• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

my grip for deadlifts doesnt last the 8 reps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bspoc1

Doiing the PTC beginner workout and Im doing regular deadlifts, not SLDL.

I get to the 5th or 6th rep on my 2nd and third set and have to stop because of my grip. This exercise is really trashing my arms, forearms in particular.

I am doing one hand over and one hand under.

Anything im doing wrong or need to be doing?

Cheers

1. Ensure you are putting the bar dead on the ground for each rep - it's a lift dead from the ground, not touch and go. While on the ground, you can reset your grip.
  2. Get a stronger grip. Try inverted rows, chinups, farmer's walks
  3. Chalk.

Do what Kyle said, and make sure your elbows are locked, you don't want to strain any muscles in your arm during the lift. So once your arms are locked and have the weight drive with your legs.

Oh, and chalk, lots of it. :p

1. Ensure you are putting the bar dead on the ground for each rep - it's a lift dead from the ground, not touch and go. While on the ground, you can reset your grip.

will definately be doing this. I thought u werent supposed to reset ur grip. Thanks

will definately be doing this. I thought u werent supposed to reset ur grip. Thanks

The bar never will rarely land in the same place it began at the start of the lift, so your footing or the bar, along with your grip should always be readjusted if required to perform the lift properly.

The bar never will rarely land in the same place it began at the start of the lift, so your footing or the bar, along with your grip should always be readjusted if required to perform the lift properly.

I personally disagree I have never done this.. That's like racking the bar for each bench press

Train however you want, at the end of the day it doesn't concern me. The guy asked for help with his grip I gave him something to try that works for me.

You don't have to adjust if you don't need too but you should reset your lifting position as it will not be correct after the eccentric phase. That is enough time for a complete dead stop about 1-2 seconds. If your grip is out at that time then adjust then too.

So you place the bar down let go re adjust your girp have a coffe for every rep.. :rolleyes:
"Reset your grip" is not quite the same as wandering off and doing something else. You remain crouched down, you may round your back and then reset it in full lumbar and thoracic extension, your hands remain on the bar but you shift them a bit.

I have no objection to people shifting their hands or back or the bar a bit at the top of a squat or bench, or bottom of the overhead press, either. Not many people will go through an entire rep and have an absolutely perfect setup for the next rep like you obviously do, n00bs.

Be it bench, squat or deadlift, take your time to make sure your setup is as perfect as possible before commencing the next rep. There's no point in rushing. If you want to be fast, do the actual lift faster, not rush the setup.

With the grip issue, are you using chalk? If I don't use chalk, because I have sweaty hands while exercising, I'd struggle with holding on to even 100kg tightly when it gets to around 8 reps.

Put the bar down, go make a cuP of tea pick it back up.

If that doesn't work, have bex and lay down for a while.

Be it bench, squat or deadlift, take your time to make sure your setup is as perfect as possible before commencing the next rep. There's no point in rushing. If you want to be fast, do the actual lift faster, not rush the setup.

With the grip issue, are you using chalk? If I don't use chalk, because I have sweaty hands while exercising, I'd struggle with holding on to even 100kg tightly when it gets to around 8 reps.

+1

Also I generally avoid high rep deadlifts on anything heavy, I just don't see the benefit. I generally vary between 1 and 5 but will occasionally do higher reps.

How about lifting straps? I know they're a bit soft, but I know when I was in my prime I had to go to the straps to do back work as my grip strength didn't cut it.

This thread should have been done and dusted by the second post, Kyle covered everything. He is deadlifting 70kg ffs, I dont think he needs anything more than chalk, right technique and lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.