• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trap bar for deadlifts

DKD

Private Dancer
I'm thinking of starting trap bar deadlifts in place of regular dl.

I've been told that my poor flexibility inhibits me on regular dl. I started reading something about how the trap bar is better for people in that situation, so I thought it may be better to use that than stuff around for months trying to correct my form and flexibility.

I don't have any PL ambitions or to get my deadlift 1RM up to x level. I prefer to train in ways that minimise the risk of injury. I've been getting increasing niggling injuries in the last few months and don't need any more that's for sure.

What do you guys think of this piece of equipment for:

1. Deadlifts....still work the back well? What muscles get hit?
  2. Shrugs...would assume it would work pretty well?
  3. Farmer's Walk....read something online about how you could use it for FW...anyone tried this? I've never done this exercise before so thought I might check it out.

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.

Hex Shrug Deadlift Barbell

Anyone have any experience with it and can comment?

Last edited:
  3. Farmer's Walk....read something online about how you could use it for FW...anyone tried this? I've never done this exercise before so thought I might check it out.
I did trap bar only for most of my training, Only started barbell DL again few weeks back.

I find the trap bar DL hits the upper back and traps real good, Lower back and hammies get hit a lot harder with the conventional bb DL.

Silverback would be the man with the most experience with the trap bar i believe. So his comments would hold more weight ;)

Last edited:
I find the trap bar DL hits the upper back and traps real good, Lower back and hammies get hit a lot harder with the conventional bb DL.

Hmmmm, this comment makes me want to rethink this plan. I find I can hit my upper back fairly well with just pullups, so I'm not really after the trap bar for the upper back. I was still hoping to get a good lower back workout with it, but now I'm thinking maybe stick with the conventional deadlift.

It would be useful for shrugs though. I don't do them too often but when I do its usually with dumbbells. Tried shrugs with oly bar a few times and found it irritating having the bar brush up against my pecker lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

There's a trap bar on eBay for $59 brand new, it's the same as the one I have and I've had 195kg on it no problems. Can be used with standard or oly plates, but doesn't have the raised handles.
If I were you I'd give that a shot, then if you don't like it you've only lost $60

The one I'm after is $199 but I agree, definitely wouldn't get it just for shrugs. If it doesn't do a good job of hitting the lower back then I'm not getting it.

EDIT: Just saw your post vegas, thanks I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Squat, BB deads, stiff leg deads, good mornings, hyper extensions, reverse hypers, swing/pull throughs
There's enough exercises you can do with a BB (or less) for your lower back to not worry about a trap bar

There's a trap bar on eBay for $59 brand new, it's the same as the one I have and I've had 195kg on it no problems. Can be used with standard or oly plates, but doesn't have the raised handles.
If I were you I'd give that a shot, then if you don't like it you've only lost $60

Are you sure - $59?
Do you have a link please?

That's a fair call hamburglar, thanks for giving me something to think over. I don't even know what a swing/pull through is....is that a kettlebell swung through the legs, alternating hand grips?

BTW is that GSP in your avatar? You an MMA fan?

Yeah basically. Can be done with a DB, low pulley cable or KB, and either single hand or double hand

Yeah GSP ;)
Got tickets to UFC in Sydney so flying up for the w/end with a few guys I know through BJJ

You lucky bastard :eek:

You must be a member of the UFC Fight Club, those tickets move quicker than a ninja in the dark. The first i heard of them being on sale was the day after they sold out in 30 minutes. :mad::mad:

You lucky bastard :eek:

You must be a member of the UFC Fight Club, those tickets move quicker than a ninja in the dark. The first i heard of them being on sale was the day after they sold out in 30 minutes. :mad::mad:

One of the other guys got em pre-sale

Dunno how though cos I dont think he's a member. He did tell me how but I've forgotten in my excitement :p

31b4ed3d-4fc1-3b72.jpg

Same as this, comes with oly sleeves

Squat, BB deads, stiff leg deads, good mornings, hyper extensions, reverse hypers, swing/pull throughs
There's enough exercises you can do with a BB (or less) for your lower back to not worry about a trap bar

x2

The way to get good at a lift (deadlifting) is to do it over and over again. If you look at the methods of Russian trainees (now the best in powerlifting) they never do anything apart from deadlift but they can accumulate thousands of reps over the space of a month.

I'm thinking of starting trap bar deadlifts in place of regular dl.

I've been told that my poor flexibility inhibits me on regular dl. I started reading something about how the trap bar is better for people in that situation, so I thought it may be better to use that than stuff around for months trying to correct my form and flexibility.

I don't have any PL ambitions or to get my deadlift 1RM up to x level. I prefer to train in ways that minimise the risk of injury. I've been getting increasing niggling injuries in the last few months and don't need any more that's for sure.

What do you guys think of this piece of equipment for:

This is the one I'm thinking of getting.

Hex Shrug Deadlift Barbell

Anyone have any experience with it and can comment?
I got my trap bar through gymandfitness and it's specs are exactly the same as the one u posted. The only difference is that mine is 23.4kg not 27kg. It's great.

1. Great for DLs. Still hit the back. I do feel it a little more in the quads over a BB DL though.
2. Yep.
3. Never used mine for FW. But I will from now on. I never considered using it, but it makes perfect sense and will save me from making FW bars.

Only minor thing I don't like about it is the grips. They're too skinny. 25mm diameter which is more like a womens bar. It really digs into ur hands when pulling heavy.

DKD,

The trap bar is a good compound moment that will make you stronger and bigger than most fluffy movements. It still works your lower back.

I don't think you even need to do shrugs with it unless your at an advance level as i have found pulling heavy with the trap bar does the job with hitting and building your traps.

Thanks Shane. Can you comment on the quality of your trap bar. Did you have the one I posted, the one on ebay that vegas posted or something else? That one on ebay seems interesting $59 plus $33 postage seems like a good deal as long as it's decent quality (which vegas says it is).

Just checked out your journal Shane and saw a couple of vids of the trap bar in action.....looks good. Nice work btw, liked your progress in your latter pics compared to the pics in the earlier pages. You built some good muscle.