• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cutting and Bulking diet examples please?

I think to make it easy I'll just put my diet into calorie king every day and try to stay at 2000 calories using lean red meat, fish, chicken, Turkey, oats, multigrain bread and pasta, basmati rice and vegetables. That should ensure I stay healthy and lose some weight.

Today was an interresting day, I went over my target by a thousand calories from beer and junk food. But hey thats what Australia day is about:p

Make a diet that roughly hits your macros and calorie needs based on variety and your taste pallet and 95% of the time you'll get it right. Prescribing you someone elses diet with someone elses favourite foods is always a recipe for failure, physiologically and psychologically.

Make a diet that roughly hits your macros and calorie needs based on variety and your taste pallet and 95% of the time you'll get it right. Prescribing you someone elses diet with someone elses favourite foods is always a recipe for failure, physiologically and psychologically.

Thanks so much for that. I have been waiting to hear that off somebody. I enjoy eating this

Breakfast = Oats with milk and blueberries.
Smoko = Fruit, nuts maybe a sandwich, some tuna, chicken leftovers etc.
Lunch = Left overs or sanwiches for lunch. I make this great pasta salad with Tuna, Semi dried Tomatos, Chargrilled capsicans and olives. Sensational.
Dinner = Steak/Chops/Sausages/Chicken/Fish with potatos/pasta and sauce and vegetables.

I eat all that and come in a fair bit under my calories needed from calories king.

Only thing I need is a boost before my workout, would it be stupid to drink a coke or have a coffea or even a red bull?

I cant see a macro breakdown of what youre eating, it looks a little high carb and low on efas. Again you need to make sure the macros are okay too. Here are some good figures:

Weight loss
Protein = 1g x lb target BW
Carbs = 1g x lb target BW
Fat = 0.5g x lb target BW

Maintenance
Carbs = 1.5g x lb target BW

Weight gain
Carbs = 2-2.5g x lb target BW

Target bodyweight is the weight you're aiming for. Assuming youre reasonably tall (5'10-6'2) 180-200lb is where lean body mass maxes out, so if you add on 8-10% bodyfat that will give you a figure of around 210.

You obviously like having 3-4 meals a day, so break you calories/macros up into 3-4 parts and fill them with what you feel comfortable eating.

I cant see a macro breakdown of what youre eating, it looks a little high carb and low on efas. Again you need to make sure the macros are okay too. Here are some good figures:

Weight loss

Maintenance

Weight gain

Target bodyweight is the weight you're aiming for. Assuming youre reasonably tall (5'10-6'2) 180-200lb is where lean body mass maxes out, so if you add on 8-10% bodyfat that will give you a figure of around 210.

You obviously like having 3-4 meals a day, so break you calories/macros up into 3-4 parts and fill them with what you feel comfortable eating.

Sounds good. I'm around 90kg and 175cm. My target is 75kg's. Want to really cut down.

So it would be
Protein = 165g / 35%
Carbs = 247g / 50%
Fat = 82g / 15%

Last edited:
Sure. me personally I'd go 80kg. Your figure for carbs is still high. It would be:

Weight loss
Protein = 1 x 175 (80kg x 2.2) = 175
Carbs = x 1 x 175 = 175
Fat = 0.5 x 175 = 87 (make it 90 for simplicitys sake)

So at 4 meals a day each meal should be roughly:

Protein = 45g
Carbs = 45g
Fat = 22.5g

Our primary goal should be fat loss and not weight loss. Plenty of people lose weight by simply reducing calories, its not rocket science, but if we want fat loss then the Macro nutrient make up is important. There are also other benefits of having carbs less than 20% on a diet.

Iron Addict:

"Calories are NOT calories. You can gain fat while being on an under maintenance caloric level by simply having your macro nutrient profiles screwed up. I read a very well conducted study recently where they took over 1500 people and put them on a diet that was 1000 calories below maintenance levels and the primary macro-nutrient was fructose. The vast majority of the people actually GAINED bodyfat while eating 1000 calories less than maintenance levels. The scale weight went down, and when they tested body composition they determined the people had lost a lot of muscle while actually storing more bodyfat. Without going into diet details as this is not what this article is for, the simple take home message is carbs are not your friend on a fat loss diet. That is not conjecture, just basic physiology."

Please read what I said. I will say it again for the 3rd time. As long as you have your calories set right and are getting sufficient protein, how the rest of your diet is made up does not matter. The protein will stop the muscle loss. Whether the rest is made up of fat or carbs doesn't matter. Capish?

Weight loss

Maintenance

Weight gain

Sounds good, although your protein and fat intake would probably also go up a bit when you go from weight loss or weight gain, because it's not like your extra food will be pure carbohydrate, but it doesn't really matter, those are fine numbers to shoot for.

The point to stress here is that, yes we are lowering carbs when losing weight. But it's not because carbs make us fat. It's because we need to reduce calories, but protein takes priority, so we must reduce carbs, as that diet wasn't too high in fat in the first place.

Please read what I said. I will say it again for the 3rd time. As long as you have your calories set right and are getting sufficient protein, how the rest of your diet is made up does not matter. The protein will stop the muscle loss. Whether the rest is made up of fat or carbs doesn't matter. Capish?

Lol, really? And what happens when we reduce fat to less than 20% of the diet.

Everyone is biased, and we all want to be right, for the most part we are, but we are also wrong.

Part of the problem with forums is that anyone can give advice or an opinion.
We get boggled down by different opinions and studies by "experts".
I'd rather get advice by people who have been there and done it than by some book or study.

Everyone wants specific diets, macro nutrients, bla bla, before they even start a diet. Eat fresh nutritious food to start with, and then whether or not you eat 2 slices of bread or oats is minor compared to the rest of your diet.

The best tools to measure whether a diet is effective or not should be a mirror and a measuring tape.

Lol, really? And what happens when we reduce fat to less than 20% of the diet.

Everyone is biased, and we all want to be right, for the most part we are, but we are also wrong.

Part of the problem with forums is that anyone can give advice or an opinion.
We get boggled down by different opinions and studies by "experts".
I'd rather get advice by people who have been there and done it than by some book or study.

Everyone wants specific diets, macro nutrients, bla bla, before they even start a diet. Eat fresh nutritious food to start with, and then whether or not you eat 2 slices of bread or oats is minor compared to the rest of your diet.

The best tools to measure whether a diet is effective or not should be a mirror and a measuring tape.

What happens when we reduce fat to less than 20% of the diet? Nothing? We increase protein and carbs, not much else happens. You shouldn't go too low with fat though, it's meant to be good for recovery.

Exactly, eat healthy and it doesn't matter if you eat bread or not is exactly what I am saying.

However, I disagree that studies are the wrong place to look for nutrition info. Some studies are badly designed sure, but the good ones are a better source of information than anecdotes. Why? Hundreds of people can say that they lost fat by restricting carbs after 6pm. Does that mean that everyone should restrict carbs after 6pm? No. It means that this is one way which has helped many people to cut their calories. It only worked because it reduced their daily calories. Studies show us this, anecdotes do not. Those of us who can control our calories can enjoy carbs after 6pm.

Just something to add. Maybr slightly of topic

When you reduce your daily energy intake to 60 percent of what you burn, you don’t necessarily have to lose muscle mass. If you increase your protein intake your muscles will stay as they are, write sports scientists from the University of Birmingham in England in an article in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

Dont be too extreme. Before it was all about low fat because fat is evil and makes you fat. Now its all about low carbs because carbs make you fat. Then we had people who used to advocate low intensity long duration cardio, now its intervals or nothing.

Keep it simple, calorie deficit, protein.

Dont be too extreme. Before it was all about low fat because fat is evil and makes you fat. Now its all about low carbs because carbs make you fat. Then we had people who used to advocate low intensity long duration cardio, now its intervals or nothing.

Keep it simple, calorie deficit, protein.

Thanks, best thing to hear.