceps

Friday
Back/Biceps/legs/abs

Example 2

Monday- Back/Biceps
Deadlifts 4x5-8
Rows 4x5-8
Chinups or Pullups 4x8
Barbell Curls 4x8-12

Wednesday-Chest/Triceps
Bench Press 4x5-8
Incline Bench Press 3x8-12
Dips 3x8
Skullcrushers or Close Grip BP 4x8-12

Friday- Legs/Shoulders
Squats 4x5-8
SLDL or Leg Curl (do this if lower back recovery is issue) 4x8-12
Calf Raises 4x12
Military Press- 4x5-8

^^^ Simple 3 day split

Seriously i hate body part splits but if you have a plan and stick with it, focusing on getting stronger at the big lifts it will work.

but when you think about it the PTC program is the best

your benching 3x a week
squating 3 x a week
etc !

but when you think about it the PTC program is the best

your benching 3x a week
squating 3 x a week
etc !

but you will eventually get bored (people underestimate this), stall, burn out. Just remember, your first month - 3 months, your progress will be insane. In before flame.

But, i owe my overall growth to this program and pretty much all of my strength.

I recommend at least 3-5 months on this program or another beginner routine like this.

If you wanna be a bodybuilder train like one.

If you wanna be strong then train for it.

Simple as that.