• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Possible career change. Firefighter

and for a permanent

permanentfirefighter.jpg

Last edited:
The above is weekly pay..

So in annual terms

A qualified firefighter earns

$1276.96 a week or roughly 80k before tax i believe (if my memory of being on that amount before serves me right)

Personally not enough $$ to do changing shifts at this age. Maybe if younger 20ish and single.

Shift system

The NSWFB is a 24-hour emergency service.
Firefighters work rostered shifts, which includes weekends and public holidays if your shift falls on those days. The rosters are as follows:

• 10/14 Roster - Firefighters work two day shifts (8am - 6pm), followed by two night shifts (6pm - 8am) and then four days off. The majority of Firefighters fall into this category.
  • Back-to-Back Roster - Firefighters work four day shifts (6am - 6pm) then four days off.
  • Special Roster - Firefighters work Monday to Thursday (8am - 4.30pm) and Friday (8am - 4pm).
  • Firefighters can be recalled in case of an emergency.

The top superintendant gets paid 134k per annum i would assume after being their for 20 years or so??

Last edited:
Good but not great....

With my vehicle allowance and bonuses etc I get more than a Superintendant, and I didn't have to wait 20 years... :)

P.S - I also have no Tertiary qualifications.

Good but not great....

With my vehicle allowance and bonuses etc I get more than a Superintendant, and I didn't have to wait 20 years... :)

P.S - I also have no Tertiary qualifications.

What do you do, and how do I become you? :d

But shrek to the majority of the population that is a lot of money and they get huge payouts on retirement think 1 million plus

What do you do, and how do I become you? :d

I am Regional Manager (Sydney) for a Telco.

Worked my way up from being a shit kicker to Supervisor, Line Manager now Regional Manager.
Hopefully by years end I will be NSW Ops Manager.

With NBN (hopefully) kicking off sometime this year the opportunity exists. :)

But shrek to the majority of the population that is a lot of money and they get huge payouts on retirement think 1 million plus
Thats a big payout, but I should be around that figure with Super and what not. (by the time I retire, I'm only 38)

supers always higher in government.. like 19% or so..

matter of fact im going to go buy lotto and retire tommorrow.. heres to wishing

I am Regional Manager (Sydney) for a Telco.

Worked my way up from being a shit kicker to Supervisor, Line Manager now Regional Manager.
Hopefully by years end I will be NSW Ops Manager.

With NBN (hopefully) kicking off sometime this year the opportunity exists. :)

Hmmm NBN means Telstra?

Who told you that mate? Not true unfortunately...

Im basing this info off when I used to contract for railcorp and employees used to get that much here in nsw. I could be wrong here in generalusing about all government departments

Im basing this info off when I used to contract for railcorp and employees used to get that much here in nsw. I could be wrong here in generalusing about all government departments

Once upon a time perhaps... sadly no longer. Not in my dept anyway.

That's pretty bad if your in the public sector and its only 9%. Since you don't get any bonuses or regular payrises. 9% is standard in the private sector that and u get bonuses etc. Then again I assume job security is still good in government jobs?

i think it must be federal govt that get 14.9% state may be different.
my job security is very good. but im not enjoying it as much anymore hence the looking into different work like firefighting. sitting in an office 5 days a week is not fun. options are change of work to completely different or work 4 days a week, im pretty keen on enjoying life and not being obsessed or trapped into chasing the dollar.

i think it must be federal govt that get 14.9% state may be different.
my job security is very good. but im not enjoying it as much anymore hence the looking into different work like firefighting. sitting in an office 5 days a week is not fun. options are change of work to completely different or work 4 days a week, im pretty keen on enjoying life and not being obsessed or trapped into chasing the dollar.

Yeah I hear you. I fell into the trap of chasing the $$ so u can live the good life. Best of everything. But unfortunately it involved working in a 4x4 cube 8 hours a day. I would rather be racing bikes or cars for a living but its too late now to change so late age and career wise with so mny financial commitments to support.

Good on you for looking into it!!!

That's pretty bad if your in the public sector and its only 9%. Since you don't get any bonuses or regular payrises. 9% is standard in the private sector that and u get bonuses etc. Then again I assume job security is still good in government jobs?

The pay rate is indexed to inflation for the next few years... I think that's it as far as payrises.

As far as conditions go, there is the 35 hour work week + flex time (which usually equates to a 9 day fortnight).