• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Biggest Nutrition Myths

A calorie in a calorie is correct in determining how much energy will enter your body and be stored or how much energy will leave your body.

However, protein is needed for the stored calories to go to muscle and for the leaving calories to come from fat.

I have always said that high protein is important. But once calories are set and protein is set, how much of the rest comes from fat and carbs isn't very relevant.

Whata bout thetypes of fat and carbs?

Are we talking about weight loss / health / fat loss/ muscle building / having a six pack.

How can you determin it isnt important? Based on what? It isnt your experience based on your own real life experience or clinical settings?

So its based on regurgitated infomation from other people such as our wonderful Mr Lean Gains.

Naturally a whole food diet packed full of phytonutrients vitmains and minerals filling up the remainder of your diet is more benefitial then filing the remainder with crap?

How can you still sit there and argue that after protein is sorted it doesnt matter what the rest of the diet is?

Your back peddling you edited your last post.. I thought a claorie was a calorie? If so then cheesecake shouldnt matter if protein is filled?

Whata bout thetypes of fat and carbs?

Are we talking about weight loss / health / fat loss/ muscle building / having a six pack.

How can you determin it isnt important? Based on what? It isnt your experience based on your own real life experience or clinical settings?

So its based on regurgitated infomation from other people such as our wonderful Mr Lean Gains.

Naturally a whole food diet packed full of phytonutrients vitmains and minerals filling up the remainder of your diet is more benefitial then filing the remainder with crap?

How can you still sit there and argue that after protein is sorted it doesnt matter what the rest of the diet is?

Your back peddling you edited your last post.. I thought a claorie was a calorie? If so then cheesecake shouldnt matter if protein is filled?

I edited my last post because you edited the one I was replying to. So I added more of your quote. I'm not back paddling.

I will state it clearly now. Calories and protein are the most important thing. If the rest of your calories come from cheesecake, it will have the same effect on body composition. IF, the cheese cake doesn't make you feel shit and fck up your workouts.

Now, if you can eat protein shakes and cheese cake all day and feel fine, then you would be fine. However, it STILL wouldn't be recommended for health reasons, but would work fine for body composition reasons.

My conclusions are based on what I've read from people like Lyle Mcdonald, Alan Aragon, etc, based on what they've analysed form scientific studies. I've also lost 10kg of fat twice, just by limiting calories and getting enough protein. Not that I'm eating lots of unclean foods, but I am only eating 3 times a day, as I feel less hungry that way and I have some carbs for dinner, eat carb and fat meals, etc.

So conclusion: Have some cheesecake, if you account for the calories and get enough protein, and your gains will be the same. Don't make your whole diet cheesecake and protein shakes because it's not good for health and because you will probably feel like shit.

Last edited:
So a calorie isn't a calorie is it smart ass

100 calories of something will store the same amount of energy in the body as 100 calories of something. Where it's stored is determined by the macros, yes, but it's just the protein that matters for the calorie partitioning. Ok?

I you are going to eat less like hulk and myself or if you concede you are too fat and want to reduce your food portioning (which is what you need to do) you need to make sure you are getting reasonable amounts of macro nutrients (for yourself) in the diet chosen.

I cannot follow this thread, but I think we are talking nutrition, not fat control.

Noobs if a calorie is not a calorie could you please explain how it is possible to get more energy out of the same calories.

Your discovery could make me a lot of money.

I you are going to eat less like hulk and myself or if you concede you are too fat and want to reduce your food portioning (which is what you need to do) you need to make sure you are getting reasonable amounts of macro nutrients (for yourself) in the diet chosen.

I cannot follow this thread, but I think we are talking nutrition, not fat control.

Sure. Make sure you get enough protein for maintaining muscle, enough carbs for energy, enough fat for recovery/food taste.

N00bs:

2 scenarios: same person, wants to lose fat.

#1: Eats 2,000 calories, 200g protein, 4 meals a day, plenty of carbs and protein around workouts, eats 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. Some of his carbs are from white bread and cake.

#2 Eats 2,000 calories, 200g protein, 8 meals a day, plenty of carbs and protein around workouts, but 40% protein, 10% carbs and 50% fat all food from clean sources.

Who will do better in your opinion? I say they do exactly the same, assuming their workouts are the same, and the person feels good on both high and low carb diets.

Noobs if a calorie is not a calorie could you please explain how it is possible to get more energy out of the same calories.

Your discovery could make me a lot of money.

Protein and fat are building blocks..

Not just energy, back to the dairy farm.

Didn't answer shit. No surprise really.

If you cant comprehend something so simple dont bother. If you have something personal against me take it up wih pm. Markos pro raw shirt slogan comes to mind.

Fat and protein are building blocks for the body. Carbohydrates are simply glucose in different bonds... Glucose is energy. Fat is excess energy stored.

Fat and protein are utilized for energy yes but not as easily as carbohydrates.

Now Every person is different. It has been stated that eating under maintenance of the wrong foods leads to fat storage. This simply means CALORIES are not simply calories like bro stated in the other topic.

Oliver chimes in yes but macros blah blah.. well that wasnt what OP was stating before he simply changed his tune.

Now like i stated everybody is different, has different rates of enzyme conversion and naturally will do better on different macro breakdowns as once again a calorie isnt a calorie when your body is concerned. If it was everyone could do the same thing and have the same results.

Yes a kcal is a kcal in regards to it's amount of heat required to raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree celcius at 1 atmosphere pressure.. However like i stated in thebody it is not the same.

Thats not taking into account the phsycological response to rapid carbohydrate ingestion and its effects on fat gain... The thermogenic effect of different macros and also the micro nutrient content of processed vs unprocessed carbs making up the remainder of the diet.

Once again if you have a problem you know where to find me..

Last edited:
If you cant comprehend something so simple dont bother. If you have something personal against me take it up wih pm. Markos pro raw shirt slogan comes to mind.

Fat and protein are building blocks for the body. Carbohydrates are simply glucose in different bonds... Glucose is energy. Fat is excess energy stored.

Now Every person is different. It has been stated that eating under maintenance of the wrong foods leads to fat storage. This simply means CALORIES are not simply calories like bro stated in the other topic.

Oliver chimes in yes but macros blah blah.. well that wasnt what OP was stating before he simply changed his tune.

Now like i stated everybody is different, has different rates of enzyme conversion and naturally will do better on different macro breakdowns as once again a calorie isnt a calorie when your body is concerned. If it was everyone could do the same thing and have the same results.

Yes a kcal is a kcal in regards to it's amount of heat required to raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree celcius at 1 atmosphere pressure.. However like i stated in thebody it is not the same.

Thats not taking into account the phsycological response to rapid carbohydrate ingestion and its effects on fat gain... The thermogenic effect of different macros and also the micro nutrient content of processed vs unprocessed carbs making up the remainder of the diet.

Once again if you have a problem you know where to find me..

I see no evidence there of calories doing anything different than what you would expect calories to do.

I have no problem at all with anyone here noobs.

If anybody cares, I'm doing a current transformation which is related to the discussion in this thread.

Started few days prior to New Years, so about 4 1/2 weeks in now.
77.5kg at 183cm tall (yes, skinny)
14.5% bodyfat (abs slightly visible)

Diet:
2 meals per day:
Breakfast & Before Bed meal.
Taking around 3300 calories.

Been on it just over 1 month now.
Up to 82kg from 77.5kg starting weight.
Seem to have lost fat (or not increased % anyway), as abs more visible and more veins coming out.

Will track progress in the 2011 transformation thread and my own members journal.

A calorie is still a fucking calorie by its very definition.

Read between the lines and in context with this conversation , your smart enough for that..

" a calorie of fat carbohydrate protein from processed or unprocessed foods does not simply have the same metabolic effects on the body as each other nor does it have the same micronutrient breakdown"

If anybody cares, I'm doing a current transformation which is related to the discussion in this thread.

Started few days prior to New Years, so about 4 1/2 weeks in now.
77.5kg at 183cm tall (yes, skinny)
14.5% bodyfat (abs slightly visible)

Diet:
2 meals per day:
Breakfast & Before Bed meal.
Taking around 3300 calories.

Been on it just over 1 month now.
Up to 82kg from 77.5kg starting weight.
Seem to have lost fat (or not increased % anyway), as abs more visible and more veins coming out.

Will track progress in the 2011 transformation thread and my own members journal.

What exactly are you eating for each meal?

That's why you can't go past tried and tested methods..

Real world results are all that ever matters.

I never changed my tune, don't say I did. What you say about fat and protein and carbs is incorrect. Actually, dietary fat is usually the one that turns into stored fat. By increasing carbs, the body has to spend more time burning the carbs and more fat is left that isn't burned and is stored. Only when your fat intake is very low do carbs turn into fat.

Respond to my scenario from the previous page.

Bro, your posts really do have the feel of someone who's read a lot of books, but not done a lot himself, or coached others to do the same.

Long ago I suggested we put our lifts or other achievements in our sigs, and I stand by that. Because in the end, results count.

There are many things which sound good on paper but don't work so well in practice. So that's where I'm coming from with 3 vs 6 meals etc. Whatever the thermogenic effect or other physiology of it, it helps people control their portion size better to have multiple small meals. We have to look at solutions that work in the real world.

Yeah, sure, if person A had 2,400kcal made up of 60/20/20 pro/fat/cho they'd get different results from the person who had 2,400kcal made up of 20/20/60 pro/fat/cho. But the simple fact is that nobody is going to weigh and calculate everything like that. So we need real world solutions. As the saying goes, if it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid - but by the same token, if it's smart and it doesn't work, it isn't smart. So let's talk results.

What is your experience in working with people and giving them solutions? On what are you basing your article? Your reading? I hope not, I can read articles myself, I don't need you to summarise them.

Put your lifts and coaching experience in your sig, we'll know how to take your words then.