• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tinned Tuna

any online sites to buy bulk tuna??? cheers

Dicko just contact the number on the tin of the tuna you eat and ask to speak to the sales manager.... Thats what I did with the sole mare one and I explained to them I eat 1kg a day 5 tins and am sick of paying rediculous prices... they now have me on aacoutn and I just ring them up tell them how many cartons i want and I pick iut up whenevr I can.

Dicko just contact the number on the tin of the tuna you eat and ask to speak to the sales manager.... Thats what I did with the sole mare one and I explained to them I eat 1kg a day 5 tins and am sick of paying rediculous prices... they now have me on aacoutn and I just ring them up tell them how many cartons i want and I pick iut up whenevr I can.
sweet, cheers mate

Don't know how I've never seen the big tins of woolies tuna before?! Cheap as chippies! Taste good too.

jesus.

Have you checked your blood mercury levels?

yeah braaa its all a bunch of shiiiiiiit scietissts know too much these days... no need to over evaluate things.. just eat the shit get strong dont eat maccas and ur health will be fine.. I dont like to worry about every little discovery some little poindexter in a cape.

Last edited:
yeah braaa its all a bunch of shiiiiiiit scietissts know too much these days... no need to over evaluate things.. just eat the shit get strong dont eat maccas and ur health will be fine.. I dont like to worry about every little discovery some little poindexter in a cape.

Some people lack the enzyme to detoxify mercury.. As a result it builds up till one day its toxic overload and they get sick.

I huess i better hope i have that enzyme then... what supps can u take to help with it i take about 20pills a day so somthing in there shold cover me.
I take daily
vit c
d complex
b
multi
glucosamine, chondoittin , msm
coq10
zinc
calcium
tribulus
bcaa
carnatine
fish oil
spirullina

noobs

there are limits to how much your body can handle[~3 upto 6mcg / day for average to fit person--Same amount that approx leaches out of amalgam fillings (WHO)] and when it comes to lead, arsenic, mercury and thallium etc it can really only do little and that is assuming adequate intake of vital ingredients and better yet chelators to help remove it.

There is a reason why FAO, WHO, fda, tga, AMA, FSANZ, foodauthority and most medical literature recommend to stick with 2-3 cans of tuna a week(Based on ~150g serve) and if fish is your goal aim for smaller species of fish. Mercury builds up and it takes your body several months to halve its current mercury levels.

You can find canned tuna that is specifically LIGHT tuna which is the smaller species and contains less mercury than others.

However its very hard to really know how much mercury your getting in your canned tuna. Assuming its the LIGHT variety for ~150g youd hope its around 20-25mcg of mercury and if its the typical albacore or bigger species you could be looking upto around 75-170mcg. Other bigger fish can contain a lot more eg same serving of swordfish/shark can contain upto 700mcg!
Dolphin and whale meat are notorious for it.

Now 150g we both know is crap all and we are more likely to consume the 425g cans :)
Even if its light tuna thats ~66mcg in a can(optimistic figure leaving out oils etc).

1 can a day X 7 = ~462mcg of mercury a week in just canned tuna form.

Anyone who advocates not worrying about it and things will be alright with the mercury levels we are talking about is simply put, being silly or is dangerously misinformed.

The issue isnt whether its "canned" or not, its the species. Essentially the higher up a food chain(typically larger) the more mercury it would contain.

Im all for fish but the healthier species that are better for us.

Last edited:
just tried sole mare recently, (actually just finished another tin now).

easily the best i have ever tried. a little salty for my tastes, but the tuna is far better than any other tinned variety i have tried. a bit pricey tho too.

i would look into buying it in bulk like 180 suggests, but i am still sitting on the fence re the whole mercury debate

Sirena in oil with chilli, or Sole Mare are about the only tinned stuff I eat. Both are great.

I went back to Coles today, couldn't help myself. $216 later I have three more cartons of Sirena in oil. I actually prefer Sole Mare but you can't go past this price

awesome, i'm going to have to grab myself a couple of crates too! haven't had sirena in a while, but from memory, it was pretty damn good too.