• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are you ready to lift?

Clearly you know nothing about cars and building them tough lol

Its only a discussion fellas, there is no right way

Certain gyms/coaches have different ideals to others on competition

Mine is different to Bodyworld and theirs is different to Apollo.

I have very few lifters that want to be strong twice a year, so I coach accordingly.

Others might chase World Championships or National/State Titles, so they coach for that.

Clearly you know nothing about cars and building them tough lol

Its only a discussion fellas, there is no right way

Certain gyms/coaches have different ideals to others on competition

Mine is different to Bodyworld and theirs is different to Apollo.

I have very few lifters that want to be strong twice a year, so I coach accordingly.

Others might chase World Championships or National/State Titles, so they coach for that.

Yeahhhh i dont....but you get my analogy though :)

Peaking your training for a comp doesn't stop you from being strong all year round.

Your own example of james pulling 202.5 at the DL comp then deciding last minute to do the novice comp and pulling 200 is a good case of what i mean.

James had already hit a PB very recently. In the last minute comp he manged slightly below it. Sure he was capable of doing it but what was the purpose?

Some would argue he would have been better off giving it a miss and making sure he is completely recovered for this weeks deadlift training.

Simply another school of thought.

You didnt read the bit about he OPENED on 200kg and ONLY took that attempt.

Could you hit 275kg tonight Nick and again next Wednesday?

Could you open on it.

Please quote the entire text big fella.

Now I know your injured, but you get my point.

Its just a discussion everyone, dont get antsy.

Ugly, I dont know the answer as there isnt one. I have my opinion, I just like to listen to others.

Have you done many comps big fella?

Nab I got that and I do see your point.

I agree withboth sides points though.

You know I love being able to pull out a big lift anywhere anytime. But I also only want to do it for a good reason. If there's no point why bother?

You didnt read the bit about he OPENED on 200kg and ONLY took that attempt.

Could you hit 275kg tonight Nick and again next Wednesday?

Could you open on it.

Please quote the entire text big fella.

Now I know your injured, but you get my point.

Its just a discussion everyone, dont get antsy.

Ugly, I dont know the answer as there isnt one. I have my opinion, I just like to listen to others.

Have you done many comps big fella?
My observation wasn't predicated on how many comps i've done, more on logic, but to answer your question I've competed in only one powerlifting comp matey. I'm a lifetime athlete and have competed in club rugby union, triathlons, been a sponsored surfer, played underwater hockey at a national level and wrestled in the mongolian national tournament. I've got a 13 year lifting history and was trained for 8 years by former Mr Australia and Mr Masters Australia Bob Hardy, who I learned a great deal from until he sadly passed on. I recently completed a degree in exercise science and i'm now working as a physical rehab consultant while I get qualified as an Exercise Physiologist. I can hit within 5% of my maxes at any time.
I'd say i'm at least somewhat qualified to discuss this topic.
Enough about me though.
In general I actually agree with your argument, but I just don't really see the point of the post - you weren't going to change your mind - you had an answer in mind already which is: most people should be able to pull off max lifts almost any time, unless they're super-elite and aiming for one or two major comps a year (in which case they should still be able to). It's pretty cut and dried.
I just don't see the point of making a redundant post that you already have a well formed opinion on. Pardon my rudeness for having to lay it out so bluntly.

Last edited:
Mate, I only asked how often you competed in an official PL comp so I could ask how your total increased or decreased, I wasnt really interested in you entire sporting history.

Other sports are irrelevant, I played football, I had to be ready every week, its not relevant to this discussion.

The thread topic is about powerlifting competition, I have a stack of lifters I need to prep for comps, thats all, and more than once or twice a year.

So your experience with that is limited, cheers for the response anyway.

Thats a mighty impressive resume though, nice work big fella.

Out of curiosity, which Fed did you lift with and what was your total. I guess it would be hard with all those other activities, or had you stopped them?

And the reason I asked the question, was because I keep hearing

"I cant lift then, I'm only up to week 6 of my cycle"

That annoys me no end. Its foreign to me.

Its not a matter of changing my mind. Its to try and understand the reasons why lifters are below par for 363 days of the year.

One can only really state an opinion on how many one has trained, otherwise you can only state an opinion based on your own experience and from what you have read.

Logic is one thing, experience is another.

And the reason I asked the question, was because I keep hearing

"I cant lift then, I'm only up to week 6 of my cycle"

That annoys me no end. Its foreign to me.

Its not a matter of changing my mind. Its to try and understand the reasons why lifters are below par for 363 days of the year.

It may not be that the lifter is "below" par, but more to the point of "well above" par.

In the case of qld states/nationals - Ill only have time to do a 1 full training cycle after a loooong lay off.
I want to put all my effort into it, and get PB's at nationals.
I could still probably do ok at states, but I want to put all my effort into my training for the big show.
For those that arent aware, their is only 1 month between state championships and nationals.

providing you have quilified you can just use states to see where you are. and hit 85-95%. also to practice in comp conditions.

Last edited:
I could, but I'd just prefer to keep training my hardest for the big day.
If the events were spaced properly, It wouldn't be an issue.

providing you have quilified you can just use states to see where you are. and hit 85-95%. also to practice in comp conditions.

Spot on, this is especially true for guys with less than 10 comps under their belt.

If I thought like that, Max wouldnt have a Gold Medal hanging over the mantle.

Because of the timing of our Nats, Amy Jackson from WPC told me Max had done enough to lift at the Worlds WITHOUT doing the Nats, 3 weeks before the Worlds.

He did both, and won, although with a 5kg lesser total.

Its about competing, not setting records.

Take the PB/Records out of powerlifting, which has literally killed the sport, and lift to beat someone.

This only became apparent to me at the Worlds, when I witnessed first hand how diluted competition had become.

I'm not having a crack at those with Records, you know we have around 76 National and 21 World records at PTC, the lifters should be proud.

I reckon there is more glory in actually competing and beating someone.

Nathan has a World Record with a 100kg squat in the 100kg Teen class.

Nina squatted 100kg in the gym today weighing 59kg.

Get my point?

i agree with you markos.

but i believe records/pbs ARE the competition at higher strength levels. Who else would compete against you if you had a deadlift easily over 300kg... and a squat higher than that?

there would be a narrow field, and in that field, it would be a selected few who live near you or compete at the same competition that could consist of your competition.

clearly though, the mindset of a powerlifter must be taken into account. the long arse gym sessions for 10+ years of constant diet, training and sleep must be amounted to some worth... and it seems to be in the form of a medal and this recurring pattern is displayed amongst athletes for centuries > olympics.

However, in saying that i applaud what you and many people like yourself are doing. Trying to get that 'competition' atmosphere back into powerlifting, where it is a competition for all and not one person who breaks a record.

We need more federations like it across Australia, where it is not nerve racking to enter your first competition and feel like you are learning as you compete, rather than enter and compete by fearing to fail. If we educated lifters on how to perform the best at comps, and project a vision whereby strong people can meet strong people and muscle mania can unite in a friendly, catered and enjoyable atmosphere for all, this would truly be a spectacular feat.