• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

skinny fat: not sure what i should do

big_t

did a search and couldnt find anything

unfortunately im skinny fat and not sure if i should be bulking or cutting

im approx 175cm and range from 66-68kg (31yrs) and carry most of my fat on my chest and stomach :(

im new to all this so ill post some measurements if that helps

these are about 2hrs after a workout

not flexed flexed
bi: 29cm 33cm

chest: 92cm 98cm

stomach: 92cm

quad: 45cm 45cm

calf: 34cm 35cm

all help is appreciated :)

Why do you have to do anything at all?

Think you're gonna have to figure out for youself what you want first, then you may know or ask others what you should do.

Personally, I don't think you have to bulk or cut.
Are you already on a good diet and consistent training program?
If so, your body will recompose over time.
Adjust calories to suit.

Yeh I agree with above.

Get into a beginners program by PTC or starting strength, progressively add weight and eat lean meats, fruit, veggies, nuts. At that height and weight I'd say to build some muscle first, recompose your body. And then think about doing a "cut".

Most people are skinny fat because they lack the muscle mass for the subcutaneous fat to stretch over.

I'd pick any one of those beginner programs (I have a preference for Markos' when it comes to weight loss) and watch your diet - at 30 I'd be very cautious of any kind of 'bulk' but for now clean out all the junk/processed foods/alcohol and shoot for 1g of protein per pound of BW a day from meat/dairy. See where you end up.

thanks for all the replies :)

so eat clean and train hard/consistently and the body should recompose over time

should i be aiming at a certain amount of calories (if so how many)?

or should i just eat lots (but clean)

If you have never done diet/weight training before just stick to the basics for a year.

Lift heavy, do some conditioning if you want to (walking, sprints, kettlebells) and eat 5 meals a day all consisting of protein and vegetables. Keep the carbs for post workout.

thanks for all the replies :)

so eat clean and train hard/consistently and the body should recompose over time

should i be aiming at a certain amount of calories (if so how many)?

or should i just eat lots (but clean)

Pick a target bodyweight (200lb @ 10% is a good figure for your height)

Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Maintenance
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1.5 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Weight gain
Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 2 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Adjust those figures up and down as you see fit.

Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Maintenance
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1.5 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Weight gain
Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 2 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Consistency first, math later. Exercise and clean food will see him looking 10x better in 6 months.

Consistency first, math later. Exercise and clean food will see him looking 10x better in 6 months.

I know. But when someone asks you how many calories you cant help but tip them off. Its serious dedication.

Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Maintenance
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 1.5 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

Weight gain
Fat loss
Protein = 1 x TB
Carbs = 2 x TB
Fat = 0.5 x TB

thanks oliver04

does TB stand for total body weight?

when doing those calculations does it end up in grams
eg protein: 1 X 68kg = 68gram of protein

i have also seen the 2200 and 3200 diets (i like the detail)
would any of those diet plans be suitable or are those for people that have been strength training for a while?

it's 1g for every lb.

So in that example it'd be 136g protein.

A good diet is suitable to everyone. Just adjust serving sizes (and therefore total calories) depending on your needs

should i be aiming to consume a certain amount of calories per day?

i am aware of calorie surplus/deficit but unsure of how many calories i should be consuming per day

Everyone's daily calorie requirement is different

eg it's impossible for us to tell you.

Pick a number and roll with it for a while. Eat more or less or same depending on whether you're getting where you want to be.
In your case it's simply - if you don't put any weight on, eat more, and keep eating more til you do

thanks for the replies hamburgler

this part im having difficulty with... i know my cals should be more than for eg 1000 per day and less than 5000 per day

i just dont know to work out a beginning cal value to start with

do u think the 2200 cal diet would be a good place to start

I was going to say 3000. Kinda depends how much you're eating atm
There's a site (also an iPhone app) called my fitness journal that allows you to track calories. Maybe try that to get a ballpark of where you are now (you'll have to sign up to use it) to help you pick a starting number.
I think im probably a little different to most 70kg guys but I regularly top 5000 calories (think the most in one day was something like 7500) and average around 3500-4000 just to maintain weight
I had my basal metablolic rate (how many calories you use each day to breath and keep your organs going) measure a while ago and that alone was 2000cal - not including how much I go through at work, in the gym, and probably a little compensation for not sleeping as much as I'd like

thanks heaps hamburgler for all the advice

ill give my fitness journal a go and see what i come up with

btw 5000 cals...... i would hate to pay ur food bill for the week lol, u must be a beast :)

Hamburgler has the right idea. As he mentioned you can figure out your BMR, and then substitute in your activity level which will give you a rough idea on your daily calorie needs. Do a quick google search for BMR and 'Harris benedict forumla' (which is just the figures for your activity level). Anyways these are just approximations, you're better off experimenting and getting to know your body yourself, as stated above. Good luck :]