• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tinned Tuna

Tuna Calculator | Environmental Working Group

So who should have mercury poisoning by now? :p

'Many people lack a Metallothionene related glutathione-S-Transferase gene called GSTM1 or have a related polymorphism that appears to be key for proper functioning of the body’s own natural detoxification mechanisms'

So whats right for one person is not always right for another...

As i said before yearly testing is advisable if you are eating half the worlds supply of large fish.

Walked past tv the other day mum was watching this... The Cove (2009) - IMDb had a bit about mercury looked very interesting some people might also find it interesting.

Hmm 'the cove' I remember hearing about that, I may have to watch it some time. I remeber watching some shorts for it on youtube, looked kinda messy...

I've been intentionally eating tuna with high levels of mercury. I figure that Mercury is about 14g/cubic centimetre, so by ingesting large quantities of mercury with my tuna, I'm guessing that my muscle weight will increase proportionally.

Good times.

Apparently, from what I've read on the net, skipjack tuna contains less mercury than yellowfin tuna. Most of the cheaper brands use skipjack (coles etc), while the better brands use yellowfin (sole mare, sirena) (yellowfin is larger and therefore chunkier i believe). Personally, i hate the cheaper tuna as it usually has some weird aftertaste and isn't chunky at all. Thoughts on this?

Not sure if its just me, but when I was consuming tuna daily as my main protein source, my mind was really foggy and I had frequent headaches. To the point where I wanted to take a semester off Uni, it was that bad. Had it checked by a doctor who told me to stop consuming tuna for a few weeks.

3 months on and I feel fantastic, no more headaches (ever), head doesn't fog up either. I now eat chicken breasts. Not trying to scare anyone off tuna, but just my personal experience.

good article: http://knowitallhealth.com/2009/01/12/mercury-rising-are-you-eating-too-much-tuna/

Last edited:
Not sure if its just me, but when I was consuming tuna daily as my main protein source, my mind was really foggy and I had frequent headaches. To the point where I wanted to take a semester off Uni, it was that bad. Had it checked by a doctor who told me to stop consuming tuna for a few weeks.

3 months on and I feel fantastic, no more headaches (ever), head doesn't fog up either. I now eat chicken breasts. Not trying to scare anyone off tuna, but just my personal experience.

good article: Mercury Rising - Are You Eating Too Much Tuna? - Know It All Health

For $62.0 you can test your MTHFR gene. Google that and mercury.

Home brand, tuna chunks in springwater!!! 89c a can, mix in a little sweet chilli sauce or some lemon juice and pepper.

John West Flavours - Mild Indian Curry / Mango Chilli
And i like to get sweet chilli in another brand.

from Wednesday to friday the local market place is open and there is tins of tuna for like less than $1 each. You are supposed to be a member to buy there but whenever they ask i say no im not a member, they just process the sale anyway. Those tins of tuna cover morning tea every day at work

condor tuna (same parent company as sole mar) - conga foods

$1.69 for 185g can. oil blend though. just drain the sh!t out of it and you'll be fine

best tuna ive had. ive tried serena (rip off), sole mar and homebrand

Serena Tuna for me too, love it, can eat it with a little salt straight out of tin, if I am going to cook with it I just buy something on special because its a sin too cook Serena it tastes too dam nice, I tried to once by I ate most of it before I had chopped the other ingredients.

Has anybody worked out/ knows how many extra calories the serena Tuna in Oil (185g tins) contains without draining the oil?

I presume the nutritional label is for the 'drained' amount.

I love the oil so really mix it up with the tuna and use it all.