• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat depth

It's not so much that, but if Wendler truly believes that unless you have bulging quads you're not a quad dominant squatter/lifter then he is seriously misguided.

It's not so much that, but if Wendler truly believes that unless you have bulging quads you're not a quad dominant squatter/lifter then he is seriously misguided.

Perhaps its more of a context thing. He's obviously exaggerating, but tons of people think they're quad dominant when in fact they're just hamstring weak.

I hope he's exaggerating lol

And a weak hamstring'd squatter is automatically quad dominant because they are relying on their quads to do the work due to a lack of hamstring/hip strength

Obviously if you increase hip/hamstring strength enough they'll stop being quad dominant

Maybe I just thought it was an amusing quote. To be honest I think alot of people blame muscle imbalances etc when they just need to get stronger generally which is why I asked the op about his lifts.

Also fwiw I tend to get tall poppy syndrome :p

I just don't think either Rippletoe or Wendler are "great" coaches
Certainly not at Sweat, Simmons, Tate, Bell level (just looking at Americans)
Not to say they aren't good at what they do, but in a "Internet fanfare vs Accomplishment" context I think both are overrated

I think the point he was making was that most people that think they are quad dominant really have tiny hamstrings. Having hamstrings weaker than your quads is not a good thing and being "quad dominant" puts it in a good light. It shouldn't be in a good light like that, you really just have weak hamstrings

That being said I hate the whole posterior chain thing that's going on these days from the functional training crew so I say BRING ON THE QUADS

Also I don't think Wendler is a coach at all... Rippetoe is a ****** who says a lot of incredibly stupid shit

Just out of curiosity bloke is your problem an imbalance or just general weakness. What is your ratio front to back squat? What sort of weight are you squatting?

To quote wendler unless your quads are hanging over your knees like nut sacks you are not quad dominant.

I am assuming that there is an imbalance/ weakness somewhere because I keep tearing them and not my quads when I run... I am pretty keen to try and strengthen them, hence the post...

Most likely weakness... But the continued recurrence of the injury ( on both legs) makes me wonder whether there is another reason.

I am asking questions because I want to strengthen my strings and avoid recurrence of the injury.

I am assuming that there is an imbalance/ weakness somewhere because I keep tearing them and not my quads when I run... I am pretty keen to try and strengthen them, hence the post...

Most likely weakness... But the continued recurrence of the injury ( on both legs) makes me wonder whether there is another reason.

I am asking questions because I want to strengthen my strings and avoid recurrence of the injury.

Fair enough mate. If thats the case I would do heaps of stiff legs starting light and gradually working the weight up.

aside from the usual SLDLs and other stuff, I'd recommend Nordic Drops for hamstrings.

Seriously hard work and they really strengthen your hamstrings. Much better than hammie curls by a country mile.

It's also a great rehab and injury prevention exercise...doesn't impact your lower back as much as other stuff either.
Check it out:
Hamstring Drops Demo - YouTube

lots of variations between assisted and making them even harder.
It's harder than it looks :)

aside from the usual SLDLs and other stuff, I'd recommend Nordic Drops for hamstrings.

Seriously hard work and they really strengthen your hamstrings. Much better than hammie curls by a country mile.

It's also a great rehab and injury prevention exercise...doesn't impact your lower back as much as other stuff either.
Check it out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXMNpnF2UI&feature=related]Crazy hamstring exercise - YouTube[/ame]

:O

I've done them before, I loop a band around the apparatus and hold an end in each hand so that I can perform reps comfortably

Check it out:

Just a note when adding in the concentric movement if you have any calf issues or are seriously weak at knee flexion for your BW doing these can irritate your calves and/or cause some knee pain. Working on leg curls first is the first step if you have this issue or single leg swiss ball leg curls. Once you have some more strength then give them another shot.

I've done them before, I loop a band around the apparatus and hold an end in each hand so that I can perform reps comfortably

my coach never lets me do that. She just pins my feet to the floor and says "go!"
So that's how I do them on my own (feet pinned down under something) ... because I know she'd find out if I didn't :eek:

Yeah I tried to do them unassisted but could only do negatives and it involved a shitload of cramping

Was told I was squatting down too low and it was bad for the knees.

Longer term, everything will be worn out by the heavy lifting.

Work around it. If it hurts a bit and your mum is still alive, she will have a lollipop and a blankie ready for you.