• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

rmr tested

stewyh

Ok ,I finally went to a dr/dietition to get my resting metabolic rate tested and see what it was.

According to the the test i burn 1910 cal a day and in order to lose weight i need to adjust down to 1410 cal a day in order to lose weight.

My stats are male 180cm weight 95kg and am 44yrs old. I have a sedentary job with little walking about. I have been eating anywhere from 1800 cal to 2400 a day for well over a year but have slowly increased weight from 89kg to 95kgs, with body fat going from 27ish to 30ish.

I currently work out full body workouts with squats,bench,pull downs,seated rows and shoulder presses doing 3-4 sets of each with about 60sec rest between sets 3times a week. After which i will do hiit for about 15min to finish of with. I will also do walking for an hour twice a week.

My question is should i go this low on cal as it seems a bit low.I need to lose the weight so will do so, but would like a few opinions to what you guys think.
Ta Stewy

Ok ,I finally went to a dr/dietition to get my resting metabolic rate tested and see what it was.

According to the the test i burn 1910 cal a day and in order to lose weight i need to adjust down to 1410 cal a day in order to lose weight.

My stats are male 180cm weight 95kg and am 44yrs old. I have a sedentary job with little walking about. I have been eating anywhere from 1800 cal to 2400 a day for well over a year but have slowly increased weight from 89kg to 95kgs, with body fat going from 27ish to 30ish.

I currently work out full body workouts with squats,bench,pull downs,seated rows and shoulder presses doing 3-4 sets of each with about 60sec rest between sets 3times a week. After which i will do hiit for about 15min to finish of with. I will also do walking for an hour twice a week.

My question is should i go this low on cal as it seems a bit low.I need to lose the weight so will do so, but would like a few opinions to what you guys think.
Ta Stewy

Your RMR is NOT your maintenance calories. RMR is your resting metabolic rate, that is how many calories you would burn if you rested all day. Your maintenance is definitely higher than this, probably at least 2500.

2000 calories would probably be a good amount for you. Even though you say you've been eating between 1800 and 2400 per day for the last year, you probably haven't. Do you measure every gram of food to accurately calculate the calories? Every spoon of olive oil that goes into your food? Probably not. If you want to calculate the amount of calories you are eating, you will need to do this. But you don't really have to calculate the exact amount of calories, the important thing is - you need to eat less than you are currently eating.

If you want us to help you maybe post your current diet?

OK so far today i have had oatmeal with 15g whey powder for breaky with tea spoon honey and skim milk.150ml skim milk with coffee and sweetner.
Snack i had a avocaado and 2 boiled eggs. For lunch i had a chicken and salad sandwich on multigrain bread no butter but avocaado.For tea i will probably eat a steak and veg,or stir fry chicken and veg all done in wok with little oil and maybe curry powder as flavour. This is a typical days diet swaping from chicken to tuna on lunches and on days that i work out i will have whey shake with water and banana after workout.

they put a bag over my head and fed oxygen into it for about ten min and measured how much i was taking in thats about all i understood of it

they put a bag over my head and fed oxygen into it for about ten min and measured how much i was taking in thats about all i understood of it
Yeah, so they are measuring how many calories you burn just sitting, doing nothing but breathing.

Going to work, walking around the office, driving, cooking dinner, all that boring shit burns calories.

Working out burns even more. You simply need to increase your activity level and eat healthy. You are on the right track with working out, a little cardio at the end. Keep at it for 3 months and you will see results.

Your goal atm is weight loss, so things like avocado and eggs are high in calories and can be substituted easily. I would substitute that snack for tuna and salad, or tuna and vita wheat.

Last edited:
Yeah, so they are measuring how many calories you burn just sitting, doing nothing but breathing.

Going to work, walking around the office, driving, cooking dinner, all that boring shit burns calories.

Working out burns even more. You simply need to increase your activity level and eat healthy. You are on the right track with working out, a little cardio at the end. Keep at it for 3 months and you will see results.

Your goal atm is weight loss, so things like avocado and eggs are high in calories and can be substituted easily. I would substitute that snack for tuna and salad, or tuna and vita wheat.
ok thanks