• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What is your favourite football code and why?

rd78

First off, I apologise if a thread like this has been created before.

As a player of Gridiron, I love the sport.
I am often dragged into conversations about which is the premier code of football. Quite often this sort of conversation quickly becomes "gridiron sucks compared to ____ because of this, this and this". These people often have very strong opinions considering they have little to no idea of how American Football actually works.

I am not trying to start a fight by any means. I enjoy watching just about every code of football. Infact apart from Rugby League I have, at some point in time, played every code of football that I can think of.

So the questions I want to ask are; What is your favourite code of football? Why is it your favourite code of football?

Please keep this civil. No need to turn this ugly.

Football, I dont like girly boys wearing pads. Often I hear that Gridiron guys hit harder.

Take the helmets and pads off and lets see how hard they hit then.

I also like the aerobic factor of football.

The flow of the game is better as Gridiron and Rugby League is a stop/start game.

I dont think Gridiron actually rates as football because very few of the players actually touch the ball, most of the players block, chase and tackle.

At least in Football, rugby and soccer, every player touches the ball.

Gridiron should be in a separate class, its like a collision sport of its own. In fact, if the sport is played correctly, the only people that should touch the ball is a QB, a couple of running backs and a couple of recievers, and an Aussie kicker lol

Merry Xmas big fella, see you soon

Rugby union - hardest/toughest sport in the world, no bullshit with it, the players and ppl within it are not dickheads who always seem to be in trouble....its just a good honest sport - prob one of the few left within the world where money has not ruined it.

Could write a whole heap more stuff but cant be bothered lol

Often I hear that Gridiron guys hit harder.

Take the helmets and pads off and lets see how hard they hit then.

They used to play without them. Many people died because of it. To the point where it was almost ruled as illegal by the US Government.

People died from playing gridiron??? - I wanna read about this - thats insane lol post a link.

People died from playing gridiron??? - I wanna read about this - thats insane lol post a link.

From the below link:
Within a decade, concern over the increasing brutality of the game led to its ban by some colleges. Nearly one hundred eighty players had suffered serious injuries, and eighteen deaths had been reported from the brutal mass plays that had become common in practice. In nineteen hundred five, President Theodore Roosevelt called upon Harvard, Princeton, and Yale to help save the sport from demise.
Read here:
American football history

Union is a good sport but it's soft compared to league.

The pace of NFL is a bit slow for me otherwise i like it.
[YOUTUBE]8WwE3ZintN8[/YOUTUBE]

See, footballers are tougher, they dont die from crashing into people lol

In order

Football
Rugby Union
Rugby league
Soccer (only EPL)
Gaelic Football
Gridiron
Any other Soccer league

Union is a good sport but it's soft compared to league.

The pace of NFL is a bit slow for me otherwise i like it.
[YOUTUBE]8WwE3ZintN8[/YOUTUBE]

Are you saying that because your a league fan or you honestly believe that league is a tougher sport than union lol...if league was tougher then I would say so even being a union fan.

Rory, the deaths werent a result of no pads, it was a result of their "rough mass plays".

They only had to eliminate them, not add bitch pads

Nowhere does it state that helmets and pads were introduced to prevent deaths

I see gridiron as a huge game of chess, very tactics based more-so than most "football" codes.

In order

Football
Rugby Union
Rugby league
Soccer (only EPL)
Gaelic Football
Gridiron
Any other Soccer league

It's different though.
AFL contact is side on when utilizing a hip and shoulder and I would argue that the majority of modern day AFL's tacklins has a lot more to do with the arms and a "suplex"-esque motion.
American football involves guys weighing around 110kg (NFL Linebacker) throwing themselves front on at full speed into another 100-120kg-ish size guy (NFL Full back).
If an AFL player attempted this kind of hit they'd be lucky to escape without at the least a concussion if not sever neck/spine injuries.

My list in order;
Gridiron (American or Canadian)
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Gaelic Football
Soccer
AFL

I think the 2 rugby codes are by far the toughest of all.

I think football is easily the best football code in the world. It takes a little from every code, toughness, skill, speed, aerobic capacity.

In order

Football
Rugby Union
Rugby league
Soccer (only EPL)
Gaelic Football
Gridiron
Any other Soccer league

is football .. footy AFL ?

I played League for many years, and I must say I really enjoy the AFL now, while I still love my League and Union to some degree, AFL is a very 'ALL ROUND' sport. IMO the 2 things that hold AFL back, is the Referring style, it is very opinion based and can easily change the flow of the game and ruling are either to soft or too harsh.. a.k.a the push in the back rule and when a team scores a goal, they should retain possession of the ball like in League - they score a goal and have to go to the bounce and loose their momentum..

bring on Winter sport in summer I say !

Last edited:
Are you saying that because your a league fan or you honestly believe that league is a tougher sport than union lol...if league was tougher then I would say so even being a union fan.
There is nothing wrong with being a softer game.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Rugby union - hardest/toughest sport in the world, no bullshit with it, the players and ppl within it are not dickheads who always seem to be in trouble....its just a good honest sport - prob one of the few left within the world where money has not ruined it.

Could write a whole heap more stuff but cant be bothered lol

This x 100.

Chuck a gridiron guy in a game of AFL and he wouldnt touch the footy, he'd wince when someone approached him due to not wearing a helmet and pads.

He'd also pass out with all the running.

I'm only shit stirring Rory

I'm a sports lover.

I actually think Vick's is the best athlete playing football at the moment anywhere in the world