• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training At Melbourne Uni

Aaron

I've popped my head in at Melbourne Uni a few times now, and am very impressed. The equipment is fantastic - Eleiko. The lifters there are extremely supportive. Everyone's big lifts are watched and cheered. The big lifters offer critique, advice, tips, and seem to want to see everyone around them get better. If someone's rep isn't near perfect - they're not happy, and take corrective action.

I'll update videos from time to time. If anyone else trains at MU, feel free to add clips to this thread. Please keep in mind that these guys and girls only ever attempt PB's at comp, and generally train at a max of 70% of their 1RM. Seems to work.

The Room
[YOUTUBE]S6hbjCwNLu8[/YOUTUBE]

Ngiep (3x5 227.5kg in 66kg class)
[YOUTUBE]IqR5fwclNkA[/YOUTUBE]

Ngiep, another set
[YOUTUBE]zRIBLZoY60E[/YOUTUBE]

Dancelot (3x5 147.5kg)
[YOUTUBE]cb9TaeJFnkI[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Jame (3x5 275kg)
[YOUTUBE]otGMD-U2QA4[/YOUTUBE]

Dave Jame again... Squats
[YOUTUBE]2fqNjXMIdd4[/YOUTUBE]

top vids - can I request that you hold your phone the other way (landscape) when your filming next time :p

Mate, don't post my embarrassing weak squat amongst the legends!

The scary thing about Nghiep is that he only just got back to lifting after a few years off. His previous best deadlift was 240 for 3x5.

He also is the most humble nice guy you'll ever meet, and doesn't look like someone who lifts such huge numbers. When I first learned of his name and didn't know who he was although I knew his face, I thought he'd be like some kind of fire breathing dragon ninja warrior. Not some skinny looking guy whom you might be very tempted to tell him to lift some weights to get huge lol

Dave is freakishly strong and always has amazing technique even if he's lifting at his max. He's always around all night to help us out with our lifting. That's even more amazing than his own achievements, I reckon.

Just wondering about the spotting in the last squatting vid?
what is the purpose of the guy directly behind the lifter? have never really seen anyone spot like that?

what is the purpose of the guy directly behind the lifter? have never really seen anyone spot like that?

either he's the puppet master, or he is pushing more air onto DJ's back to make it harder to squat!

We don't ever do sets that we will fail on unless it's because of bad technique
Spotting like that still allows you to spot 10-25kgs worth. The only time we are in risk of failure is the last rep of the last set of he cycle. The coach should be good enough to notice technique problems or strength issues weeks prior.

So slight deviations in form can be corrected

If the lifter dumps the bar the spotter won't tear his biceps off

Spotting the chest is bad practice
You can decapitate Someone like that

If the lifter has to dump the back spot should just guide it to the ground

I thought it was to push down on the squatter's back if his set looks too easy. Learn something new everyday.

Shit yeah! great lifts!

I actually popped into Uni Melb when i went for a holiday to melbourne this year. (lol yes, nerd) and i checked out the gym. asked the chick at the counter if i could train in the special PL room, she was like "no" lol but she gave us a look in. cool stuff!

while Con is a good lifter and a great asset to Melbourne Uni and PA, his best squat is 292.5kg equipped not 320kg raw. He's not lifting at Raw nationals, but I'm sure he'll be helping out as he always does.

while Con is a good lifter and a great asset to Melbourne Uni and PA, his best squat is 292.5kg equipped not 320kg raw. He's not lifting at Raw nationals, but I'm sure he'll be helping out as he always does.

i love con!
he is dimi's new husband

sorry that 320 quote was my mistake

con will do 320 raw though
con equipped or con raw is pretty much the same
he doesn't have the mind for equipment
love his squat and bench technique

STRONG is STRONG
muhahaha

Last edited:
We don't ever do sets that we will fail on unless it's because of bad technique
Spotting like that still allows you to spot 10-25kgs worth. The only time we are in risk of failure is the last rep of the last set of he cycle. The coach should be good enough to notice technique problems or strength issues weeks prior.

So slight deviations in form can be corrected

If the lifter dumps the bar the spotter won't tear his biceps off

Spotting the chest is bad practice
You can decapitate Someone like that

If the lifter has to dump the back spot should just guide it to the ground

Makes sense! good to know