• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

mundine fight tonight

Lol at the whole thing.

Is this really the pinnacle of australian boxing?

The contender was rigged and mundine got caught short.

Seriously we have boxers like katsidis and darchinyan taking on the best in the world! They should be house hold names! But instead more mexicans and americans know them than aussies. It doesnt make sense.

My heart slumped a little this morning when I heard the result.

Not because of the result, its good to have mundine short on words for a change. But rather for the coverage this is receiving when only 2 weeks ago Katsidis fought Marquez in the greatest fight in boxing of the year and possible in australian boxing history. What was mentioned of that? 1 online article on SMH which then went on to mention lauren eagle anyway....

Mundine V Wood result is like Green V Jones Jr result.

It won't mean shit to anyone except the winner and the haters.

The ring rankings probably wont bother taking it into consideration, and lets face it, it's probably the most honest rankings on the planet.

Care to revise that statement now?

Mundine lost to a rank amateur. Couldn't've happened to a more deserving bloke.

Sorry Kyle, I didn't see this earlier.

Honestly, I don't care to revise it. I'm not a mundine fan because I think he has really tainted the sport of boxing in Australia. But I'm not so ignorant as to deny the fact he definitely had the goods, he just didn't take the right options (whether by choice or stupidity, I dont know).

As for the fight, I watch the highlights this morning. If they are the "highlights" Im glad I didn't watch it. There are better quality fights at revesby workers on a saturday night...

Woods didn't deserve the fight. He got a winning punch in, but that doesn't mean he actually deserved to be there. The contender was rigged, if you saw it you would know what I mean. Woods is still a mug with no ability. This will do for his career what beating Jones jr did for Green, absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile we have blokes like I mentioned in my other post above pulling big names and quality fights. Lets not forgot Daniel geale too. He may have lost to Mundine, controversially I may add, but he is sitting in something like the number 5 ranked spot for Middle Weight.

That means he is considered at the same level as Martinez, Sturm, Pavlik etc.

People mundine wanted to fight not so long ago.

The fact so many people are now boxing experts because of this fight and the fact that it is receiving so much attention is a disgrace and shows why Australia is a laughing stock in the boxing world.

Yes, it was a scrappy fight. But what some people miss is that boxing ain't ballet. There's no prize for the prettiest fighter. If you get more good hits than the other guy or knock the other guy out, you win, that's that.

Saying, "sure he won but he isn't a good boxer, look at his technique" would be like me entering a deadlift competition with Konsantinov, I pull 130 and he pulls 430, and I say, "yeah but his back rounded, what a joke."

That'd be a wank, because at the end of the day what matters is the weight pulled. Likewise, in a boxing match, all that matters is points scored, or knockout achieved.

The reason people aren't interested in boxing is the same reason people aren't interested in powerlifting - having a heap of rival federations with different rules makes things hopelessly muddled. But of course if you had one federation then you could only have one President. It's the egos of the top guys in the federations that have diminished these sports, not the general public, still less whether someone rounds his back while lifting or is a scrappy fighter.

This fight has shown that all the talk about Mundine going to the US is irrelevant. He wouldn't have made it as a superstar. He will be remembered as a good but not great fighter.

Meanwhile Kostya gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Now there is a true champ for you....in and out of the ring. He always stepped up for the big fights...didn't dodge anyone.

^ I'll second that, I was lucky enough to meet him and he is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet.

A true champion in every sense of the word.

Yes, it was a scrappy fight. But what some people miss is that boxing ain't ballet. There's no prize for the prettiest fighter. If you get more good hits than the other guy or knock the other guy out, you win, that's that.

Saying, "sure he won but he isn't a good boxer, look at his technique" would be like me entering a deadlift competition with Konsantinov, I pull 130 and he pulls 430, and I say, "yeah but his back rounded, what a joke."

That'd be a wank, because at the end of the day what matters is the weight pulled. Likewise, in a boxing match, all that matters is points scored, or knockout achieved.

The reason people aren't interested in boxing is the same reason people aren't interested in powerlifting - having a heap of rival federations with different rules makes things hopelessly muddled. But of course if you had one federation then you could only have one President. It's the egos of the top guys in the federations that have diminished these sports, not the general public, still less whether someone rounds his back while lifting or is a scrappy fighter.

I can see what you are trying to say Kyle, but that analogy doesn't fit here.

If yours were correct you would be saying woods is an Excellent fighter but maybe keeps his front hand low and mundine is text book perfect except for his punching power.

This is not what I am saying at all.

It is legitimate to say he won but isn't a good boxer. Plenty of fighters have that one punch they cling to as their success, but nothing else ever really lived up to that level. It's called a lucky punch.

Boxing is the sweet science for a reason. There is a lot of grace within the movements that make a great boxer. Your use of "prettiest" doesn't fit right here. I think you are trying to say the one with the more graceful movements, better form, timing and spacial awareness - i.e. ballet. If I am wrong, I am sorry, but that's how it reads. If this is the case, then this often leads to the fighter winning.

We all know brawlers and mugs can gain some success in the ring, that's part of boxing, but the true greats are often the "prettiest" fighters. Look at ali, look at fraser, lewis, chavez, marquez, pacquiao. Hell, even tyson had great movement, it wasn't just his brutal force.

Mundine had the record and skill set to take on better fighters. Woods is a mug fighter and deserves to be an unknown. He should have ended his career as an amateur with a bad record. But that's the beauty of life right?

Mundine is still a better class of fighter than woods. But this argument is starting to make me look like a mundine fan, once again I am not.

I hope woods milks this for everything its worth and gets something bigger out of it. I can't see him being a staying force or one of the greats. If he gets a bigger fight out of this, that could very well be where it ends.

The different federations are an issue, but I would say its also got a lot to do with the media coverage and stigma that got attached to boxing over the years.

e.g. the UK used to be a breeding ground for world class fighters. The greatest american fighters would have to prove themselves to the world by travelling over the pond and taking on one of the poms or irish etc.

Now, their competition is lacking as much as the americans (not quite as much as australia). Why? look at the junior and amateur levels. The UK used to have boxing as part of P.E. and sport in schools. Then people claimed it was bad for their young without any scientific or medical support.

The americans are still hanging on thanks to their mexican immigrants.

Having people like don king forcing that last fight on Ali didn't help as people started to think EVERY boxer gets punch drunk or brain damaged from one sparring session.

I don't think the federation point really stands when the fighters in different federations can still fight each other. The welterweight division is as strong as the heavyweights used to be in the 70s and 80s. The biggest names are fighting the biggest names (except mayweather and pacquiao). I think Australia tends to be a bit of a bad loser and spoilt child when it comes to sport, so since there isn't an unbeatable Aussie in all the ranks, they don't really care? I could be wrong. But it is a crime considering our talent that is out there (similar to power lifting).

anyway I'm starting to go off on a tangent.

I'm now adding to the continual carry-on about this fight so I won't post again about it.

My final words will be that the fight shouldn't have existed, woods is a trailer park fighter and Mundine mouths off just for media attention. If anything Mundine should have fought junior and that should have been the end.

It was a disgrace to boxing. I hope that MAYBE a few more people will start to follow boxing now as it is arguably the greatest sport and fights like Katsidis and Darchinyan deserve our support. That could be the only positive to come out of this.

I love how Woods shoves his knees into Mundine as he's falling from the ko blow. Woods style is some hybrid shit between boxing and MMA.

MBB. Mixed Brawl Boxing?

Junior Talipau looked the best fighter on The Contender imo. I don't know if I agree that the show was rigged, but he def got dudded in his fight.

Hard to tell though with the way they edited the crap out of those fights. I much prefer they show the full fight like they do on The Ultimate Fighter reality show.

I doubt there is a happier man than me right now.

Sucked in Mundine and

Fuck You you arrogant piece of shit.
Who's the "Boxa" now?

Love this photo..I rerally, really do.

man down......again

was it just me or was that the worst boxing ring ever assembled? loose ropes must be a new tactic,kinda like punching in the back of the head durring a clinch. wonder who's management team rigged that one up.

LOL. I don't care about the ring, I don't care that Mundine looked like a doofus in those trunks and the hairstyle, all i care about is that he lost, was humbles and has been shot down in flames followed by his big mouth.

This really made my year.