• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Kez

Hey guys,

Little disheartened here. After a great session on Wednesday with increases on almost all my lifts, I went in today to find the extreme opposite. I'd eaten well, had a great sleep, I felt good, I mentally pumped after my last session was look forward to see what I could lift this time. Only I got in there and failed 4 reps into my first set of squats. I'm doing the PTC beginners routine. I had increased the weights from last week, but only 2.5kg heavier.

The rest of my routine was just as pathetic. Even after I got angry with myself and used that anger my muscles still didn't feel worked after each set and I just couldn't find the energy to punish them.

Does this happen to you guys too from time to time?

Happens to all of us, mate. See Dan John's Rule of Five.
I have a little formula concerning workouts which I call the "Rule of Five."

In a group of five workouts, I tend to have one great workout: the kind of workout that makes me think that in just a few weeks I could be an Olympic champion and Mr. Olympia. Then, I have one workout that's so awful that the mere fact I continue to exist as a somewhat higher form of life is a miracle. Then, the other three workouts are the "punch the clock" workouts: I go in, work out, and walk out. Most people experience this.​
The crappy workout will quite often be right after an awesome one. During an awesome one, we go for personal bests, and if we were going to add 2.5kg, add 5 or 10kg instead. We've overextended ourselves, burned ourselves out - so next time it's crappy.

It happens. Get up, dust yourself off, keep going.

Just keep on battling mate. As Kyle stated, everyone has these days where it just feels wring and other days it all slips into place and you feel like a champion, try to think of these days when your having a shit one.

These are the make or break workouts, where you test if your strength and willpower isn't tested by personal bests but by just getting through the workout. Pb's are a piece of cake when your feeling your best, but when you feel like puking or your body isn't doing what it's supposed to do is when you make a pb with the mental side of lifting.

Last edited:
yes we all have off days... but a true mentally strong warrior will complete there program no matter what the situation

1 thing I am trying now (and it seems to help) is you know how you have a group of excercise for your say leg workout, well change it up and instead of doing squats first do leg press first for 2 weeks and then back to squats etc etc.
Body is adjusting constantly

1 thing I am trying now (and it seems to help) is you know how you have a group of excercise for your say leg workout, well change it up and instead of doing squats first do leg press first for 2 weeks and then back to squats etc etc.
Body is adjusting constantly

You should stop talking now.

Broscience is bad m'kay.

I love it when comments like that are posted.

Perhaps please share your wisdom with us?

I read everywhere etc changing things, keep the body guessing etc etc so is there something wrong with what i posted?

My squats stopped going up, so i swapped to press first and practice more sqaut technique, guess what i beat my PB for reps on the leg press now 315KG (previous 240KG).

Not having a go but would love to hear the reasons on your comment.

I love it when comments like that are posted.

Perhaps please share your wisdom with us?

I read everywhere etc changing things, keep the body guessing etc etc so is there something wrong with what i posted?

My squats stopped going up, so i swapped to press first and practice more sqaut technique, guess what i beat my PB for reps on the leg press now 315KG (previous 240KG).

Not having a go but would love to hear the reasons on your comment.

He's a beginner lifter who just had a bad session, for him consistency is integral to progression. Jumping between exercises every 2 weeks won't do him a bit of good in comparison. The whole "body adapting constantly" theory is a fallacy for him and most trainees below advanced levels. They haven't got anywhere near their muscle's natural maximum potential and even then program set/rep periodisation will usually suffice.

Yeah your so right
I hate when I don't get those endorphins kick it
like your one cloud 9

but then I say hey at least I even did something