• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner Diet pick out faults

tudorsi

Hey all I have just started lifting, but realised i need to gain some weight, i am 67kg,180cm tall and 16years old, below i have posted up the diet that I have just started as per yesterday, it is mostly taken from the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, feel free to pick out any faults and help :) cheers Simon

Breakfast:
Even day:
3eggs
1/4L of milk
3 slices of bread buttered
2 apples

Odd day:
1 bowl of porridge
1/4L of milk
2 slices of French toast
2 apples

Lunch:
Cheese and crackers X10
1/4L milk
1 apple
1 orange
half bag of peanuts(chocolate coated)
1 500ml can of Monster energy drink

Dinner:
2 t-bone steaks
1/4L milk
can of coke
2 Kanga Sausages in bread

Thats it so far, I have only being doing it one day so far, but am happy to change anything on it, so please help :) cheers

I'm not a diet expert but can help with some of the basics.

Better off going for more small meals a day, and no need to have even/odd day food split eat whichever you prefer at the time.

Eggs great, milk great, apples good (forget what these have nutritionally, but good stuff).

Chocolate coated peanuts, thats fine, as you'd go crazy without some sugar. avoid the coke, full of crap and defiantly a big no to the energy drink, that stuff is horrible (i can't drink the stuff taste wise).

If your after a energy hit before work out, pretty sure bananas are the recommended food. For your bread, ideally you want it to me whole meal or multi grain. Before bed (an hour or so before) try bread/toast and peanut butter, peanut butter has slow release proteins, so its good for over night.

Since your 16, i assume no bought protein shakes?

Hope that was of help, someone with a bit more knowledge might go more in depth.

I'm happy to try help you with any more questions if you have any.

Take out energy drinks and coke. Change cheese and crackers to some rice or pasta. Have some tuna and chicken in lunch.

that looks pretty awful IMO

coke and energy drinks should not be part of any diet.

keep it simple, have 6-7 meals a day, smallish meals if you don't want to gain that much, bigger meals if you want to gain more.

meats and veg in each meal. fruit inbetween meals, or with meals as well.

lots of milk if you want to gain weight.

no need to be too scientific about if you want to gain weight. just eat and eat, if you aren't gaining, eat more, if you are gaining too much fat (unlikely at your age), then eat less

where are the vegies?

dinner 2 steaks and 2 kanga snags... aahhh, did you not listen to your mother? eat your greens, they are good for you, they keep you healthy... As others have said, more coke and energy drinks than greens? NO NO NO !! BAD

where are the vegies?

dinner 2 steaks and 2 kanga snags... aahhh, did you not listen to your mother? eat your greens, they are good for you, they keep you healthy... As others have said, more coke and energy drinks than greens? NO NO NO !! BAD

yeah sorry this was a quick mockup and i did not put a lot of information(rough draft) but have been working on a final copy, which i can reasure all of you the drinks have been gone, and there are vegies

6 meals does have a benefit. I dunno what your on about.

If I find them again I will post them but I have read a few studies which show no significant difference between 6 or 3 meals a day.

it just comes down to the person. If they want to eat 6 or 3 or whatever number of meals it's not going to make stuff all difference compared to the total food you eat for the day.

If I find them again I will post them but I have read a few studies which show no significant difference between 6 or 3 meals a day.

it just comes down to the person. If they want to eat 6 or 3 or whatever number of meals it's not going to make stuff all difference compared to the total food you eat for the day.

Yeah as long as you get the calories in you're fine. Even if its 1 huge meal.

But as you said it comes down to the person, i find it easier have 5 meals a day.

You don't think instead of having 6 smaller meals 1 large meal is going to be better? Your not going to be able to eat as much in one meal as six smaller ones. And less of an insulin response. Those are benefits just off the top of my head.

You don't think instead of having 6 smaller meals 1 large meal is going to be better? Your not going to be able to eat as much in one meal as six smaller ones. And less of an insulin response. Those are benefits just off the top of my head.

Like I said it will come down to total food you have for the day not number of meals.

That logic seems pretty similar to having maccas all day. It doesnt matter as long as the total food for the day is fine.

That logic seems pretty similar to having maccas all day. It doesnt matter as long as the total food for the day is fine.

I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Comparing 3500 calories of a McDonalds diet to a relatively clean diet is not the same as eating 3500 calories of the same food in either 3 or 6 meals throughout the day.

If you ate 6 big macs a day as your total diet, why would it matter if you ate 1 evenly spaced throughout the day 6 times, or 3 in the morning and 3 at night?

This has been done so many times before and as far as I can see, all (or at least a high percentage) have agreed that at the end of the day, it's the total calories consumed that counts.
However, they will admit that it's easier more satisfying, or more convenient to eat more small meals.
But, some can have the view that less, larger meals is easier and more convenient, and even more satisfying.

I have no idea what you meant with this sentence.

Gareer, you are wrong.

Here's a few articles explaining that you are wrong.

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

6 Meals A Day: Stoke The Metabolic Fire

Excerpt from my upcoming book | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

All of these articles look at studies. If you want to prove that meal frequency does matter, please post either studies or articles which references studies.

The total calories at the end of the day is what matters.

Me personally, when I'm gaining mass I eat 6 meals a day, because that way it's easier to fit all the calories. But when I'm trying to lose fat, I eat 3 meals a day. eating 6 meals a day when I'm only getting 2000 calories per day would mean each meal would be liek 350 calories. And that is personally way less satisfying than each meal being 700 calories.

Yep, big fan of Tom Venuto, bro. Lyle makes a lot of scientific sense, even if he comes across as a little snide. I prefer Tom's style.

I used to eat 6-8 meals a day (10 years ago) but for the last 6, it's generally been 3-4 meals. No difference in my training or physique.

I don't really like Tom Venuto as much as Lyle and friends, especially because of the way his products are marketed, for example, BTFFTM: Fat Loss Diet| Fat Burning Foods | Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle By Tom Venuto

I would never buy a product from a page like that which looks exactly the same as any other BS product that any other idiot is trying to sell. (Although, in Tom's case, the product isn't too bad). But still, it's marketed as if he reveals some amazing secrets... which he really doesn't.

I don't really like Tom Venuto as much as Lyle and friends, especially because of the way his products are marketed, for example, BTFFTM: Fat Loss Diet| Fat Burning Foods | Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle By Tom Venuto

I would never buy a product from a page like that which looks exactly the same as any other BS product that any other idiot is trying to sell. (Although, in Tom's case, the product isn't too bad). But still, it's marketed as if he reveals some amazing secrets... which he really doesn't.

Yeah, at an initial glance, neither would I. I particularly dislike the sales-esque 'oh you clicked to leave, are you sure you want to' pop up boxes. Pisses me off.

In fact, I wrote Tom right off as another gimmick pimping more unsubstantiated shit (as you usually see in the fitness industry) until I read his first eBook. Which wasn't that bad at all. His latest book is much better. Nothing ground breaking, the majority is obvious, but the obvious isn't so obvious to the uneducated.

They'd much rather hope the answer lies within 'Body Slim Shakes' or the amazing fat burning Acai berry.