• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does juice affect raw eggs?

TheGiftToLift

I am trying to get into raw eggs but the consistency of eggs is absolutely terrible. So I tried mixing them with pineapple juice, and it tastes pretty darn good. It seems to me that the juice breaks down the eggs (acidity?) and makes it less viscous. The sourish taste of pineapple also helps to mask the taste.

So I know that there is a benefit from drinking raw eggs. What I would like to know is if there might be any decrease in said benefit if the acid in the juice denatures the protein (as would cooking?). I know that juices such as lemon juice are often used to 'cook' fish without the use of heat.

also there is benfit from having pineapple juice i think its the bromelin or something but it shouldn't be cause for to much concern.

Medicinal Properties of the Pineapple Fruit

Pineapple contains micro-nutrients that experts believe protects against cancer and this micro-nutrients also break up blood clots and is beneficial to the heart. The ripe pineapple has diuretic properties. Pineapple juices also kills intestinal worms. It also relieves intestinal disorders and soothes the bile. Pineapple juice contains chemicals that stimulates the kidneys and aids in removing toxic elements in the body.

Pineapple contains a mixture of enzymes called bromelain. Bromelain blocks the production of kinins that form when there is inflammation. Test have shown that this blocking property of Bromelain in pineapple helps reduce swelling brought about by arthritis, gout, sore throat and acute sinusitis. This also helps accelerate the healing of wounds due to injury or surgery. To help reduce inflammation, eat pineapple in between meals. If eaten during or after meals, the enzymes will be utilized for digesting food.

Pineapple Fruit - Pineapple Nutrition Facts

I use raw whole eggs in milkshakes (and protein shakes) and you hardly notice them.
I am not sure of the real vs the imagined benefits of eggs raw are but I do know this:
Raw eggs can carry bacteria that can make you sick. You should never eat them if you are pregnant. Having said that, I have never had a problem with them.

I never used to listen to people who said not to consume eggs raw, as I never had a problem with it before.
Last year, I got really sick and it smashed me for a whole week, I'm sure it was from raw eggs I was drinking at the time in my shakes.
So now, I'll never have them raw again, not worth the risk.

I never used to listen to people who said not to consume eggs raw, as I never had a problem with it before.
Last year, I got really sick and it smashed me for a whole week, I'm sure it was from raw eggs I was drinking at the time in my shakes.
So now, I'll never have them raw again, not worth the risk.

Plus cooked eggs taste so good.

lol I throw raw eggs in shakes all the time, no problems whatsoever.

I'm not sure how much bromelain the pineapple juice would have as most juices undergo heat processing to kill off bacteria before sealing, in doing so denaturing the enzyme. And no bromelain would fine with eggs as it would help break the protein down.

I am trying to get into raw eggs but the consistency of eggs is absolutely terrible. So I tried mixing them with pineapple juice, and it tastes pretty darn good. It seems to me that the juice breaks down the eggs (acidity?) and makes it less viscous. The sourish taste of pineapple also helps to mask the taste.

So I know that there is a benefit from drinking raw eggs. What I would like to know is if there might be any decrease in said benefit if the acid in the juice denatures the protein (as would cooking?). I know that juices such as lemon juice are often used to 'cook' fish without the use of heat.

Please start reading from reply #11 onwards: http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/9425-eggs-when-how-eat-them-2.html

I must say something I haven't said before on this or any other forum for that matter. Yes, I have eaten about 30 eggs a day when I was heavy into my 8 workouts/week weightlifting program...but

...but when it came to eating raw eggs, by then (1984) I had switched to bodybuilding, and I was having my raw eggs with juices. My favourite was (and still is) pineapple and coconut (purchased from your local supermarket).

So why am I writing/getting involved in a discussion on raw eggs again? Because there is a side to me that not many (if any) people on this forum share; my background...the country I came from and the relevance it has on this "raw egg" discussion we're having here.

I've read some replies above that made mention and associated the word bacteria with raw eggs. Well may be (just may be) the country I came from (Lebanon) was not as strict when it came to having hygienic food standards as Australia has. In addition to that, given my age this year (46), I'd say that when I played with other kids in the village, we really played (with dirt etc.), eating fruits off available trees/pine nuts off the ground that have fallen down and so on and so forth.

The point I'm trying to make here is that my immune system was toughened up by having to face off any germ or bacteria I was eating at the time. Even today, at times I eat fruits and vegetables that are not washed (on purpose). I'm not advising anyone here do the same but I am highlighting the point that we (all of us) have different level of strength when it comes to immunity based on many factors, three of which are the way we were brought up, the location, and the food we ate/eat on a regular basis.

So there's more to a blanket pro and con when it comes to eating raw eggs. I eat raw liver/meat without any problem, though some may get ill from such an act. So know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses, and then base your decision on that rather than someone else's.

I had to come back and edit (by adding something)...like answering the question!

Yes, juice does affect both raw and cooked eggs; it makes one assimilate their amino acids better due to the rise in insulin. As for the protein digesting enzyme bromelain, you would have to have raw pineapple to get its benefit. In any case, once raw eggs are blended, their surface increases dramatically which facilitate your own digestive juices in breaking the (now) readily available nutrients down.

Fadi.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I'd sometimes eat this weird snack that my parents introduced to me. It was several egg yolks (whites removed) into a cup, numerous teaspoons of sugar, mix well and eat with spoon. I loved the taste. Don't know about nutritional value with the sugar, and I don't have it anymore, but it was awesome and I never got sick from the raw eggs.

BTW, where have you been Fadi?

I feel like an orphan whose Dad (Fadi) and Mum (Dave) have abandoned them. :(

We've been down 2 mods for the longest time. Shrek, PTC and Admin will be negotiating pay increases at their next performance review meeting, for all the extra load they've been carrying.

Also, my above comment is not meant to suggest you and Dave have had relations. :D

I've just been a bit busy with the family, (daughter going to Sydney Uni next month) and haven't had much to contribute since my mind was somewhere else DKD.

How long has Dave been gone?

Fadi.

Not that I'm aware of Fadi. You never know with these things, hopefully everything's ok with him.

BTW, congrats on your daughter going to a top-notch uni. She's got her old man's brainpower eh?

BTW, congrats on your daughter going to a top-notch uni. She's got her old man's brainpower eh?
Thank you Sir, I really appreciate it and so would Nabila.

As for brainpower; unfortunately the timing of my arrival to Australia was not the best (at age 12) not knowing a single word of the English language. By the time I had command of the language I was busy going overseas representing the AIS (and Australia) in weightlifting. With better guidance from my parents I know for sure I would have been an airline pilot by now. But it was not to be and Nabila is certainly making us (mum and dad) very proud. This is the country of opportunities and it's the best continent on earth bar none.

Thank you Australia for all you've done for me and for my family. Again, I sincerely thank you for your comment brother DKD; your gracious words mean a lot to me Sir.

Fadi.

Last edited:
That's awesome Fadi, what will she be studying?
To begin with, she'll be studying advanced science, but ultimately her goal is to become a surgeon, preferably a heart surgeon. She scored 96.9 out of 99.95 in her HSC ATAR; she was a bit disappointed but we got that taken care of quick smart. She’s only 17 (soon to be 18) so we’ll see how she progresses with one of her life’s (many) journeys. I’ll be here to guide and encourage her that is for certain. I thank you for asking.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/DSACH_2010_12_C11.html

Fadi Chemaissem.

that's definitely amazing fadi, congrats to her and you. Without your support she wouldn't have been able to get there!