• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I have one of the strongest ordinary gym-goers as a client, he has done SQ145 / OHP65 / DL170, he doesn't do splits, I only know of one guy in either of my gyms stronger than that, he does do splits... and hasn't got stronger or bigger.

But hey, it's all about what you enjoy doing. I enjoy progress, some enjoy just working out.

It's impossible to split train and expect to recover enough to train effectively the next day if you think you can you are a tool.

Every workout should be full body. That doesn't mean you have to "hit" every body part every workout.

If you can work within 80 percent of your max for reps on the big 3, three to four times per week, gain strength and size without burning out, I want what your on.

what fucking load of shit. how are you supposed to fully recover for the next day if do your whole body with all the compounds? you will be fucked.

How about you try doing a split instead of just saying theres only 4 movements to life like deads,squats, bench and mp
Seriously that might be good for strength or what ever but you will not look like bb. I see progress monthly from my 4day split and I know guys 120 kg with like 10-15% bf who do 6 day splits and honestly look massive and have good max lifts.

thats my rant .

what fucking load of shit. how are you supposed to fully recover for the next day if do your whole body with all the compounds? you will be fucked.

How about you try doing a split instead of just saying theres only 4 movements to life like deads,squats, bench and mp
Seriously that might be good for strength or what ever but you will not look like bb. I see progress monthly from my 4day split and I know guys 120 kg with like 10-15% bf who do 6 day splits and honestly look massive and have good max lifts.

thats my rant .

My rant is pretty much the only bodybuilders I ever see with decent physiques are the ones that mainly do squats, deads, ohp and bench.

By the way plenty of lifters train full body 3-6 times a week and manage to recover.

1. we didn't say you had to train every day
  2. but you could if your rest and nutrition were right; if you don't believe me, visit PTC Frankston every day for a week, and note that several people work out every day and manage to recover well.
  3. "full-body" need not be "work out till you're smashed." If you did one bodyweight squat, one pushup and one chinup, you would have worked your entire body, but you would probably be able to do it again one minute later. Between the extremes of smashing and doing bugger all there's a sensible middle ground.

thats my rant .

Also training like a bber will not make you look like one either.

Genetics, drugs > order of arm curls

food for thought

bodybuilder, that trains like one, 1-10 sets , 1-30 reps , always changing everything almost..

[youtube]cyiXu9edsAY[/youtube]

even if he only did it once benching 180 in my book is still fucking impressive.

[youtube]TcDpN8XWH1M[/youtube]
whats with bodybuilders and getting assistance on every lift - if you can't lift a certain weight, why not just lift less - i can't be the first person to think this surelly.

whats with bodybuilders and getting assistance on every lift - if you can't lift a certain weight, why not just lift less - i can't be the first person to think this surelly.

I agree, it doesn't seem to make any sense.

And don't call me Shirley.

A few people who were fond of compound lifts and who all began their careers doing mainly full-body workouts, some of whom may be familiar to readers.

lou-ferrigno-back-training.jpg

Franco_Columbo_pull-up.jpg

450904022_6a81dcb06c.jpg

back-squat.jpg

c5b54-f6332_Ivan_Stoitsov.jpg

Doug_Young_002.jpg

bill-kazmaier-bicep-curls.jpg

But I guess no-one would want to follow in the footsteps of those puny fucks.

All im saying is splits are not the devil and i dont believe u have to be on drugs in order to get the best out of them even though it does work much better.

training hard works regardless, i include all the big lifts in my split.. theres nothing wrong with it

Arnold and Franko pic above were king of split training - training 2 x a day upto 5 hours a session! 5-6 days a week lol

People on here need to separate their thoughts - and not have such 1 track minds - yes you have full body programs - thats great and yes you have split programs thats also great!

I think seeing as though this is such a strength focused forum alot of members dont look outside the box much....strength training has always been focused around big compound/full body workouts - and bodybuilding has always been about split programs.....I will say this again if you want to focus ur training on strength its best to have a program that will suit that - if your looking at doing bodybuilding then focus your training around bodybuilding....how hard is that...

95% of bodybuilders will have split programs
95% of strength athletes will have full body programs or variations of.

People need to expand their minds abit about training....we need a few more GOOD bodybuilders in here I think.

Proper exercise increases strength, and increased strength greatly reduces the likelihood of injury.
That much is self evident and a general consensus exists on that score.
But at that point, agreement ceases, instead of agreement we have widespread controversy.

I don't think there needs to be any.

I believe that full body workouts are based on effacy, working hard enough, the most you would need to garner results would be no more than three workouts a week.
All things being equal I do believe results would not differ too much, (split versus full body)
I don't think the split routine is the holy grail that many try to make it.

It's also interesting to note that steve reeves, a man whom had the most perfect symmetry and proportion used full body workouts for most of his career and that you could also argue that 999,999 people out of a million could take any amount of steroids from zero to liver failure, and train as little or as hard as they want, and never, ever look as good as Reeves. Many could get bigger and stronger than Reeves, by far, but not better.

People need to expand their minds abit about training....we need a few more GOOD bodybuilders in here I think.

Agree, a few body builders, discussing their preparation for contests and their whole training and nutrition would be great. Not cause there is some kind of "secret to success" but it would be good to know.

Arnold and Franko pic above were king of split training - training 2 x a day upto 5 hours a session! 5-6 days a week lol
Shane7 said:
Doug Young also did a lot of fluffy bodybuilding movements that most power lifters don't do
Not when they began their careers. Arnie didn't start as a 14 year old doing 6 different kinds of bicep curls.

From the beginning I was a big believer in the basic movements, because that was Reg Park’s preference. He would stay with the basic exercises–bench presses, chin-ups, squats, rowing, barbell curls, wrist curls, pullovers, leg extensions, calf raises. These were the movements that worked most directly on all body parts. I was following his example to the letter. And as it turned out, I could hardly have chosen more wisely. The basic exercises were creating for me a rugged foundation, a core of muscle I could later build upon for a winning body. Reg Park’s theory was that first you have to build the mass and then chisel it down to get the quality.
-Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder

What you need when you're a scrawny or pudgy beginner who can't do a chinup is different to what you need when you're 100kg and lean doing chinups with 20kg plates hanging off you.

95% of bodybuilders will have split programs
And 95% of "bodybuilders" do not gain strength or size after the first 6-8 weeks.
PowerSports said:
I think seeing as though this is such a strength focused forum alot of members dont look outside the box much
The division between bodybuilding and strength training is largely a false one, brought about because each group likes to wank off about how awesome they are and how much the others suck.

Schwarzenegger won a stone-lifting competition (254kg) before he even attempted Mr Olympia. Franco Columbu pulled 340kg at 86kg. Reg Park squatted 275kg. Yes, not all the strongest are also the biggest and leanest, or vice versa. But the weak tend to be smaller. The person who cannot do a bodyweight bench press or squat does not need to worry about having a separate arms day. Basics first. Yes, yes, I know: everyone reading this is advanced. I mean those other guys.

Whenever people do splits, there's always some part they put more effort into, and some other part they put less effort into. Most gyms have 5-6 benches for every 1 squat rack. Demand.

In most gyms, most members are doing splits so that they have an excuse to avoid doing the hard exercises.

Last edited: