• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

switching to the dark side......

180sx kid

With this new injury I have just attained it has made me think very deeply about changing over to bodybuilding.

Over the last 2 years I have been struck with injruy after injury and it is quite demoralising as i can only imagine what I could total if I stayed injury free for 12months.

Now whats going through my mind this time is im 23 and I will have had 2 knee surgery one on each leg and 2 cartlidge damages to my shoulders.
Should I simply call it quits on powerlifntg and start body building where I dont need to go under 6 reps or should I take the recover slowly and give myself 6-9 months this year wheree I still focus on the powerlifts but I dont go under 3-4 reps to not put as much pressure on my joints, tendons etc to give them longer to strgthen ?

What is poeples opinions on joints/tendons once they have been operated on, are they always going to be weak ? will they eventually come back andbe stronger then ever if you ive them time ?

Converting over to bodybuilding for me I feel would be pretty easy as I have no problem dropping down to single figure body fat % and have pretty good genetics for it but the one thing in the back of my mind is to shut up and lift heavy..

Has anyone else ever been in this boat where they think they need to think about there longativity and long term health over a pipe dream of totaling 900kg ?

Did you see the vid about that lifter who broke both wrists and came back stronger? You are young: do what you enjoy doing.
The Doc tells me my new ligament will never be as strong as my old one, but I can strengthen everything around it. And it is tighter and seems to work more smoothly than the one that wasn't operated on.

From my experience with surgery, things never go back to how they were before. Ultimatly, you should do what what you want, if thats training in a more bodybuilding orientated way, than go for it man.

Do both. Keep at the powerlifting but take it slow and easy, and during that time focus on more hypertrophy based training and maybe step on stage for the experience. The hypertrophy training can only be good for your ligaments. I'd recommend running 5/3/1 with bodybuilding assistance work.

Personally I don't think you'll get any weaker, your just doing a higher rep range, just push yourself just as hard. Your joints will probably thank you for it.

You're always going to be brutally strong Michael. And you've got the genetics. And it will be easier on the joints. And as Freako said, no reason to stop with the big 3 altogether, just divert some focus.

Not the best news dudeson but not the end of the world. From experience after having my shoulder done it took a pretty damn long time to get back into the proper swing of things with anything relating to shoulders or chest. Nothing felt comfortable be it with dumbells or barbells, overhead pressing or flat bench pressing. I had to re-learn how to do each exercise basically, but once I did and found what was comfortable for me it all came back together. Working through injuries never really works and hinders performance, but if you're able to work around of find another way of doing it you might just get stronger. I haven't had any shoulder problems since then, the surgery was about 3-4 years ago and can happily bench 140+ and get 100+ overhead.

I do agree with trying out the 5/3/1 with BB assistance style things. I did just that and it helped a lot. Remember you don't have to go for broke on every final set.

Here is something to ponder,

What is lost on most trainee's is that for the most part, all they will ever do is train.

They will never step on a platform and either power-lift or Olympic lift.

And, all those trainee's that say they are bodybuilders, 99.9% of them will never stand on the dais and pose for judges.

So where does that leave us?

Training for the sake of training or training to improve the quality of life?

If a trainee is unable to squat 200kg within a few months of training they have no business competing.

What is lost on most trainee's is that for the most part, all they will ever do is train.

And, all those trainee's that say they are bodybuilders, 99.9% of them will never stand on the dais and pose for judges.

If a trainee is unable to squat 200kg within a few months of training they have no business competing.

Thank you oh wise one.

See micheal, your 180kg+ squats at under 80kg prove you have no business competing.

If I were you, I'd have a break and do some BB. Good luck man.

At 23 and two knee operations, I would be interested to see what this fellow looks like at 43.
But, if that's your version of manliness good luck.

Now your talking about the op? The one who HAS competed on the platform?

I get what your saying, but you crack me up.

Have you taken your meds too early today?

I'm not completely sure, but I think you're on a powerlifting and bodybuilding site.

Should I just give up now then? srs question...

If the only people who ever compete are the guys who could squat 200kg in only a few months then you'll probably be lucky to have 2 people in a competition. Seems like a really dumb statement to me.