• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press - paused vs touch and go

Pistachio, its not something you need to do in the gym, its simply for competing PL.

Its not a bad idea to do some once in a while though, changes the training stimulus

No difference in muscle stimulation from either technique

If you didnt want to do pause bench, could you just do your normal bench t&g and then do a couple sets of floor press?

Pausing generally makes the lift harder.

I started pausing because I needed to for comps.

But even if you dont compete making the lift harder wont do you any harm in terms of strength and hypertrophy.

Just because you can lift more with T&G does not mean you are any stronger. You can lift more because of that plyo reflex. So train with more weight when doing the T&G and less weight with pause. You will get different benefits from both (per Haz.)

thanks for all the replies guys, it seems to be the general consensus that people only do it because they need to for comp. although it is good to mix it up from time to time.

i'll keep doing touch and go for now (i don't bounce it, i just don't pause it, it is a fluid motion). might throw in some paused reps now and again. my main concern with pausing is my tight chest/shoulders. don't want to pull/strain anything.

cheers