• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can't move up in my squat weight!!!

Mickdog - how much do you weigh and how tall are you and how old are you?

if you are failing to squat 80kg, then it would mean that you don't carry all that much muscle.
if you don't have much muscle, how exactly do you expect to look ripped?
If you lose weight now to reduce body fat, you will also lose what little muscle you have.
so when you get down to single digit fat %, (which on a muscular strong person would look great), you will simply look like a skinny school kid.

31 years old
175cm or 5'8
87kg

I cant back this up with a link but there has been studies that any more rest the 4 minutes is useless. I'll say it again I can't back that up but I don't see how resting for 7 minutes is going to help you that much. High intensity maximum effort.

The funny thing is I have heard that too. But Rip recomends that much time.

It makes me wonder does everyone follow his program that closely because I keep being told to do exactly that.

The funny thing is I have heard that too. But Rip recomends that much time.

It makes me wonder does everyone follow his program that closely because I keep being told to do exactly that.

Rip doesn't recommend 7 min. He recommends rest as long as you need to complete the next set. Within reason obviously.

31 years old
175cm or 5'8
87kg

I'm 3 years older than you but same size-ish.
at our age, you should be smart enough to understand that getting ripped and strong at the same time is not going to happen.

You are failing before being able to squat your own body weight so you don't have any muscle to be ripped.

I'm not saying go fatfuck yourself like the SS guys eating 6 burgers for breakfast etc..
just that you need to grow and get stronger so that you have some muscle to show when you drop the fat.

increase your intake by 500 cals and keep at the squats and other lifts.
drop to 75kg and go again and increase by the smallest amount you can each time.

I'm 3 years older than you but same size-ish.
at our age, you should be smart enough to understand that getting ripped and strong at the same time is not going to happen.

You are failing before being able to squat your own body weight so you don't have any muscle to be ripped.

I'm not saying go fatfuck yourself like the SS guys eating 6 burgers for breakfast etc..
just that you need to grow and get stronger so that you have some muscle to show when you drop the fat.

increase your intake by 500 cals and keep at the squats and other lifts.
drop to 75kg and go again and increase by the smallest amount you can each time.

I decided to try some leg press and leg curls to see how my strength is. Quads are great hammys are fucked. I can barely lift 3 plates on my leg curls. I think that may be the problem. My hammys are not being used when I squat and all the push comes from my quads. Adding leg curls could be the way to go.

I will increase my food intake and drop back in the squat weight. I am going to start PTC program as I found the 5 reps simply wasn't enough and if anything I have become weaker from it.

I decided to try some leg press and leg curls to see how my strength is. Quads are great hammys are fucked. I can barely lift 3 plates on my leg curls. I think that may be the problem. My hammys are not being used when I squat and all the push comes from my quads. Adding leg curls could be the way to go.

I will increase my food intake and drop back in the squat weight. I am going to start PTC program as I found the 5 reps simply wasn't enough and if anything I have become weaker from it.

Yet you still haven't posted a video.

My new workout

Really wanted to increase my strength in my legs and I find i'm lacking so I thought I might up the volume.

Superset
Squat 3 x 10
Leg Press 3 x 10
Leg Curls 3 x 10

Bench 3 x 8
BB Row 3 x 8
Behind Neck Press 3 x 8
Deadlift 1 x 5
Chins 2 x 8
Dips 2 x 8

I only do the one set of deads because of the extra leg work I already have and i'm finding they continue to increase no matter what I do.

I'm about to snap. I have been at the same weight for a while now and even though my form is great I can't seem to get my 3 sets of 5 out. Does this happen to everyone? Real bad day at the gym today

Have you consulted the power lifting section of this site?

my form is great

No, your form is shit, Im calling that right here right now,. I know power lifters squatting well over 200 who don't claim to have a solid squat setup so why would your 3X5 be anything special? Just the facts here....

Like I said, get in to the power lifter section, find some people who can actauly squat, get some video up & start working the problem out.

if you have weak hammies, then your form doing squats as RIP suggests is obviously very wrong.

and now you are adding leg press and leg curl.. good luck mate.
I'd like to suggest you buy some padding for the section of the wall that you will be smacking your head against over and over...

Have you consulted the power lifting section of this site?

No, your form is shit, Im calling that right here right now,. I know power lifters squatting well over 200 who don't claim to have a solid squat setup so why would your 3X5 be anything special? Just the facts here....

Like I said, get in to the power lifter section, find some people who can actauly squat, get some video up & start working the problem out.

LOL. Fair call, my squat form may not be perfect or even that great, but if a power lifter can squat over 200 without great form why shouldn't I eventually be able to do the same, your logic is flawed to say the least.

I have taken the time to write down on paper and carry to the gym with me Rips squat technique and my form will improve. I simply need to return to doing sets of 10 drop some weight and move up slowly.

But thanks for the help

if you have weak hammies, then your form doing squats as RIP suggests is obviously very wrong.

and now you are adding leg press and leg curl.. good luck mate.
I'd like to suggest you buy some padding for the section of the wall that you will be smacking your head against over and over...

Leg press and leg Curls will improve the strength of my hamstrings. Why would that be a bad thing?

Leg press and leg Curls will improve the strength of my hamstrings. Why would that be a bad thing?

You need to sort out why your squat isn't going up, or figure out what is wrong with your form. Take a video and post it up. Doing leg curls and leg press will not make your squat go up 10kg. Squatting more frequently with good form should.

You need to sort out why your squat isn't going up, or figure out what is wrong with your form. Take a video and post it up. Doing leg curls and leg press will not make your squat go up 10kg. Squatting more frequently with good form should.

So strengthening weak areas of my squat, my hamstrings won't improve my squat? Doesn't make sense.

Yes my form may need improvement and I am constantly trying to do that, psoting a video though is not going to happen as I simply can't

You have asked for help, received it, and now disregard it.
Good luck with your lifting goals for 2011.

I think the point guys are trying to make is that curls won't help your squat because it's not your hamstrings that are weak. At a 100 kg squat, everything is weak and technique most likely needs work. Doing curls won't fix that. And it's not the amount of reps either.