• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Decrease in Bp and how to self spot?

CoMarsh

My bench press has decrease by 17.5 kg, which is pretty shit. All of my other exercises has its weight increased. Except for bench press, I was benching 77.5 kg for 8 reps and 3 sets, now I am having a hard time doing 70 kg and its tiring even to do 60 kg. I have increased my calories by 500. Btw how do you guys self spot for bench press, I seem to be able to only hit 5 reps for 70 kg and 10 reps for 60 kg.

Ive dumped a 100kg barbell bench press before, made alot of noise and made everyone at the gym stare

basically dont put collars on and if you fail, lower the bar on your chest and tip the bar to one side so the plates fall off then throw it away to your other side

or you can use the power rack and set the pins to the right height to catch the bar, then crawl out from underneith

Sounds odd to me? Are you over training? like are you doing shoulders same day, or day before and they can't get power becasue your recovering? Need more info man,.

I suppose make sure your nice and balenced when your lifting..

Self Spot use a cage, saved me a few times when I had my own studio.

I have a cage, my chest is just at that point that it is higher than the spot bar, so put it up again..sadly this decreases my R.O.M. doing the strength basic exercise here from Markos. 3 times a week.

the spot bar is supposed to be below chest level... When I get stuck and leave it on the spot bars, the bar touches my throat..
then I just slide my head to the side a little and off the bench, and roll the bar back over my head and get up..
did this twice on Tuesday morning.. lol

I found this with my cage too, the holes for the spot bars weren't exactly where I needed them. I guess our bodies are all different shapes and sizes.

I solved the problem by putting 2 bits of plywood under my bench, it raises it to the level where the spot bars are perfect. Now I get full ROM and the weight will be caught if I drop it. Maybe this will help you too?

Dump the bar forward over your stomach or back past your head if your chest is in the way. Make sure you practice this before you have to try it for real though.:eek:

When you set the safeties in competition, you set them so they prevent the bar hitting your head if you turn your face to the side - you can't really set them at chest height, or the bar will just hit the safeties.

Reality is, if you're needing to fail often, then at this stage of your training, the weight or the programming is probably not appropriate. Regularly lifting to failure would certainly explain why your strength is going backwards.

How about not failing?

Remove the safety net, you'll soon find your missing a lot less reps.

as to why your weaker, you would need to post up a stack of info or have someone watch you train, the internet is not the place to fix this

How to self spot:
1. Fail.
2. Dump bar onto chest or stomach and roll to hips.
3. Sit up and roll bar over thighs and push off knees.
4. Check if anybody else saw your epic fail.
5. Unload bar and rerack.

I've been using this tried and true method for nearly 15 years.

^^^ same

it's the most intense painful deep tissue massage ever, i bench after squat day, the sheer fear of rolling the bar over legs riddled with DOMS prevents failure.

1. Never train to fail, but you want to get as close to fail as possible.

2. You dont want to miss a lift.

3. Failing every work out is bad and you will go no where fast.

Ive dumped a 100kg barbell bench press before, made alot of noise and made everyone at the gym stare

basically dont put collars on and if you fail, lower the bar on your chest and tip the bar to one side so the plates fall off then throw it away to your other side
thats a good one cheers

Just be informed it scared the fuck out of me and it really demotivated me, which hurt my bench in the longer run.
try not to do it every week lol

part of the learning process i guess

i tried that once, it crushed my wang so i had to roll it back onto my chest and wait for a few minutes to get my strength back.