• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Missing a Lift

After failing a lift....try again next session/week.
If you still fail, then consider what you can do to build upto that lift.

Oh, you'll obviously need to determine why you failed, if its a psychological failure its easier to push through than a physical failure...

Oh, you'll obviously need to determine why you failed, if its a psychological failure its easier to push through than a physical failure...[/QUOTE]

I dont agree 100% man. We have quite a few forum members (myself included) who are capable of lifting more, but cant get past the mental block.

My bench was stuck at 115kg for ages. I could do 3x3 at 112.5, but put 117.5kg on the bar, and it would get burried on my chest. It was all mental.

Try doing it at a non-hardcore gym where all the people stop to look at u doing double plate bench for reps.. U always lift more as ego boost FTW :)

Just try again.

I failed my 140kg squat a couple of weeks ago, then the following week i came out and smashed it. Then, the following week i smashed it for 2 singles, and then then this week i did it for a single and then 142.5kg for a single.

For me it was just a mental thing. "omg 140kg on my back" type thing. I failed it twice the first time i tried it. Failed badly straight down to the safety bars. I psyched myself up all week and then came out and smashed it.

Attempt it again next week and see how you go. If you start to think you wont be able to do it, chances are you wont! Think positive.

Rarely anyone without years of experience will fail a lift because they are not strong enough.

There is always something technical you could have improved on. At near maximal weights, very minor technical errors can mean the difference between success and failure.
You can always improve on your mental focus.

Remember this, and know that it wasn't because you weren't strong enough.

Identify one thing you could have done better, fix it and you will hit the lift next time.

Just try again.

I failed my 140kg squat a couple of weeks ago, then the following week i came out and smashed it. Then, the following week i smashed it for 2 singles, and then then this week i did it for a single and then 142.5kg for a single.

For me it was just a mental thing. "omg 140kg on my back" type thing. I failed it twice the first time i tried it. Failed badly straight down to the safety bars. I psyched myself up all week and then came out and smashed it.

Attempt it again next week and see how you go. If you start to think you wont be able to do it, chances are you wont! Think positive.
So true, I did this ages ago after doing 20 repper squats for a while, 1 day I smashed out the reps, thought shit that was hard but satisfying, then realised I had 10kg extra on the bar than wasnt meant to be there. If I had of known it was there I think I would have psyched myself out.

Oh, you'll obviously need to determine why you failed, if its a psychological failure its easier to push through than a physical failure...[/QUOTE]

I dont agree 100% man. We have quite a few forum members (myself included) who are capable of lifting more, but cant get past the mental block.
<cut>

It varies on what your doing. And its only my personal opinion anyway :)
I find deadlift sometimes I don't push through it and fail mentally rather than physically.

Bench its usually physical. Squat its a mix :).
And obviously motivation/determination vary

I think it's OK to fail as long as you make the effort to analyze why you fail and learn from it.

Most people take up lifting, get some improvements then fail a big lift one day and just give up and say they're now focusing on.... bodybuilding. Yeah right.

Your 'miss' could be technical or mental. As Andy discussed....out of the 10,000 lifts you do in a year, the 30,000 you could do over the span of a few years. Or even 10,000 you do over ten years...missing a lift isnt a big deal.

If it's mental, your forgetting things. If it's technical, going back to basics would be of assistance. Likewise so would adding some more resistance to work on the technique breakdown.