• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Bench Chart

I believe that in the Australian IPF 75kg class menns open class, the bench press record is 180kg. This was with the assistance of a bench press shirt, which from what i am led to believe, provides an additional 10-20% carryover on one's "raw" bench press.

Record is correct, but that record will now stand for all time, as the new weight divisions have come in.

There's no fixed percentage a bench shirt gives you. Some people get less than 5% carryover. Some get as much as 40%. It depends on the shirt, depends on the lifter's skill, depends on limb lengths etc. Long armed lifters don't seem to get as much assistance, as the triceps sticking point covers longer range of motion. The shirt doesn't help you much with that.

The other thing you need to consider is that comp bench presses are pauses at the chest, no butt raising, no feet lifting, no head lifting, no belly benching.

A paused press is on average about 5-10% less than your touch and go.

105Kg @ 86Kg - I actually webcam recorded it, just in case it ended in tears (no spotter)

Record is correct, but that record will now stand for all time, as the new weight divisions have come in.

There's no fixed percentage a bench shirt gives you. Some people get less than 5% carryover. Some get as much as 40%. It depends on the shirt, depends on the lifter's skill, depends on limb lengths etc. Long armed lifters don't seem to get as much assistance, as the triceps sticking point covers longer range of motion. The shirt doesn't help you much with that.

The other thing you need to consider is that comp bench presses are pauses at the chest, no butt raising, no feet lifting, no head lifting, no belly benching.

A paused press is on average about 5-10% less than your touch and go.
Daiki,
Sounds like you got to get yrself to a PA comp, where do u train now?

Currently living and working in Qld and I continue to train at home.
It would be fantastic to train with a group of other lifters, but where i live, the guys have other interests.

I am interested in competing again, but there are several reasons why I would not compete in PA. This is largely due to the restrictions placed on where a lifter can compete. I am fully aware of the history involved in this, but believe that as long as the lifter is prepared to accept the ASADA program, including the out-of-training testing, then he/she should be allowed to lift where ever they chose. This is similiar to what occurs in the US.

I have friends in all the Powerlifting federations in Australia and it would be great to lift and compete with those guys. But due to PA requirements, this is not possibile and it is such a shame.

Lets not go there in this thread;)

Daiki, surely you can get to a major city easy enough??

Train at home, but make the effort to travel to a comp, hell even for me its a flight or 7 hour drive to compete in a CAPO OR PA event.

Trofius, I live and work in a remote mining town.
The expenses involved to travelling to compete, accomondation, time, etc make it difficult to justify competing.

I used to do it when I was younger, but with a wife and family, it makes it much more difficult. So I continue to train at home and have fun training in the shed.