• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time to create a proper strength gym in adelaide.

yea, that makes sense.... i just saw a bit of the same at World's and left that place for a reason.... i guess when you see some things that remind you of issues that piss you off, you get annoyed. Is this Ben?

if you wanted to use the bar you should have asked, if you didnt want to use it then what the owner does with that bar really shouldnt bother you... and if it really does annoy you that much maybe put the fortus membership into investing in your shed/warehouse where you can do what you like, im sure they will have no problem letting you go if thats the case

well if it was the owner i was looking at, then ill gladly hand in my membership.. i thought ben was the owner though... older guy...

this lifter would have been 25 tops... its not that i wanted to use it... its the simple fact ive been to so many gyms where the bars are simply fucked because of carelessness.

In all honesty, I thing one or two people need to do the research and if it seems feasible, lay down the money, take the calculated risk and invest in setting up the gym, and charge flat memberships.
Having 50 guys putting in funds can get very messy, and there are always excuses as to why some people can't come up with the money on time, which will delay your plans.

This is spot on.

I've gone down this road of establishing a training facility that I would want to train in.

I wanted no one else involved, ever.

My gym, my money, my rules.

Having all those others chip in money, all you end up with is 100 people with different ideals.

Go it alone, it takes longer, no frustration in the long run.

Just dont try and get too big too soon. Invest profits into equipment

I, like Adrian, can see a million problems with your initial idea.

I had people wanting to invest. I wasnt interested.

well if it was the owner i was looking at, then ill gladly hand in my membership.. i thought ben was the owner though... older guy...

this lifter would have been 25 tops... its not that i wanted to use it... its the simple fact ive been to so many gyms where the bars are simply fucked because of carelessness.

and i still cant see how 45kg left for 10min is going to ruin an eleiko PL bar
its a pretty bizarre thing to be hooked on and ranting about if you ask me

if its the general vibe that doesnt suit you then by all means move on... but ifits all over 45kg left on a bar you dont own and didnt want to use, by a guy who has benched 160+ in the past (nearly double bodyweight at the time for him - and hence giving him instant access to your proposed elite lifting gym) then im a bit lost where you are coming from

i like legal attorneys posts, coz you can go back 10 min later and they have all been edited to include a whole bunch of new generalizations and strange new conclusions on others experience that he has never met

dont fancy his chances dealing with 49 other partners in such a large scale venture, but i wish him luck

ok so ive gotten to the bottom of who exactly the mystery 45kg bencher was, he is a close friend of all of the owners, and a housemate to one of them, who had just finsihed a 14 hour shift in a hospital, and is recovering from a serious pec tear and dislocated shoulder - hence him not busting his ass as hard as some would have liked, not makin excuses... just sayin...

and he was using the comp spec bench because the other bench was being used at the time, he is also not what i would describe as a 'hardcore' lifter, he isnt really hardcore in any way shape or fashion, and will never get close to your target lifts and probably has no desire ever to, but he is a nice guy who one day may have to perform an MRI on you or I - and has every right to use whatever piece of equipment in the gym he is a member of as much as anyone else

i believed you were referring to one of the owners who was closing the gym that night, which it wasnt, so my mistake and apologies for that

Legal attorney should know that not much will get achieved by ranting about things semi-anonymously on the internet, most gym owners are happy to hear feedback and actually want to give their customers what they want - finances permitting - but if you walk into a place on your first day then dash back to your computer to rant about all the things wrong with it then not a hell of a lot of positive change is going to be achieved and it will probably just rub people the wrong way

Last edited:
ok so ive gotten to the bottom of who exactly the mystery 45kg bencher was, he is a close friend of all of the owners, and a housemate to one of them, who had just finsihed a 14 hour shift in a hospital, and is recovering from a serious pec tear and dislocated shoulder - hence him not busting his ass as hard as some would have liked, not makin excuses... just sayin...

and he was using the comp spec bench because the other bench was being used at the time, he is also not what i would describe as a 'hardcore' lifter, he isnt really hardcore in any way shape or fashion, and will never get close to your target lifts and probably has no desire ever to, but he is a nice guy who one day may have to perform an MRI on you or I - and has every right to use whatever piece of equipment in the gym he is a member of as much as anyone else

i believed you were referring to one of the owners who was closing the gym that night, which it wasnt, so my mistake and apologies for that

Legal attorney should know that not much will get achieved by ranting about things semi-anonymously on the internet, most gym owners are happy to hear feedback and actually want to give their customers what they want - finances permitting - but if you walk into a place on your first day then dash back to your computer to rant about all the things wrong with it then not a hell of a lot of positive change is going to be achieved and it will probably just rub people the wrong way

You are very spot on.
To be honest it doesn't matter if the guy had 1kg on the bar, he paid his money and he has every right to use anything there.

James,
Just forget about things, just train hard and control things you can control. Life is easier and less frustrating that way;)

I think what he is trying to say is:

SHUTUP AND SQUAT! :D

PS. It would be awesome to have a gym like the one you are describing. I am no where near any of the lifts you have mentioned, though i could assure you i am more determined then most when it comes to my training.

If you could get something like this off the ground i would say byebye to my World Gym membership very quickly.

Unless of course the gym is miles away from the city.

and i still cant see how 45kg left for 10min is going to ruin an eleiko PL bar
its a pretty bizarre thing to be hooked on and ranting about if you ask me

if its the general vibe that doesnt suit you then by all means move on... but ifits all over 45kg left on a bar you dont own and didnt want to use, by a guy who has benched 160+ in the past (nearly double bodyweight at the time for him - and hence giving him instant access to your proposed elite lifting gym) then im a bit lost where you are coming from

look mate, in hindsight i probably shouldn't have opened my mouth.. i have no issues with telling him exactly what i think either... if he was injured he should just stay at home and rest.

all i saw was a new gym to me that provided a lot of strongman gear, an environment where everybody wanted the same thing, to get stronger..

i saw a dude yesterday curling for the whole session i believe...

to me it is frustrating, because the amount of crap i got given at the other gym in town for this and that and busting my arse, i thought it would be a given in this gym considering the amount of powerlifters there etc...

and yes, when i saw your mate on the bench it annoyed the fuck out of me because it reminded me of the clientel at the other gym... and maybe yes, i did jump the gun a bit and ranted on the computer, but there have been plenty of times this year i thought the only decent place to train for me would be an hour away at a private gym, and have considered dropping training altogether because of financial issues. And at that gym, everyone is so supportive and all go hard as they possibly can (you can tell). So i guess i came into the illusion it was similar to this, and when i saw something that didn't fit the picture i snapped.

I realise it is a public gym, and there will be people there that may train with hardly any effort at all... like andrew said, ill eventually learn to control the things i can control and forget the rest, but it will be very hard to learn as i am so arrogant... and stubborn...

all good, no hard feelings, I can understand your frustration in some ways
its pretty obvious to us that this wont work out for either party, and we dont wish to take money from someone who isnt happy with the enviroment and surroundings on offer.

we will write the other nights session off as a complementary, your direct debit hasnt been processed. we are happy to post out the original and duplicate of the form or can leave it here for you to pick up if you like.

best of luck in the future