• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Biggest Nutrition Myths

I am not a bodybuilder...

The only results I've gotten so far from my "information" is losing a decent amount of fat (10kg or so). The strength will come in the next several months.

Because i try things for myself rather then read shit and become a know it all over night...

Interesting set of video's there.
I like that one person gained muscle from doing nothing. If only I could do that :) lol

The hunger findings were also interesting at the end.

8. Each extra kilogram of muscle burns 100 calories per day. According to 'Dissecting the energy needs of the body' (McClave, 2001) which gives a detailed description of the calorie requirements of various organs and tissues, at rest an extra kilo of muscle burns 13 cal per day as opposed to a kilo of fat which burns 4.5/kg/BW. This amount is insignificant, as it means that by adding 10kg of muscle, you will be burning an extra 130 calories per day. Woop de doo, eat a large banana.

9. You can gain 10 kilograms of muscle in 3 months. The reality is that a beginner is doing very well to gain 1kg of muscle in a month. Along with some fat. Maybe he can gain a touch more than that, in the first couple of months, but without steroids or muscle memory, that's about the best you can get. It slows down even further as you advance from the beginner stages.

With regard to 8. - what about an active muscle? Even at low activity? I bet you'd see a greater disparity. When is a muscle ever truly inactive? Except maybe the muscle responsible for nose flaring.

9. - bullsht. you can gain a sht tonne of muscle in 3 months as a beginner. It really depends on starting weight and physical condition. A sedentary person who smokes and eats nothing could easily put on ten kilos.

Lol, I can't be bothered doing the maths, but you would have to be eating AND utilising a lot of protein to gain 10kgs of lean muscle. Anyone can put on 10kgs of weight in 3 months, whether its fat or muscle is any ones guess. That is why it is stupid when people go oh I have lost 10kg of fat or put on 5kg of muscle, how did you measure that??

Interesting theories there.

I have around 2000 calories a day over 5 meals; personal preference .. I don't feel "hungry" at all for the last 8 months by doing this and making sure to get enough protein and fibre in the diet.

Have mainly my carbs in the morning/while I am active, with protein too; and mainly protein for my last 2 meals of the day when I am less active.

I just think it's common sense really.

As for the "starvation mode", consuming a very very low calorie diet -- sure you will lose weight; but expect big muscle losses also. Losing "fat" not "weight" is the way to go.

My /0.02c

2. Eating 6 meals per day is better than 3. There is no metabolic advantage of eating more frequently. Skipping breakfast or any other meal or doign intermittent fasting will not make your metabolism crash. There is no limit to how much protein can be absorbed in one meal. Eating 6 times per day will not help you lose fat. Some people will feel more satiated on 3 meals per day, others will feel better with 6 per day. Find what works best for you.

VS.

Interesting from another Sticky thread:

7) Lucky Seven
Bodybuilders make better gains eating 4-6 meals a day and even better with 7. Multiple meals supplies non-stop muscle building nutrients without setting off fat storing hormones and enzymes associated with larger, infrequent meals. The other plus: cortisol control. The many meal approach suppresses cortisol levels, the hormone that can suppress muscle growth.

VS.

Interesting from another Sticky thread:

7) Lucky Seven
Bodybuilders make better gains eating 4-6 meals a day and even better with 7. Multiple meals supplies non-stop muscle building nutrients without setting off fat storing hormones and enzymes associated with larger, infrequent meals. The other plus: cortisol control. The many meal approach suppresses cortisol levels, the hormone that can suppress muscle growth.

Actually cortisol increases after meals...

Actually cortisol increases after meals...

some studies even suggest that low protein diets are better for cortisol ...doesnt mean im not gonna eat protein though...to me 5 meals does make better sense then 3 not because of cortisol levels which are probably more dependent on genetics then anything else anyways..pretty much if i dont eat for ages i get so hungry that i dont care what i eat anymore and i also end up eating more...with 5 meals my insulin stays more constant which keeps me on track and not feeling hungry in between meals...so many unknown factors in nutrition though...i would say people should go with what works best for them personally..

Cortisol isnt an evil hormone...

It is very neccisary. It becomes a problem when it is OVERLY elevated due to a chroic stress repsonse. or HPA dysfunction.

Also if your hormones are optimal they will coutneract the catabolic effects of cortisol... Then again so does eating!

Cortisol isnt the end of the world... In fact many peoples reason for not being able to get through work outs, lack of energy , and ability to get through the day is actually lack of cortisol. Thus the need for caffeine and stims.