• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can't move up in my squat weight!!!

A few points:
-You say your form is good. It may not be. Do you have a video uploaded here anywhere?
- You need to eat more. You don't need to drink 4l of milk but you could achieve your goals at calorie maintenance or close to it.
-Have you read starting strength? Are you doing the program properly? You don't mention warm up sets in your journal. Rippetoe describes in a fair bit of detail how you should set up your reps and sets.
- I hear what everyone is saying about changing the reps up. I did 5x5 for a while and then stalled, switched up to 20 reps now doing the next thing. but 80 odd kg is too low be stalling from linear progression. Stick with starting strength but do it right and profit.

Colour me surprised that a newbie squatting bugger all has "great form".

I've seen veterans in the lifting game squatting well over 300kg still working on their form.

No you don't have great form, and as Rip would say, YNDTFP.

+1 on the 20 rep squats. Awesome way to get your squat up, as well as to gain muscle. Is one of the mentally hardest things I have ever done :). I was stagnating around the 150 x 5 mark for ages, swapped to 20 reppers for a while, adding 5kg a session up to 145 x 20. Then I swapped back to 5 rep sets, and got to 175 x 5 reasonably quickly, and squatted 200kg not long after that.

Alright im playing devils advocate a bit here. I like 20 reppers, believe they are good in many ways etc.

But Mick is squatting 80kg for 5's. you guys are talking about 20 reppers after you have stalled on 5's, but your 5's are in the low/mid 100's.

I reckon he should do starting strength but fix his technique, eat better/more and do the program as it is set out.

Thats only 5 more reps than before. 30 would be double. 5 x 3 or whatever is good when you have worked up to it for a 5 x 3 max, but when it is all you do week in week out, it isn't enough.

3 sets of 5 squats 3 times per week is shitloads when they are constantly close to 5RM. OP, just fucken eat more.

And like Dicko said, you're nowhere near maxing out what you should be able to get doing starting strength.

You need to decide if you want to get ripped or get strong.

You're fucking about doing 100 burpees, complexes and sprints every other day of the week. How much weight have you put on in the 2+ months?

Mickdog said:
Not looking to put on weight. Looking to lose it if anything. Concentrating on strength and weight loss

Mickdog said:
just want to look really good that means cutting the fat and increasing the muscle.

Mickdog said:
i'm eating good and lifting big

couple of quotes from this thread.
basically, you are going to get no-where.

i dont believe you should change your reps up for the reason that it'll just make things more complicated.

couple of quotes from this thread.
basically, you are going to get no-where.

X2!!!!

Has anyone mentioned 20 rep squats yet??? Lol

I think you need a good motivating poster on your wall more then anything. If you want to squat more then 80 then you can. If you think it's too hard then it will be.

As far as weight loss goes. Why don't you write off another year before you get to your beach body and actually eat some food so your muscle and strength increase. I'm sure the ladies can wait on more year... Besides it will be easier to loose weight if you have more muscle.

Thanks for the replys. I failed again on my squats and definately think its my diet. The thing that I want though is simply to get ripped. So how important than is my strength gains?

I'll start eating big again come winter but want to see how much fat I can lose up until then. Definately going to start doing more reps on some days.

Looking at Riptoes program I have discovered my rest periods are certainly not long enough. He recomends up to 7 minutes for squats. Might try longer rests between sets

I cant back this up with a link but there has been studies that any more rest the 4 minutes is useless. I'll say it again I can't back that up but I don't see how resting for 7 minutes is going to help you that much. High intensity maximum effort.

You can't polish a terd. You need muscle and low bodyfat to look ripped. My brother weighs around 60kg, lean as shit, but has less muscle mass then some girls. So he has the bodyfat to looked ripped, but no muscle mass. The best way to build muscle is lift weight, get stronger, and eat big. If you do not want to look soft, add in some cardio, 10-15 minutes at the end.

Unless your eating lettuce and carrot all day I don't see why you shouldn't get stronger, through eating at maintainance.

Rest as much as you want. I rest alot more now with the extra volume, workouts go for over 1.5 hours, so you need to take it steady.

Last edited:
Mickdog - how much do you weigh and how tall are you and how old are you?

if you are failing to squat 80kg, then it would mean that you don't carry all that much muscle.
if you don't have much muscle, how exactly do you expect to look ripped?
If you lose weight now to reduce body fat, you will also lose what little muscle you have.
so when you get down to single digit fat %, (which on a muscular strong person would look great), you will simply look like a skinny school kid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6giM9UAv0]YouTube - Iron Maiden - Aces High[/ame]

Now go lift

i feel like playing some megaman more than lifting after the intro of that song before the singing starts.