• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat depth

Yep, ATG = ass to grass... No, I think its good to get atg all the time. In a comp you give away KG's, and ive been told, even by NPR, that if I added 6 inches to my squat height, It would still be way under parallel.

I dont have any butt wink, and I squat very deep. The people I train stop at a height at which butt wink occurs. The more you work on flexibly, the better depth you can get.

Yep, ATG = ass to grass... No, I think its good to get atg all the time. In a comp you give away KG's, and ive been told, even by NPR, that if I added 6 inches to my squat height, It would still be way under parallel.

I dont have any butt wink, and I squat very deep. The people I train stop at a height at which butt wink occurs. The more you work on flexibly, the better depth you can get.

I'm with you on that one. Squat as low as you can on every rep if you want to train for strength.

Having said that if you want to win comps and judges will pass it I can see why guys squat shallow.

Squat depth is always going to be an issue in powerlifting simply because it is subjective. Just like people will debate the which car is the best (not that they need to since porsche made the 911 GT2-RS) and have differing opinions on that people will have different opinions on what is a proper squat. Same with hitching on a deadlift.

And yes Scott you could squat 6" shallower and still be passed without any drama, freaky deep squat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUUJcj7Ct5c]YouTube - Squat. RAW World Record. Andrey Malanichev. 450kg (993lbs).[/ame]

One for the "big fat guys don't look like they're squatting deep because they have tree trunk thighs":

paul-anderson-squat-300x282.jpg

Nick, please show me a rule book that states you can squat above parallel.

They all state you need to break parallel, its not opinions or interpretations, its pretty much cheating so that the WR belongs to your Fed, thats it.

ProRaw will ALWAYS follow the rule book

The only squat I know is the all the way down squat as in Olympic weightlifting. However if other sports do not require a lifter to squat as deep as a weightlifter but rather to go parallel or slightly below, then I respect that. After all, weightlifters squat deep because we clean and snatch deep and we need to get out of that "hole" position.

Here's Eduardo Guadamud, an Olympic weightlifter working out. Please fast forward to 7:10 if you're just interested in watching the back squats.

[YOUTUBE]uNmzj18YwEE[/YOUTUBE]

Fadi.

I'll watch this a 100 times before I watch that Wilkerson video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7m6I5m6gY]YouTube - 800 pound / 363 kg Squat - ATG 100% RAW[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgjvqdrljM]YouTube - Ed Coan Squat Injury 2002[/ame]

How's this for a deep squat? ATG!

Awesome vid Fadi.

[YOUTUBE]KEy7bFtghcw[/YOUTUBE]

Another big guy squatting, looks deep to me.

If the judges don't enforce the rulebook then it doesn't mean shit.

Its up to the Meet Director or Fed to enforce the rules. The judges are muppets in these Feds, the Feds simply want the records, thats it.

Chucks squat STARTED with bent legs, shallow, record, bang.

Any squat performed in the IPF has massive credibility, why is no one posting up shallow squats from the IPF?

All from shitty Feds with no credibility.

All the lifters At ProRaw heard my speech to the judges, they were left with no illusion as to what a squat is, and to there credit, with 75 squats performed, 2 were called for height.

I am very proud of the vids from that comp. The strict judging will always stay at ProRaw.

lol

We had 25 lifters, no one bombed, 2 girls pulled out after getting injured during DL warm ups.

I have had PTC lifters compete at 2 States, 1 Nats, a Worlds, ProRawOne, a novice comp, not one lifter EVER bombed. Deadlift retirees through injury, only 1 was a PTC lifter, Alen at States.

Anyone at States/Nats will remember the MC commenting on squat depth of PTC lifters.

If a lifter starts correctly, it makes it much easier when they get stronger.

when you are using a more natural narrower stance, its harder to cut depth unless you have something like knee wraps or a suit tightening up at the bottom. I dont want to kill my stretch reflex.