• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I pulled my hamstring, how can I still smash my good leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steak55

Banned
I've been following Starting Strength for 6 weeks (well I'm in my 6th week) and I pulled my hamstring. I saw a sports physio today, they reckon stay off it for at least 2 weeks which I'm gonna do to prevent a bigger drama later.

I've been progressing really well on SS so really reluctant to change from that. I can still progress on military press, bench press, pendlay rows (gym doesn't facilitate cleans), and my two accessory exercises: weighted pulls/chins and weighted dips. Just squats and deads I can't perform with the torn hammy.

What can I do in place of squats and deads?

At the moment I'm thinking 3x5 lunges and 10 minutes low intensity bike (for rehabbing the hamstring).

You can't do squats but you want to do lunges?
Just take the 2 weeks off. Might feel like forever now, but in the grand scheme of things it really is just 2 weeks out of however many years you could be lifting for.

Besides, 2 weeks now might avoid 2 months down the track with a occurrence

Sounds like what I'd do if I was a massive pussy. I'm not an amputee, it's a stage one hammy sprain. You lunge one leg at a time. I agree with you though, there is no sense in agitating the injury and making it worse. That's why I'm not squatting or deadlifting though. I love training, it's not a chore to me.

Last edited:
Don't get smart with me Graham.

Doing lunges on my left leg won't agitate the hamstring injury on my right leg. In fact, anything that doesn't agitate the injury but gets blood flowing into it will actually help the hamstring to heal. For example, low intensity work on the bike.

Sorry, I thought you meant you were going to do them with both legs.
My bad.

Personally, I wouldn't advocate doing just one leg due to creating muscle imbalances (although 2 weeks probably shouldn't make too much of a difference). Did you do the hammy squatting or deadlifting? If so I'd say it's your "weaker" leg that went correct?

All good G. Yeah you're right about muscle imbalances, I did think about that but it's my weaker side I'd be exercising (pulled my 'strong leg') and only two weeks. I'm not gonna go crazy either.

It's a stage one, meaning I didn't actually notice it happen but woke up the next day with a numb pain in my right leg so not sure what did it. Gut feeling says it was deads though.

Almost sounds like more of a cramp . . . If it's your strong leg that went it was probably over compensated for the weaker one (don't wanna give you too much "advice" cos obviously I'm not a physio or anything).
If you can exercise your weak leg it might not be too bad of an idea (might be able to catch up so to speak).
I'd be interested to hear what the others have to say about this.

Yeah, it's actually not that painful. The day I noticed (Weds) I was limping a bit, iced it like 5 times and then on Thurs tried some squats with just the bar and then one set at 60% and the icing helped, but the squatting seemed to agitate it a little so I booked the physio. By the time I got to the physio it hardly hurt at all, but I don't want to burger my leg and not be able to train so I'm being careful(ish).

It's a stage one, meaning I didn't actually notice it happen but woke up the next day with a numb pain in my right leg so not sure what did it. Gut feeling says it was deads though.

Seriously if you didn't feel it at the time you didn't pull your hammy.

if I stopped training for 2 weeks every time I had a little sore spot I would never train.

Yeah, I guess your diagnosis over the internet is better than the one I got from a 45 minute session with a professional. Hah!

Yeah, I guess your diagnosis over the internet is better than the one I got from a 45 minute session with a professional. Hah!

Fuck me you didn't even feel it at the time, that's not a pulled hammy. That's called a little soreness after doing weights. Even a very slight pulled hammy you will know it at the time it happens. You even said it was gone by the time you went to the physio.

I don't really give a shit what you do but if you have 2 weeks off everytime you have a tiny little niggle good luck ever getting any consistent training in.

I really can't believe you even asked. Of course you need to rest it for 2 weeks. Do your upper body if you really feel the need.

Fuck me you didn't even feel it at the time, that's not a pulled hammy. That's called a little soreness after doing weights. Even a very slight pulled hammy you will know it at the time it happens. You even said it was gone by the time you went to the physio.

I don't really give a shit what you do but if you have 2 weeks off everytime you have a tiny little niggle good luck ever getting any consistent training in.

This is the truth.

If you're gonna comment, read the thread first at least. I said I am resting the leg with the hammy sprain, and originally I was asking about exercises for the good leg. Of course I am resting the injured leg.

I've decided rehabby stuff like low intensity bike, walking, swimming etc is the best though and not gonna bother working my one good leg. So no one legged leg press, or lunges. Just walks and 15 minute sessions on the bike.

Anyway, should be back on my leg by now but I'm giving it a miss, had a busy week (lots of walking and swimming - more than what would have been a good level for rehab) and it doesn't feel 100%.

Thinking about doing Rips method for a hammy sprain (1x25 light squats) soon.

Aiden, Bazza, you are both dumb.

If your physio says you can bike, it stands to reason you can do bodyweight squats. I'd do a few reps of them on and off through the day, easing into the range of motion - your hamstrings will let you know if they get too stretched out.

If you're gonna comment, read the thread first at least. I said I am resting the leg with the hammy sprain, and originally I was asking about exercises for the good leg. Of course I am resting the injured leg.

I've decided rehabby stuff like low intensity bike, walking, swimming etc is the best though and not gonna bother working my one good leg. So no one legged leg press, or lunges. Just walks and 15 minute sessions on the bike.

Anyway, should be back on my leg by now but I'm giving it a miss, had a busy week (lots of walking and swimming - more than what would have been a good level for rehab) and it doesn't feel 100%.

Thinking about doing Rips method for a hammy sprain (1x25 light squats) soon.

Aiden, Bazza, you are both dumb.

All this for a supposed hammy pull you didn't even feel and I'm the dumb one.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.