• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat depth

If your in a comp where you can get away with squatting higher then most ppl will if it will add numbers onto your total and gives you a better chance of winning...its the same with bench pause, some feds are real strict others are nearly touch and go.

At the end of the day you squat to the comp you are in..which chuck and wilkerson do...I cant see a problem with that...its still called as a good squat in that comp....whats the point of them squating atg if they dont need to...

wpc worlds 2009

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Dsm4X-BXk&feature=related]YouTube - WPC Worlds 2009 Day 6 (1).MP4[/ame]

Well it's the same as why not underarm bowl or stick your finger up another player's jacksie or hit below the belt or accept the money for hours at work you didn't do if there are no rules against it or you know the people in charge won't enforce the rules. There is some stuff no-one thought to make a rule about, some refs or bosses are slack, that doesn't make it right to exploit that.

That's what "integrity" means - it means that you do what you feel is right even when you could get away with doing wrong, even if it will hurt you in some way, or make you miss out on some bonus. Integrity means that you know that even though you won, you actually lost.

There's more to life than trophies and publicity.

The difference is the judge is right there watching them squat and calling it a good lift.

If it's not a good lift then it's the judges fault for calling it good not the lifter.

Kyle, i didn't know horses that high existed.

most in the thread have never used multiply.

Spot on Bazza. No lifter should cop the wrath, but they do.

Max said Wilkerson is really pissed at the comments. So sad.

Why isnt anybody commenting in a negative way on Malanchev's Facebook.

Only Wilkerson can control the comments, not the judges, not the meet director.

I agree that the judges fucked up, but Wilkerson can eliminate all that. No shit ever said about Coan, Bridges, Kuc, Kaz, Konstantinov, Kirk, Anello, Crain, Coe, Butler etc..

Its clearly the fault of these Feds not enforcing the rule book. I'm sure Wilkerson can perform a legal squat according to the rule book, but not with 1000lbs

I remember posting on ns.com back in 2007 after Nina competed at Nats. I hadnt been to a PL comp since around 1992. I honestly thought they had changed the rule. I was stunned at the height lifters were getting white lights on. I even spoke to the then President Ian Webb, he told me that over the years, as equipment evolved, lifters had lots of trouble hitting legal depth.

But its not only equipped lifters. Raw lifters now do the same, and they have no excuse.

Now dont think it ends with powerlifters. PT's dont allow clients to perform a deep knee bend in gyms. One of my female clients does reps with 60kg ATG, really deep. She was doing a pump class (dont ask) and the instructor chastised her for going so deep. She made her stop around 6" above parallel.............with a 5kg BB.

So obviously much has changed in the 30+ years from when I began squatting, in gyms and on the platforms, raw and equipped.

Maybe Kyle is right, lets leave it to the lifter, bring some integrity back to the sport, because the discussion on PW is not good for the sport.

At Worlds last year, Max had lifters, refs and organizers telling him to change his bench and his squat action. I explained to them that Max took the judge out of the equation, he either makes the lift or he doesnt. They said we were throwing away pounds.

Maybe. But he bought back a Gold Medal WITHOUT arching wide grip benching, low bar wide stance parallel squats and Sumo deadlifts. All these techniques are fine and well within the rules of PL, but if you guys meet the kid, you'll know he's all about integrity.

It may cost him comps in years to come, but it wont cost him respect.

Thats what the old school lifters have still got.

Will the same be said about the current crop?

Not a chance

im finding integrity or self honour is disapearing so fast.... a lot of people where i work or i see it in a few places, people will do whatever it takes to get what they want, jump and climb over people no matter what.. and it really peeves me off.
im all for integrity and those that show it and display it i have greater respect for.
those that do it 'just for the win' yes it may get them places but i dont respect them in any way and others dont either.

No wrath against the lifters. To be honest, for anyone to even be standing up with 1,000lbs on their back we can only describe as fucking strong. Forget about moving that weight anywhere, just standing is a great triumph. Likewise, doing a deep squat with 800lbs would be a great triumph. Doing a shallow one with 1,000lbs - well, it's a fantastic effort, but it's not a squat.

I can see why losers bullshit about their accomplishments, they have nothing, they want something. But why someone who has done amazing things would bullshit others and themselves I can't understand. It's like having a Masters and saying you have a PhD, like making your first million and saying it's two million. Why, what for? Stupid.

It's on the judges, and it's on the lifters, too. So the guy is responsible for his shallow squat, the judges are responsible for passing it. Each person is responsible for their own actions, radical idea I know.

Deep knee-bends are bad for you, Markos, didn't you know? One of my clients has stress fractures in both tibias, he's been running marathons for years. Stress fractures are accepted in running as just part of running. Imagine if barbell squats caused stress fractures, we'd never hear the end of it. Funny how a risk of injury in a sport is fine until it comes to barbells.

There is a lot more interest and people competing in pw compared to 10
Years ago.
More ref's with differing ideals, maybe the sport needs to no rely on electronic devices to measure?
It could also be quite difficult for the squatter to meet a required depth in those conditions.
One of the reasons the press was dropped.

Some have no business being a power lifter.

Eleiko developed a device called a goniometer to measure squat depth. The idea came about not just because of fairness but also because having side judges makes the sport less attractive from a spectator point of view.

EDIT: beaten by the man himself!

Last edited:
The true test, is the test of time.
When it gets down to it, eventually, it won't be "how much can you squat?"
It will be

"Can you squat at all?" ;-)

Eleiko developed a device called a goniometer to measure squat depth. The idea came about not just because of fairness but also because having side judges makes the sport less attractive from a spectator point of view.

EDIT: beaten by the man himself!
you say pot-a-tos, i say po-ta-tos

Exactly my thoughts but it can be costly to the lifter...imagine being passed for high squats at a local or national level then getting to the worlds and bombing for squatting to the same height....I've been told several times by refs that I am giving away kgs because of my depth, personally I'm happy to give away those kgs to the fact that I know I'm going deep enough be white lighted anywhere. I've also heard that if you get three white lights when squatting your squatting to deep...pfffttt!

I think Wendler may have made a similar comment. :)
Go for 2 whites..