• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time to create a proper strength gym in adelaide.

I want to slit my wrists after reading this. Read the whole thread again LegalAttorney (and perhaps some of your older rants - I.e. Derek Boyer) and ask yourself - would you invest money with you??

I want to slit my wrists after reading this. Read the whole thread again LegalAttorney (and perhaps some of your older rants - I.e. Derek Boyer) and ask yourself - would you invest money with you??

go slit your wrists champ, if you knew anything about anything investing money in a business has got nothing to do with internet chat..

yes i am arrogant, yes i voice my opinions...

yes, i have the opinion mr.boyer was not entirely drug free for his whole lifting period, and if he was then it is even more astounding to what he achieved.... to me having some unatural assistance allows you to have the capacity to work so MUCH more harder than normal, but you still have to toil and sweat and put in so much effort yourself, any gear will not do that for you...it will not do any work.... the lifter inside you and who you are HAS to. which is why i came across as so arrogant when i blatantly said my opinion....

you do not know me, or who i am... the internet is a great tool to exact some of your issues inside if you do not see a councillor which i believe everyone should.

finally, the some of the greatest entrepreneurs are those who people who have the niche, and passion to succeed and maintain drive...

i am passionate about powerlifting and if i can make it happen, i will....

ill try every avenue if i believe i cannot do it on my own, including talking to businesses and possibly get some sort of initial investment and future renumeration/sponsorship down the track... it is all a pipe dream atm and if we have enough of a target group, it can take off, if it doesn't, then it will be a long, hard road which i will take on my back... and will have to make do...

EDIT: apparently 16 other people have the same vision as me atm on the facebook event... what do you have? negativity... thats what.. you go slit your wrists...

Last edited:
I for one am all for a powerlifting gym that embodies the same mentality I take towards my training. However I am reluctant to invest/join a gym where the owner is so highly strung and anal.

Sorry, but good luck to you.

i_like_where_this_thread_is_going_ship_heading_into_epic_storm.jpg

thanks champ, i hope your mentality of forming opinions on the net rather than actually meeting people first hand will not limit your opportunities in life.

good luck to you too.

LOL @ JDizz

Last edited:
I hate to say it Legal, but if you didnt bad mouth your previous gyms and have this huge arguiment with tfg, i reckon you would have had a lot more people interested.

3 of my mates where keen when i told them about your idea but after having read this thread, all have lost interest.

Also. On your FB page it says your meeting will be between 12:30 and 3:30 i think it was on like a Monday? I would have though most people would be unable to make this due to having to work? I know it would rule me out.

I hate to say it Legal, but if you didnt bad mouth your previous gyms and have this huge arguiment with tfg, i reckon you would have had a lot more people interested.

3 of my mates where keen when i told them about your idea but after having read this thread, all have lost interest.

Also. On your FB page it says your meeting will be between 12:30 and 3:30 i think it was on like a Monday? I would have though most people would be unable to make this due to having to work? I know it would rule me out.

yea mate, well thats me... i got no problem in telling it how it is..

um... if you read im actually using the event as an indicator as to how many genuinely interested parties there are, then the first meeting will be scheduled... this way, we wont stuff anyone around if there is lack of interest... so yea, dont take the time and date as gospel... thats still up in the air....

and if your mates are worried about who is running the show, no one will be...ill just be paying the bills and telling people off for leaving weights on the bars :p

we have 3 strongmen and more who will attend the gym and loads of powerlifters, so if it gets kicking, the environment will be one of committment and success.

Last edited:
Obviously if you can squat 2x bodyweight, or deadlift 2.5x bodyweight or bench 1.5x bodyweight your automatically invited, ANY LESS than this and you will be required to explain as to why you want to join a real man's gym.
So it'll be a bit of a sausage-fest, not many women are going to SQ2, DL2.5 and BP1.5. Thus you begin by halving your potential membership, which I would not call a brilliant move in business terms. Nor will novices get in. I should think that novices will be a bit nervous to "explain themselves."

You will take people who are already strong, and make them stronger. I hope you won't be thinking too well of yourself for this achievement.

As well, if you restrict membership to those who are already strong, you'll have a small membership base. This means it'll cost more per person to be there. For example, if total annual running costs are a mere $50,000, with 100 members it'll be $500 each, with 10 members $5,000. And of course running costs are likely to be much, much more than that.

If you wanted investment, it would be better to sell non-cancellable Lifetime Membership cards for (say) $2,000, cards which could be sold on. Once told what the place would be like, only those with the "right" attitude would sign up, or those who are happy to throw their money away; either will help you put your vision into place. You'd need to keep selling them, though, since you'll want staff at your gym unless you intend to be there during all its opening hours.

Hulk raises many sensible points, as does Markos. They make their money running a business, so listen to them.
legalattorney said:
apparently 16 other people have the same vision as me atm on the facebook event
They clicked a button on a webpage. This does not translate well into investment in an ongoing business.

Last edited:
So it'll be a bit of a sausage-fest, not many women are going to SQ2, DL2.5 and BP1.5. Nor will novices get in. I should think that novices will be a bit nervous to "explain themselves."

You will take people who are already strong, and make them stronger. I hope you won't be thinking too well of yourself for this achievement.

As well, if you restrict membership to those who are already strong, you'll have a small membership base. This means it'll cost more per person to be there. For example, if total annual running costs are a mere $50,000, with 100 members it'll be $500 each, with 10 members $5,000. And of course running costs are likely to be much, much more than that.

Hulk raises many sensible points, as does Markos. They make their money running a business, so listen to them.

They clicked a button on a webpage. This does not translate well into investment in an ongoing business.

Who said i was going to restrict membership to specifically those numbers? I thought any person who could do any one of those 3 lifts would have shown committment and dedication to get their strength to that level.. thats obviously what we want.. people who are willing to achieve...

if you read, i said people who still maintain the vision, drive and committment that we are after and want to succeed in powerlifting, but cannot do one of the three to those levels yet, are more than welcome to attend the meetings.

and yes, obviously clicking a web page doesnt mean your good to go.. any person with half a brain would realise that... it is about starting somewhere though.

and also, we encourage the strong to come and join, because they have values instilled that we are after... this would benefit the lifters who are just starting out and those who want to greatly improve obviously.... lifting with a bunch of strongmen and people stronger than me has made me realise this..

thanks for your advice though!

Last edited:
Okay then i didnt realise thats what was happening with the meetings. If the meeting is on the weekend i would definitely come and have a listen.

I think the gym you described would be a great place to train and one i would defintely like to check out.

The amount of tips and knowledge i could get from the people that go to this type of gym would be invaluable.

I really do hope this gets off the ground.

Okay then i didnt realise thats what was happening with the meetings. If the meeting is on the weekend i would definitely come and have a listen.

I think the gym you described would be a great place to train and one i would defintely like to check out.

The amount of tips and knowledge i could get from the people that go to this type of gym would be invaluable.

I really do hope this gets off the ground.

yea mate.. training with a bunch of dudes who want to get strong is really empowering...

for a time, the gym in adelaide was like that, until one of the owners had a bit of a spat..

and if i can make a place for a group of people who all can bring each other up with seeing strength and committment, we can all make SA a stronger state. We can all improve beyond what we think is possible....

Why should the USA be one of the leaders in terms of gyms.. just having a look at a few layouts shows how much more opportunity and growth can already be planted in your training by training in the RIGHT environment.

watch from about 2:00 onwards:

[YOUTUBE]5ouqXqh2Exk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]EiGg_e0KMd4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Who said i was going to restrict membership to specifically those numbers?
You.

"ANY LESS than this and you will be required to explain as to why you want to join a real man's gym."

In practice, people are not going to beg you for the right to give you money. Other gyms will happily take their money without argument or arrogant demands that they explain themselves.

You did not address the point that you are excluding half of the potential members. "A real man's gym." Of course you are free to do so - except for that pesky discrimination legislation. But I would not advise it if you are seeking some degree of success in your endeavour.

Any time you set up a business, even a non-profit one, you have to ask yourself why people will come to your place and not some other.

For example, I found out today that one of my clients, their work gives them a free membership to Fitness First. They choose not to go there, and to pay to come to the gym I work out - as well as paying for PT. And when they moved house recently, they looked for a place in the same suburb, partly because they wanted to stay training with me. Obviously our gym and/or my training offers something that FF and other gyms don't - the client is willing to pay for what they can get for free.

What will your place offer that others don't?

If you begin by excluding women and telling all the men they have to prove themselves to you, you are going to encourage most to go elsewhere. As others have pointed out, there actually are decent gyms in Adelaide people can go to if they want to train for serious strength. So why will people go to yours?
if you knew anything about anything investing money in a business has got nothing to do with internet chat..
Edited to note:- and if you knew anything about running a business, you would know that your conduct everywhere matters, and will come back to help or hinder you. There's a reason Markos is much more polite online than he used to be. Image matters, you can't control everything about your reputation, you can at least control what you say.

Last edited:
You.

"ANY LESS than this and you will be required to explain as to why you want to join a real man's gym."

In practice, people are not going to beg you for the right to give you money. Other gyms will happily take their money without argument or arrogant demands that they explain themselves.

You did not address the point that you are excluding half of the potential members. "A real man's gym." Of course you are free to do so - except for that pesky discrimination legislation. But I would not advise it if you are seeking some degree of success in your endeavour.

Any time you set up a business, even a non-profit one, you have to ask yourself why people will come to your place and not some other.

For example, I found out today that one of my clients, their work gives them a free membership to Fitness First. They choose not to go there, and to pay to come to the gym I work out - as well as paying for PT. And when they moved house recently, they looked for a place in the same suburb, partly because they wanted to stay training with me. Obviously our gym and/or my training offers something that FF and other gyms don't - the client is willing to pay for what they can get for free.

What will your place offer that others don't?

If you begin by excluding women and telling all the men they have to prove themselves to you, you are going to encourage most to go elsewhere. As others have pointed out, there actually are decent gyms in Adelaide people can go to if they want to train for serious strength. So why will people go to yours?

Edited to note:- and if you knew anything about running a business, you would know that your conduct everywhere matters, and will come back to help or hinder you. There's a reason Markos is much more polite online than he used to be. Image matters, you can't control everything about your reputation, you can at least control what you say.

Mate, all i can say to you is you don't understand... obviously people who don't have serious strength will be asked as to why they want to join and where they want to go... if they say, i want to get some serious strength and go places with it.. then they are more than welcome to come... if they want a place to fuck around with their mates, and do not take lifting seriously, then they are not.

Thats not restricting everyone to a deadlift 2.5x and all the rest of it... if you read... it says obviously if you can..... your automatically invited..... any less, then yes, some explaining about why they want to choose strength as a path to go on will be required... we want to see some passion!

I never specifically said that this gym is restricted to males.. yes females are allowed to join as long as they know what hard work is.. i have already 1 female who will join up and have fun on the prowler and sled to develop some sprint power and leg strength. She cannot even squat 1/2 bodyweight yet, but she has seen me with my strongman training and has started to change her diet and training because she has developed a passion and is inspired to become a better and stronger person.. and yes you may imply and assume that a 'real mans gym' excludes females, but in business, assume nothing.

Why will people want to join? Because it will be full of people on a path to success in their lifting, who maintain drive and passion. It won't be full of people who think its okay to take hours to use a bar... unless of course they're lifting for the whole time...

Anyway, thanks for your advice. If people want to go elsewhere, then so be it..thats their choice.

in my opinion the only gym where i have been with people serious about their lifting and training is up in crafers with some strongmen and at worlds when i was only surrounded by a bunch of powerlifters...

my vision is to emulate that into a gym so people can train in an environment where they will succeed all the time because they train with people with the right mindset.

Last edited:
legal you've got some good visions but you're an idiot and it's ruining you're chances of getting this thing off the ground. good luck with it.

How will you make the objective decision as to who makes it in, and who fails? Will there be a grading system? Who makes the decision? How will that decision making process be applied 100% equally to all applicants? Seeing as the gym is going to be owned by 50+ people, perhaps a vote? Sounds incredibly difficult from a logistical standpoint. If you run with Markos' suggestion, and run the place by yourself (your money, your terms), then 'your terms' will also need to be within 'your bank's terms') - they will want to know everything about your marketing plan.

In all seriousness - the idea is grand. What more could one want? But as I (and Kyle, and several others) have suggested is that we are all judged by everything that we say. When I read the original opening post here, it sounded like you were on the right path. The very next thing I did, was click on your username and check out your past posts. You've shot your mouth off quite a few times here. And retracted quite a few statements too. If you're not going to stand by what you say - then it probably was never worth saying in the first place.

I wish you all the best - but I fear that the damage is done.

ERic Maroscher from Monster Gym is a great bloke, I spent a lot of time with him recently. Thats him in the vid with the red hair and glasses.

He explained in great detail how they set up Monster Gym. They are in their 3rd premises.

Both he and his wife work as teachers during the day.

It was set up by Eric and an NFL footballer from memory. All money goes into buying new equipment.

I speak to him once a month via email, its a great set up he has, it was set up because they simply wanted a hardcore gym to train in.

They dont exclude anyone. Neither do I.

Imagine if I'd told Nick to fuck off, with his 95kg bench, 130kg squat and 150kg deadlift. He mightve been lost to the sport.

Now at 222.5/155/275 he would tell me to fuck off.

PTC began with nothing but Novices. I wouldnt have it any other way

yea no kidding.... i know plenty of mates who would be interested in starting in powerlifting.. they dont even go to the gym, yet they see some of the strongman stuff and go i wish i could do that...

might have to start spreading the word around...

well here is an update.

got the insurance quote for the gym.

will need to supervise a lot of people we do not know and could injure themselves.. any familiar lifters will have more leniency.. apparently is all to do with risk and exposure to potential law suits.

have a venue in mind as well

Henley Beach Lease - Commercial Real Estate ID 469416

drawing up the business plans now..

have budgeted for 35,000 worth of equipment

have to visit the bank and see the council... or visit the council and see the bank.

and we will more than likely need at least 20 people confirmed to sign up to help the process along with the bank and all... any less and it could be hit and miss with the application..

for everyone out their. do you believe 35,000 is enough in terms of equipment? I plan on having a squat rack, stands, prowler, sled, platforms, dumbells and kettlebells.. i already have a keg and tractor tyres at mine... maybe a log too and some farmers handles? obviously need a lot of 3 or 4 bars and some bumpers!

or is the question what is the minimum i will need to have budgeted for equipment?

Last edited: