• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo Deadlift Vs Regular Deadlift

Muu

Sumo Deadlift Vs Regular Deadlift

Now I"m now expert, but I lift a bit and I enjoy it. A mate asked me about the difference between a sumo deadie and a normal deadlift.

I had to honestly reply I really can't answer that question, I do more the regular legs about shoulder width apart..

Now I have done a search on the forum and can't find the answer.. so i'm wondering if some of the trainers on ausbb could point out the differences and why you do either one for us..

CHeers,

1 reduces the range of motion so you can

a.lift heavier
b. make it easier

Sumo will use other muscle groups yes, it should never take over form a conventional deadlift in training..

Even Ed Coan who lifts sumo style does most of his training conventional style then adds sumos with conventional up until a meet.

Powerlifting is about making something as short and easy as they possibly can.

Doesn't necessarily make it easier, otherwise all powerlifters would pull sumo.

Puts less strain on the lower back and puts more of the weight on the inside of the legs, which is why its common to hear "think about breaking the ground apart with your legs" for sumo deadlifts.

Doesn't necessarily make it easier, otherwise all powerlifters would pull sumo.

Puts less strain on the lower back and puts more of the weight on the inside of the legs, which is why its common to hear "think about breaking the ground apart with your legs" for sumo deadlifts.

Well it depends on the perosn and their leverages.

But ill tell you what they dont do it because its harder do they.

Perhaps the people who dead lift conventional are still somewhat men?

It all depends on your levers.

The 3 Strongest raw deadlifters all pull over 430kg conventional, Andy, Benedict and Konstantin.

If Sumo was easier, wouldnt they switch?

It all depends on your levers.

The 3 Strongest raw deadlifters all pull over 430kg conventional, Andy, Benedict and Konstantin.

If Sumo was easier, wouldnt they switch?

Yes but they are real men markos...

n00bs, it doesn't make it any easier. Have you ever tried it yourself?

I started out pulling conventional, then switched to sumo for a while. My levers are good for it, as my arms are short, and in a conventional setup, my back would almost be horizontal so I'm fucked before I even begin. My sumo progressed well for a short while then stopped completely. I now pull half-sumo, like a conventional setup but with arms inside legs, legs slightly wider than shoulder widith, middle fingers on the edges of the smooth.

The new style suits me much more than sumo. Sumo is damn frustrating. The weakest point is always on the ground. When I failed a sumo, the weight would get stuck on the ground. If it went up by 2 inches, it'd go up all the way and look easy. Add 2.5kg to it and it wouldn't even bulge.

A couple of guys who used to train with me tried switching from conventional to sumo cos they thought it's easier, like you do. They pulled 15~20kg less.

Yes we all do what is easier for us...

And for alot of powerlifters that appears to be sumo.

If they could lift more in conventional would they not?

Yes we all do what is easier for us...

And for alot of powerlifters that appears to be sumo.

If they could lift more in conventional would they not?

Define "a lot". Based on what, youtube clips you've seen?

I train at a powerlifting club where there's zero sumo lifter.

How many sumo lifters have you seen at CAPO and PA Nationals? I saw very few.

As for your comment on their manliness, Adam Coe pulled sumo. Are you going to say that to his face?

Then dont act like one,I'm laying in bed watching bad boys 2.

Please tell me why someone would do something where they lift less weight and make it harder for themselves in a competition that is measured from total weight moved?

Obviously people so it because it is easier for them.

Please tell me why someone would do something where they lift less weight and make it harder for themselves in a competition that is measured from total weight moved?

Key word highlighted.

People will do what is necessary to win. If they pull a bigger number sumo, why wouldn't they pull sumo.

Sumo pulls are allowed in competition, so unless you are going to start a no sumo allowed competition...

Last edited:
Come on n00bs.....how much is 'a lot'? 30? 100? 2453?

Is it more or less than 51% of powerlifters that you personally know? Seen On YouTube? That you coach? Do you mean a lot of PL's in your state? In Australia? Australasia? Globally? What?!

if it's more then that's 'most'. Even then though I'd be curious to know where you got your data from.

Even if it was 1% why would they do it if it made the lift harder for them pr?

Both of you answer me that..

Not one lifter in the Vic section pulled Sumo yesterday at the CAPO National Deadlift comp.

It is DEFINITELY not easier to pull Sumo, otherwise we would have seen at least one lifter use this technique.

From my understanding Christian, you have never been to a powerlifting comp.

All lifters use different squat stances, bar positioning, bench grips, deadlift stances, to suit their own body, strengths, leverages.

Are you saying those that use a wider grip on benches do so coz its easier?

Your comment doesnt actually make any sense.

Are you suggesting a lifter should use a technique that forces him to lift less weight in competition.

If you mandate on DL technique, you'll have to do the same on squat, stance width, bar positioning and bench grip.

Before answering, think about what your suggesting.

I have only had one lifter use sumo at PTC, because its much harder than conventional in my opinion.

75% of the strongest deadlifters at my Gym pull Sumo.

I don't because it's uncomfortable and awkward. If I had better hip mobility I would pull Sumo if it allows me to pull more.

For reference the average pull of our top is 240-250kg. I have almost 20kg bodyweight on the other lifters.

The constant, instant breakdown of discussion into a pissing match and childish name-calling is becoming tiresome and boring. Grow up.