• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you count calories/macronutrients etc?

They did, but people also went out and made friends and discussed this sort of stuff in person before the internet as well.... just cause its convenient and easier doesnt mean we should ignore the methods available to us now. it would have taken a lot more mental calculation and time to be accurate before kitchen scales, now its as easy as a simple weigh up, its dead accurate no need to think hard about it at all, just know what you need and scale it done.

Again:

Carbs = 1 x target LBM

Pick up the chicken breast, put it on the scale, read that it weighs 250g.

God guys, I can see why calorie counting isnt worth it, its just so fucking hard!

If you eat more calories than you expend you will gain weight, if you eat less you will get hungry.

I don't subscribed this in vs out stuff.

For the very overweight, smaller portions will make changes and to always stay a little hungry Is the ticket.

But at the end of the day, the idea is to keep the goal, the goal.

Training is not not a beginning, middle and end...we need to make continuos improvement, with adjustments and variations.

As noobs is suggesting...get to know your body you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Some can go through life eating what they like, for those that cannot it will take a little longer and will need to work harder.
A person with years of programmed overfeeding ?
I think counting calories is a tool to reset bad eating habits and set a benchmark.

Here are some interesting points from good calorie bad calories;

Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior

Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, anymore than it causes a child to grow taller.

Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long term weight loss, it leads to hunger.

And how would you measure yourself after a week of training beyond novice stage? get on the scale and weigh 100-200g more? you realise taking a shit could put you off by 1kg right?
Theres nothing wrong with that, 100-200g for 3 months is a lot of weight to gain, I weigh myself EVERY Saturday morning, 7am, after a piss, before a shower & before food, then I record it along with my diet/cals average for the week

I did that my entire cut, while some weeks were 1kg loss, and some 100g, you look at the average over an extended period of time.

I didn't say it wasn't. I think 5kg of LBM a year is great progress, but if you're checking the scale every week/month you're not going to be able to work it out - if you so much as took a bog it would throw off any hope of calculation and thats not taking in a lot of other factors.

The only way you're going to know if your guess/check method worked is if you look at your results in 2 months, 3 months, 6 months or a year. Thats a long time to figure something out when I can get in the ball park within 2-3 minutes doing a quick calorie count.

Normally I don't count calories or micronutrients but I am this time while on cal deficit.

Counting calories isn't such a bad idea. If you're after trying to get cut, or you're someone that's got a bit of fat to shed, I suggest the best thing to do is work on ways to increase your metabolism. Some simple methods include drinking plenty of water, green tea every day, smaller meals throughout your day and avoiding carbs in the evening. Calorie counting can be difficult, particularly when you're someone that eats out on a regular basis or doesnt have access to the nutritional contents of absolutely everything they eat.

Yes, I'm counting calories now.
Results are much better and consistent.
It's so easy to lose track when you're estimating.
If diet is something you can control better by counting, then why not do it?
Of course, this all depends on ones goals.

Counting has it's place. If my bf% was lower and I was cutting, definitely. I don't have an issue with having a slightly higher bf% while trying to increase lifts and size, so I don't bother right now, just eat clean and heaps.